Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: HOW to get iPHONE apps onto iPOD ??

Default HOW to get iPHONE apps onto iPOD ??
    Hi all,
    This is a bit of a general question but I can't find an answer..

I have iPhone 3G and iPod Touch 1G. Both jailbroken.
    Both run OS 3.0.0

I can sync / load some iPhone apps to the iPod as well (that is obvious) but some that use GPS (such as Co-Pilot, Navigon etc) will NOT load because the iPod KNOWS it does not have GPS!!

Of course, I have iGPS360 module and know that works with xGPS - and the GPS apps that do load to the iPOD work fine.

THE question is - how to trick the apps to loading to the iPod (or to make the iPod look like an iPhone).

I STRESS THIS IS NOTHING to do with cracks - all I want to do is put my MAPPING and GPS applications (legitimately purchased) - which load onto my iPhone - onto my IPOD.

There must be a simple toggle or something similar ??
    I am happy with SSH into the devices as they are both jailbroken.

Many thanks.

Thanks

But why would you want to load a mapping program on your ipod if you can't use it on your ipod?

Thanks
    Thanked 1,681 Times in 1,159 Posts

Read his post again.. he has a GPS plug-in module.

Thanks

ahh.. my bad.. did't see that part of the post.
    hmm.. I guess you could ssh. Have you tried copying the folder from the iphone to the ipod?

It takes for ever over WiFi....

Thanks
    Thanked 5,329 Times in 3,113 Posts

it wouldnt work anyways. You would have to find a way to change or spoof the device identifier

My iPhone is a Part of Me Frostbite's Avatar
    over the hill across the river and through the candy cane forest
    Thanks

The only way I could think of is using a Dirty install with **********. That might work.

Ok so it edited out intstalus (really spelled differently) but in this case you legitimately downloaded the app so it could be used for good instead of pirating.
    Last edited by Frostbite; 2009-09-02 at 07:44 PM.

Well I copied it from the iphone via wifi then to the ipod with iphone browser..

But it does not appear in the springboard..
    So something is missing..

Hmmm - the suggested method *may* have worked, but I am not comfortable with the idea.

Surely there is a way of fooling iTunes / App Store that an iPod is an iPhone ??!! Oh and I don't think you can update either....
    Last edited by radiomean; 2009-09-02 at 09:04 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Livin the iPhone Life seann33uk's Avatar
    Thanks

redownload it through itunes on the ipod using the same account as the iphone?
    you won't be charged for it as long as its the same account.
    Being an i can be a lot of pressure. you have to live right up to the small point.

Thanks, but no, that does not work....

As I said in the OP the WHOLE problem is either the APPs or iTunes or both, recognise whether I am syncing with:

a) iPHone - in which case, all GPS apps WILL transfer
    b) iPOD - and in this case, MOST GPS apps WILL NOT transfer (as iTunes 'knows' the iPod has not got GPS

Trying the same using the APP STORE on the iPod produces the same results - the GPS APPS are not listed on the iPod.

There *MUST* be a 'toggle' somewhere in the apps or the iPod that stops the download??

That's the problem.

(I have already found you can put the same purchased app from your account on several devices - up to five I think).

================================================== ============================
    ================================================== ============================

Oh - some extra information that may be useful - sorry for long post.

I copied a mapping app from my iPhone to my computer, then copied it to the same location on the iPod using iPhoneBrowser.

But even though all the files seem to be on the iPod, the app does not appear in the springboard..

But - as it can be done by the 'suggested' way there must surely be an easier and cleaner way. After all (as I stress) I have paid for the apps and I have GPS modules that work fine on the iPod - and I don't like being stopped from putting any app I bought on the iPod.

After all it is my problem if there is no GPS functionality. G-Map (X Roads) - WILL load onto the iPod (but the information stresses there will be no real time navigation due to lack of GPS) - and you can browse the maps. But most other mapping apps won't load.

Thanks for the help everyone.
    Last edited by radiomean; 2009-09-03 at 09:19 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost