Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Replace HD in iPhone?

Default Replace HD in iPhone?
    You think it would be possible (As long as your good at unsoldering and resoldering) to replace the 8gb HD with a 16 gb iPod touch's HD?

Hmm.. this is an interesting concept.. I think it would be possible as long as you had all the files and stuff to run an iPhone on the iPT 16GB HD..

it really wouldn;t work, since the iphone/touch son;t use hard drives, rather they use flash memory. flash memory uses tiny little chips, and it would be near-impossible to add more.

This subject was brought up in another thread. Just the fact that you are calling it a "hard drive" means ..you prolly shouldn't try to do it.

Quote Originally Posted by pingywon View Post
    This subject was brought up in another thread. Just the fact that you are calling it a "hard drive" means ..you prolly shouldn't try to do it.
    Wow... Some people really need to get a life. I know its not a "Hard Drive" but the majority of people will call it that. In fact on most websites, if not all, it is under the hard drive category... sooo good luck with all that!

Just because the majority is wrong is no reason to side with them... Set an example by using correct terminology.

interesting concept. The task to utilize the iTouch Flash Memory for the iPhone maybe daunting. If I'm not mistaken the iTouch uses two flash banks while the iphone uses one (again I may be wrong.) switching the flash memory may not be as simple.

lol here

http://www.modmyi.com/forums/showthr...ghlight=boosty

interestingly enough Pingywon had the same amount of "useful" insight to share each time

even though neither Junker or myself said we were going to attempt anything

and I also started out my thread calling it "memory" and ended up referring to it as "hard-drive" because of someone who replied after me.
    Last edited by Boosty; 2007-09-17 at 07:30 AM.

Cool thing about flash memory is less chance on it going bad compared to the HDD that are in some ipods. =P

save a disk image
    desoldering all the connectors(100s??) .... remove the chips
    solder the new larger capacities ones on
    then flash the disk image

sounds like a lot of weekend projects =) lol ... sigh
    Best Regards

Quote Originally Posted by Junkers View Post
    Wow... Some people really need to get a life. I know its not a "Hard Drive" but the majority of people will call it that. In fact on most websites, if not all, it is under the hard drive category... sooo good luck with all that!
    Funny to me how defensive you get - just proves your ignorance I suppose.

I was simply trying to be correct in both instances of both posts.

....carry on

Quote Originally Posted by Jimbo View Post
    Just because the majority is wrong is no reason to side with them... Set an example by using correct terminology.
    Reminds me of Family Feud - truth and fact meant nothing... Answers were always "Survey Says" or as I like to think of it-> pooled ignorance...

Use the correct terms and people will think you know what you're talking about!! ;-}

Default Common Guys...
    Ok,

So the bickering has settled down and now possibly things can move forward on this thread. So, short of getting ahold of iTouch memory and trying to use that, what is the possibility of getting the 16 Gig chip from Samsung and do a replacement this way. I would hope that the 16 Gig chip from Samsung would be a pin for pin replacement on the 8 Gig chip.
    Has anybody else got any info on this?

Justace

My iPhone is a Part of Me PhoneLine's Avatar
    Thanks

I saw one on eBay a while back before the Touch even came out. It was a 4 gig phone that was upgraded to 16 gig I believe. It had a crazy high reserve and starting price, so I have no idea if it sold or not, and just cause it was on eBay doesn't even mean its real.

For talk sake though, if the failsafe restore when the phone needs to be connected to itunes is on the phone's ROM, then if a totally clean 16 gig flash was installed, it 'might' be possible to just do a restore and get the firmware back in.

Then there is also the possibility thats the phones firmware will not see more then 8 gigs. So, you could install it and it'll only format to 8. Like trying to put a big HD in a old PC, the bios needs to support it. So, could have a similar issue here.

