Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Boot Camp Vs. Parallel?

Default Boot Camp Vs. Parallel?
    I am looking to get another operating system on my macbook to play videos games (the ones that mac doesnt support) but im not sure which one i should get. I've heard that boot camp crashes your computer continuously but I have also heard that Parallel is worst and makes your computer freeze/crash etc.

Which is the best and why?

any information would be greatly appreciated, thanks.

My iPhone is a Part of Me IvanPK's Avatar
    Thanks

I just got a new Macbook and I'm running Parallels Desktop with XP Pro, it's great. I can play Counterstrike Source on it fine, I haven't installed other games yet.
    I say go with Parallels, the 'Coherence' mode is pretty cool. ALso, when it's also in full screen I can forget that i'm running os x at the same time, because there's no screen delay or anything.
    Last edited by IvanPK; 2009-03-16 at 04:09 AM.

no for gaming make a new partition and use the full memory not just half

trust me you will be dissapointed if you choose parallels

unless you have the macbook with 4GB of memory but even so you will me happier with bootcamp

I'm gonna take a video of parallels in action and post a youtube link soon if anyone wants, purely because I'm bored. :P
    sounds good

from what I understand you need to reboot your system to go from one partition to the other with bootcamp, but with parallels you can run a different os in a window without shutting down your mac os... AM I correct?

yes but it only can use a portion of your resources to work on, remember that it has to support all of the OS X software at the same time

with a partition it only takes a reboot to get on but if he is going to be sitting there playing games he wont want to use osx anyway

so I'm correct, but in the long run bootcamp works better. Cool thanks for the info
    The other plus to this is bootcamp came with my os and I wouldn't need to buy it, unlike parallels

i bought parallels because i dont run anything too intensive so its not a big deal

i also have xp running on a partition so im set if i still want to use it for somthing heavy

interesting ^^^ very cool

I was only going to run windows so I could use some of these windows type iPhone applications winscp, iphonebrowser, quickpwn, ect...
    figured I could also help make some guides too

My iPhone is a Part of Me IvanPK's Avatar
    Thanks

yeah the video wasn't good, it didn't have a high refresh rate so it wasn't worth it.

I'd say that yes, bootcamp will obviously be the best bet. But Parallels is great because it is much more convenient, and for me there's no slowdown that I can see. Try VMWare Fusion or Crossover Mac as well... I think Crossover is free?

My iPod is a Part of Me bteamer's Avatar
    Thanks

I use VMWare Fusion, and it's nice just to run a program or two on, or just to try out Windows 7. BUT, if you're playing games, I do not recomment VMWare AT ALL.
    Quote Originally Posted by bhz1 View Post
    LOL! DOesnt everyone know that only real women know how to handle a stick?
    Quote Originally Posted by ALL DAY View Post
    As long as Miguel can blow...he's straight.
    I dread that first dusting of the white stuff.
    Quote Originally Posted by blkcadi View Post
    ready for a romp buddy? ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Where can i get a copy of windows xp? and which one should i get, i tryed installing XP through uturrent but it wouldn't open and it wouldnt not work. this mac is starting to frustrate me with what little it can actually do. It wont open the windows office i downloaded also. Could someone please help me learn how to get these programs to work?!?!

We can't help you find a cracked version of XP, google it

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

i have parallels desktop 4.0.. and it wont let me open quickpwn for windows... i keep getting a termination error.. anyone help?

My iPod is a Part of Me bteamer's Avatar
    Thanks

Do you have .NET Framework installed?
    LOL! DOesnt everyone know that only real women know how to handle a stick?
    Quote Originally Posted by ALL DAY View Post
    As long as Miguel can blow...he's straight.
    I dread that first dusting of the white stuff.
    Quote Originally Posted by blkcadi View Post
    ready for a romp buddy? ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

I run parallels and it works perfect for my needs, very easy...very quick.