Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: free iPod touch apps petition

iPhone? More like MyPhone screamo's Avatar
    Thanks

Lightbulb free iPod touch apps petition
    sorry I can't provide a link but if you google around you'll find it. I found this through tuaw. There's an online petition that already has over 8000 signatures. It's pretty obvious what its for, the title of thos explains it. And if someone that finds the petition using a comptuer could post the link here (if thats okay) than thatd be sweet! Thanks!

2. The Following User Says Thank You to screamo For This Useful Post:

WhyWoodAntI (2008-01-18)

wow...

Not gonna happen. The question is asked in the petition, "Why do iPhone user doesn't have to pay anything but ipod touch user have to?" The answer is simple, it all comes down to how costs are amortized for a product. In the case of the iPhone, costs are amortized over a 24 month period, therefore new features can be added for free during that time.

For products who do not have their costs amortized, bug fixes and such are fine, but new features are out, or else the accountants and lawyers will have their wrath.

Since the iPod Touch didn't ship with these apps originally, a fee must be paid to gain these new features.

How this fee was arrived at, I have no idea, but I would have to assume that the bean counters somehow calculated development costs and such for these apps, and are charging accordingly.

I found this link giving similar info, and also specifically mentioning the Apple TV (article is from April '07) that it also has a 24 month amortization.
    Last edited by Jimbo; 2008-01-18 at 04:58 PM.

Thanks

I just don't like the fact that i gotta pay $20 for this upgrade. If i have to pay for the SDK coming up, i'm just gonna take advantage of my no questions asked warranty and get a new one that has it already in it cause i'm not paying extra money.

And aren't iPhone users paying every month so they can talk on the phone, text, use edge and bluetooth and all that jazz? Why do they get extras for something they probably aren't expecting?

I just don't like the fact that i gotta pay $20 for this upgrade. If i have to pay for the SDK coming up, i'm just gonna take advantage of my no questions asked warranty and get a new one that has it already in it cause i'm not paying extra money.

And aren't iPhone users paying every month so they can talk on the phone, text, use edge and bluetooth and all that jazz? Why do they get extras for something they probably aren't expecting?

Thanks

sorry the internet just freaked out on me and posted that last comment twice. I don't know how to delete this second one though so sorry!!
    Last edited by screamo; 2008-01-18 at 09:49 PM.

You don't have the pay $20 for the upgrade. It's completely optional. If you do a warranty repair, I have no idea if you'll get the new software or if it will still need to be unlocked by iTunes when you sync the Touch.

iPhone users are paying for phone service, yes, but that's not what I was talking about. It's all about how Apple (in this case) amortized the revenue from the sale of the product in question. It's an accounting thing, but there are legal stipulations as well, on what exactly they can give away free, and what needs to be charged for. Phone service has nothing to do with this point, which is why I also mentioned the Apple TV in the above linked article.

You don't have the pay $20 for the upgrade. It's completely optional. If you do a warranty repair, I have no idea if you'll get the new software or if it will still need to be unlocked by iTunes when you sync the Touch.

iPhone users are paying for phone service, yes, but that's not what I was talking about. It's all about how Apple (in this case) amortized the revenue from the sale of the product in question. It's an accounting thing, but there are legal stipulations as well, on what exactly they can give away free, and what needs to be charged for. Phone service has nothing to do with this point, which is why I also mentioned the Apple TV in the above linked article.
    Last edited by Jimbo; 2008-01-19 at 12:26 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

My iPhone is a Part of Me
    Thanks

-- I think it is totally Fine that apple is charging $20. since it does take a lot of effort to create these -

hey New featuers..! Atleast you have the option
    Last edited by jayc7176; 2008-01-19 at 01:21 AM.

Hi Jimbo I read both your post and your link. i may not understand correctly but is this a thing specific to apple or do all companies do this. I just got my ipod touch for Christmas. I've had a psp from the initial release, but i have gotten all kinds of new apps all the way to now which is almost 3 years. these apps included an internet browser. i have not paid one cent. so i just don't understand why i have to pay for a few apps that required little to no additional programing.
    thanks