Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Rip DVD on Mac OS X made easy

Default Rip DVD on Mac OS X made easy
    If youíve got a 6th-generation iPod (iPod touch, iPod nano, iPod classic) an iPhone, a Zune or some other players, one of the things you probably want to do is put movies on it. After all, movies really do look great on the iPod, and itís a lot easier to carry around than a laptop or portable DVD player.

The problem is that commercial DVDs are copy-protected, which means you canít ďripĒ them in iTunes as you can a music CD. So you need a special tool that removes this copy protection as it extracts the video content; if that tool can then convert the video to a format suitable for playback on your iPod, iPhone or other players, even better. (And by the way, Iím not talking about movies youíve rented or borrowed; Iím talking about movies you actually own.)

My favorite tool for accomplishing this task is iSkysoft DVD Ripper for Mac. Some people may use Handbrake for it is free. But using HandBrake requires you to choose the right settings, which some people have found frustrating; after all, given how lengthy the process of converting a DVD to an iPod-ready movie can be, itís a hassle to get all the way to the end only to discover that your video file wonít play on your players.
    ISkysoft DVD Ripper for Mac makes the process easier, unlike HandBrake, which requires you to choose a number of different settings, such as video size, frame rate, bit rate, audio sample rate, video and audio format, and so on, it makes all those choice for you: The resulting video file is automatically resized for screen, using compression settings that are a good compromise (size vs. quality) for watching. It let you merge and convert all the titles or chapters you want to convert into one file.

Using iSkysoft DVD Ripper for Mac couldnít be much easier. You insert your DVDóone you own , of courseóand then launch the application; Click the Load DVD button, browse your computer, find the DVD folder of the movie you want to add from your hard disc or DVD-ROM, open your DVD folder, select the VIDEO_TS folder and click OK. Select an output format from the Format drop-down list. Just select a format according to the device you want to put. Click Rip...and then wait...and wait...and wait. Seriously, compressing and converting video is a slow process. When conversion is finished, simply drag the resulting file into iTunes (if you want to put DVD on iPod), and the next time you sync, the movie will be copied to your iPod.

Is this legal?

Some readers may be wondering if using a tool such as iSkysoft DVD Ripper is legal.

The courts have ruled that breaking encryption is a violation of Digital Millennium Copyright Act (DMCA), but they have also ruled that making copies of music and other media you have purchased is legal and considered "fair use".

The DMCA is a USA construct, some countries have similar laws, and because DVDs are encrypted you have to decrypt them to copy them. Now if you hooked your DVD player to a VCR and copied the DVD this is not the same or a violation - the DVD is decrypted by the DVD player (the manufacturer bought the rights to the decryption key) and you are copying onto a VCR tape and the video is now unencrypted. This is the way people copy iTunes encrypted music to MP3 - they copy the analog unencrypted audio stream and convert it back to digital. Needless to say, for a movie, this means playing the whole movie to copy it.

The DVD Ripper, uses some code (DeCSS) by "DVD John" to break the encryption key and make a digital copy (bit for bit) so you can backup a DVD in minutes (on fast machines) and you don't have to watch it. It is like copying an entire data CD.

The US has not ruled specifically (that I know of) if this is legal or not, as it requires a violation of DMCA to do something that is allowed. Personally, I consider it fair use. I backup music CDs, so why can't I back up movies, or convert them to a format that fits on my phone? I believe I can.

An interesting development lately, a company that makes a DVD player and also a storage system just one a related case. Their player rips your DVDs to a massive hard drive and you then have digital versions of all your DVDs so you can watch them in any room of your house. It is pretty high end and stuff, but the important thing is that they won their case as they have a licensed key in their player and the court saw this as fair use. The key decrypts DVDs and they just decrypt and store them. The DVD association and MPAA are really pissed at these guys and are the ones that sued them; they don't like a precedent that may let the public backup DVDs.

Anyway, make your own informed decision. If you live outside the US, it may be legal for you anyway.

So we have ads on MMF now?

Handbrake is free, and you just click on the preference tab, select iPod, or iPhone and away you go.

Don't waste your money on pay ware if you don't have to.

Just my two cents,

Denis
    What, I upgraded to 1.1.2 and now my iPhone is bricked?

Thanks

Mac the Ripper (another DVD ripper) is also free, and allows you to extract only the movie instead of the entire DVD.
    Get "iPod & iTunes for Dummies", it'll change your life.