That being said, you'd need to be more then good at soldering. I've not seen the inside of the phone up close, but normally your looking at 50-60 solder points on a area thats like one inch long. I still remember sweating when I did my PS2!
    Last edited by PhoneLine; 2007-11-09 at 07:07 PM.

iPhone? More like MyPhone Stealth1029's Avatar
    Thanks

Well, craptastic, Apple screws us once again, look at the following:

iPhone 8g flash:

iPod Touch 8g flash:

As you can see, the 8gb iPhone has one 8gb Samsung flash, while the 8gb iPod Touch has 2 4gb Toshiba flashes. There you go, it's not possible.

Default 4to 8 gb?
    would that be okay to do?

Thanks

does it really matter? we all know what the other is talking about. its where the files are located. does it truly matter what we call it? i think from now on i will refer to them as floppy drives in my iphone/ipod touch. just to spite all of those of you who feel so self righteous that you have to correct anyone that doesnt use the terminology you wish they had used.

i mean seriously guys leave them alone, they have an excellent idea here, they really do. if it can be done, i dont know. but it shows someone is thinking and could very well give us an eye opener to truly fully understand the workings of the iphone/ipod touch. I.E. if they decide to do it, and get the 16gb "Floppy Drive" into their iphone/ipod touch but the iphone/ipod touch doesnt recognize it as more than 8gb, then that would tell us there is as someone stated earlier. "bios-like issues" if the firmware resides on a different portion of the phone than you could theoretically place a brand new empty "Floppy Drive" into the iphone/ipod touch and flash using the restore method through itunes right?

If this can be done than that would be awesome.

oh and btw inside of the ipod touch there are 2 memory banks for the flash. so the 16gb has two 8gb flash banks in it. so a 8gb ipod touch has two 4gb flash banks and well you get the point. to my knowledge the iphone/ipod touch will recognize how ever much flash is in there. so theoretically if you were to find a set of 2 20 gig flash banks the same size with the same pin out of the flash banks in the ipod touch you could make a 40 gig ipod touch.

and on a side note the iphone has 1 flash bank in it. so the 8 gb iphone has 1 8gb flash bank in it.
    Last edited by commando1257; 2007-11-12 at 07:45 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    Powerbook G4 17"-- 10.5 Leopard
    iPhone 1.1.1 T-mobile
    iPod 80 gig Video

iPhone? More like MyPhone Stealth1029's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by commando1257 View Post
    does it really matter? we all know what the other is talking about. its where the files are located. does it truly matter what we call it? i think from now on i will refer to them as floppy drives in my iphone/ipod touch. just to spite all of those of you who feel so self righteous that you have to correct anyone that doesnt use the terminology you wish they had used.

i mean seriously guys leave them alone, they have an excellent idea here, they really do. if it can be done, i dont know. but it shows someone is thinking and could very well give us an eye opener to truly fully understand the workings of the iphone/ipod touch. I.E. if they decide to do it, and get the 16gb "Floppy Drive" into their iphone/ipod touch but the iphone/ipod touch doesnt recognize it as more than 8gb, then that would tell us there is as someone stated earlier. "bios-like issues" if the firmware resides on a different portion of the phone than you could theoretically place a brand new empty "Floppy Drive" into the iphone/ipod touch and flash using the restore method through itunes right?

If this can be done than that would be awesome.

oh and btw inside of the ipod touch there are 2 memory banks for the flash. so the 16gb has two 8gb flash banks in it. so a 8gb ipod touch has two 4gb flash banks and well you get the point. to my knowledge the iphone/ipod touch will recognize how ever much flash is in there. so theoretically if you were to find a set of 2 20 gig flash banks the same size with the same pin out of the flash banks in the ipod touch you could make a 40 gig ipod touch.

and on a side note the iphone has 1 flash bank in it. so the 8 gb iphone has 1 8gb flash bank in it.
    Just like I previously stated here, iPod Touch does have two flash banks, BUT iPhone one is Samsung, and the iPod Touch two are Toshiba. if they have the same amount of pins, you MIGHT be able to stack them if you have enough space in the iPhone. But its not looking very possible right now.

Thanks

honestly i think the idea is good, but not feasible. way to use your thinking caps thou. i dont think you could fit two on top of each other i just dont think there is room.
    Powerbook G4 17"-- 10.5 Leopard
    iPhone 1.1.1 T-mobile
    iPod 80 gig Video