Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Ipod Touch 3g vs 3gs

Default Ipod Touch 3g vs 3gs
    Quick question:
    Which is better the
    32gb/64gb ipod touch 3g vs a 32gb iphone 3gs

My friend is trying to sell me his 3gs but idk if i want to buy it
    The only feature thatd be beneficial would be a video camera and a mic.

Any input on which one to choose?

Thanks

How bad do you want a camera? I'd say get the phone and use it.

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

I just went from a 3GS to a 3rd gen touch and yes, the conventional wisdom is that, if you can get an iPhone, get that. I won't argue, but just to play devil's advocate, there are, to me, some really nice perks to having a touch:

- first and foremost, no AT&T. I use a Verizon Mifi with my touch and I'm a happy man.

- Not having cell service, the iPod touch has more free memory, and, therefore, is faster. Even when I'm backgrounding Skype, it seems faster.

- Over time, it comes out to be cheaper to get a touch with a Mifi contract ($60/mo.) than to get an iPhone with an AT&T contract (if you don't mind using Skype and a headset for your calls)

- a 64GB option!

To each their own, and I know I'm in the minority here, but that's one dude's opinion. You really can't go wrong with either device.
    Last edited by wvcachi; 2010-06-10 at 04:27 AM.

What's Jailbreak? Lovebirdparakeet's Avatar
    Thanks

Don't get a iPhone 3GS wait for the iPhone 4 it's the same price.

Well im saying that i wuf only use it like an ipod touch as i dont have at&t. Is the 3gsany faster than the 32gb ipod touch? If i want a camera shud i jusy w8 till september?

Thanks

They have the same processor and total RAM. The 3rd gen touch is faster than the 3GS because it doesn't have to commit memory to a phone. Using the iPhone without cell service might even things out, but I can't imagine any reason it would be any faster than the touch.

No matter which you use, you can speed things up (once jailbroken) by deleting launchdaemons and language packs you don't need (see guides on this site).

One thing to remember, if you're using an iPhone without a SIM card, every time you restore or upgrade your firmware, you're going to need to borrow somebody's activated AT&T SIM to activate it in iTunes (yes, even before you can use it like it's an iPod touch).
    *It's possible an upcoming carrier unlock will help skip that step though.

We can all speculate, but my guess is that the next touch in September will have not only a camera, but also the high-res. retina display of the new iPhone, faster processor, and MAYBE front-facing camera for video chat. Huzzah. . . . You could always get either a 3rd gen touch or 3GS now, and then sell it to help pay for a 4th gen touch in a few months . . .

Lots of things to consider, it really depends on your priorities. Good luck!
    Last edited by wvcachi; 2010-06-10 at 07:02 PM.

What's Jailbreak? Lovebirdparakeet's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by domthebigbomb View Post
    Well im saying that i wuf only use it like an ipod touch as i dont have at&t. Is the 3gsany faster than the 32gb ipod touch? If i want a camera shud i jusy w8 till september?
    iPhone 4 will release in june 24 or 24 you should wait for it.
    You can video chat in it too.
    And the best part is that it's the same price as iPhone 3gs.
    iPhone 4 has led flash too.

OH the iphone 3gs is faster
    Last edited by Lovebirdparakeet; 2010-06-11 at 02:07 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    Lovebirdparakeet

I made this in photoshop
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

but to get the iphone 4 u need a contract

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Lovebirdparakeet View Post
    OH the iphone 3gs is faster
    Than a 3rd gen. iPod touch? Not in my experience: I've had 4 different 3GS iPhones in the last year, and the 3rd gen touch I'm using now is most definitely faster. Same processor, same RAM, same firmware, but no active memory dedicated to cell service = faster. It's not a mind-blowing difference either way, but mine is noticeably faster. Who knows, maybe somebody else's is different . . . ?