Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Tranfering Music

Default Tranfering Music
    I know this might be stupid but it's been some time sense I've down anything with the Itouch but here's the question.

I need to update my Itouch to the newest firmware and I do know that I will lost all the music when it updates and I need to know how I would be able to transfer the music to my computer with out a 3rd party software knowing that I don't have the music on my computer due to reformatting.

I really don't want to lose all the music on the touch.

Well, you can 'Transfer Purchases' which takes the songs that you've purchased that are on your iPod and puts them on a computer (that you've authorized). It doesn't cover songs that you imported. Otherwise, back-up everything on CDs, DVDs, or an external HD.

Can you ssh to the itouch and be able to export the music that way as well and if so what would be the file to be able to find them?

In theory. But the music files (/private/var/mobile/Media/iTunes_Control/Music/ is where it's kept, then there's a lot of files to search through) are not named as they look on your computer, and it's quite an inefficient way to transfer music (as you'd have to do the whole thing manually). I'd still suggest you transfer purchases later or get a bunch of discs or a drive to put it on, it'll save you a lot of time and you wont have to decipher the file names.