Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: USB Device Not Recognized/Malfunctioned

Default USB Device Not Recognized/Malfunctioned
    A friend of mine gave me a first generation iPod Touch, 8GB. Its Stuck at the "Connect To iTunes" logo, and when you connect it to the computer, it says that the "USB Device has malfunctioned, please replace this device." I have tried numerous things to get this iPod to work. DFU mode, Recovery mode. Libusb, 3 different computers and 2 different cables. Is this iPod completely dead? is there any tricks or anything i can do to get it working? I would really like to use it, and i don't have the money to buy a new one.

Any replies or help would be appreciated.

Thanks, Garrett

Thanks
    Thanked 12,540 Times in 7,596 Posts

Welcome to MMi,
    Sounds like you have a dock connector issue with the iPod, search for member one1, he does repairs for members, very reasonable and respected too.

Thanks so much for the quick reply,
    I have quite alot of knowledge about computers and computer repairs. would it be possible to repair this myself?

Thanks

I've fixed a first generation iPod Touch, and it was a real pain in the bunghole.

I've repaired a variety of 2nd/3rd gens, and am also a avid computer guy.

I'm pretty sure ALL dock connectors are chip level repairs (I'm assuming it needs to be replaced) so unless you can solder at chip-level, I wouldn't dare attempt..