Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: What about ipod 4G/4.0, and JBing?

Exclamation What about ipod 4G/4.0, and JBing?
    All I have been hearing about lately on the forums is about iphone 4G/ios 4.0. What about rumored features about ipod touch 4G/ios 4.0 and about ios 4.0 jailbreaks? I have an ipod Touch 3.1.2 3G blackra1ned, don't really care about nor need an iphone. and would love to hear any news about finally not having to be tethered

So what things can we look for in the ipod touch's future? Moreover, is the ipod touch ios 4.0 planned to be released on June 24, 2010, or is that only for the iphone? The only rumor I have heard about itouch 4G is that it might have a camera, which I would certainly sell my current itouch and buy .

Also, any news on Jailbreaking ios 4.0 for the itouches? Once again, I have only heard about sucessfull beta JBs on the iphone. Even though several devs have Jailbroken ios 4.0betas, I really don't think that means anything. The devs have only done it on betas, and most likely any possible exploits will be spotted before ios 4.0 final is realeased by apple. In addition, I believe that ios 4.0 will be loaded with security, and might even have a drastically changed firmware structure, rendering many apps made before ios 4.0 useless unless updated .
    Last edited by Tamkis; 2010-06-11 at 07:27 PM. Reason: Typos hindering comprehension

Livin the iPhone Life CaptainChaos's Avatar
    Thanks

You can have an untethered iPod touch right now by 1.Updating to 3.1.3 in iTunes, 2.Downloading and running Spirit on it, then 3. Re-install all of your Cydia Apps, Themes, Tweaks.

As far as 4.0 goes I haven't heard anything about it. You will have to pay for it though as usual with the leap to a new OS.

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Apple announced that this year we iPod touch users will be able to update to iOS 4 for free, so you will definitely have it available on the 21st for free.

I'd be shocked if the official jailbreak for iOS 4 didn't cover iPod touch. My guess is that the exploits being used for the betas are "extra" exploits and that there will be enough to jailbreak all devices after launch. Of course this is nothing official, but you see the patterns and watch how the hackers work - I think it's a fair bet.
    Last edited by wvcachi; 2010-06-12 at 05:42 PM.

My iPhone is a Part of Me Frostbite's Avatar
    over the hill across the river and through the candy cane forest
    Thanks

The redsn0w 0.9.5b that is out right now will jailbreak the iOS4.0 gold master, and while it is meant for dev's if you look around I'm sure you will find someone who will sell you UDID's.
    If you wanna thank me hit "Thanks" in the lower left of my post. If you would like to follow me on twitter click here

Thanks

Unless I'm mistaken, this beta jailbreak you linked to is not for iPod touch - only iPhone 3G.

My iPhone is a Part of Me Frostbite's Avatar
    over the hill across the river and through the candy cane forest
    Thanks

I believe it works for iPod touch 2g but I could be wrong, with an official release it will undoubtedly cover all devices for which the exploit allows.
    If you wanna thank me hit "Thanks" in the lower left of my post. If you would like to follow me on twitter click here

Cool 3.1.3=crap, Spirit over Blackra1n = disaster
    Quote Originally Posted by CaptainChaos View Post
    You can have an untethered iPod touch right now by 1.Updating to 3.1.3 in iTunes, 2.Downloading and running Spirit on it, then 3. Re-install all of your Cydia Apps, Themes, Tweaks.

As far as 4.0 goes I haven't heard anything about it. You will have to pay for it though as usual with the leap to a new OS.
    One can update to 3.1.3 for the ipod touch right now, but the only problem is that I have heard that, since it is a newer firmware, that not all JB apps, mods, tweaks &c are not compatible. I am saying this from all of the "3.1.3: no new features" warnings that I saw in Rock around febuary. It would fix the tetheredness, though.

If I were able to, I would at least upgrade to 3.1.3 to erase the blackra1n JB and then downgrade to the more JB friendly 3.1.2 with a SHSH blob, but I didn't learn about downgrading until after Apple stop signing 3.1.2 FW . Spirit untethers the more-friendly 3.1.2 FW. Spirit over Blackra1n=disaster from what I've seen in the forums, so I haven't dared try Spirit.

Thanks

Oh man, I completely understand your interpretation, but I think a misunderstanding is holding you back.

Everything works on 3.1.3. Those warnings were before Spirit was released - they were basically telling you not to upgrade because there wasn't anything new in 3.1.3, so don't lose your jailbreak over it.

But now that Spirit is out, you can upgrade and be untethered with no problems. Spirit is an excellent, easy-to-use jailbreak.

Livin the iPhone Life CaptainChaos's Avatar
    Thanks

I haven't run into any issues on the ipt3g that I have jailbroken on 3.1.3 with Spirit. Apps work. I updated to 3.1.3 via iTunes and then used Spirit. I love the untethered part of it and that is the whole reason I did it.