Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Broke my iPod touch...Will be GIVING $$ to the person that can solve my problem

Default Broke my iPod touch...Will be GIVING $$ to the person that can solve my problem
    This is a long and large problem, so as an incentive, I will be GIVING OUT CASH to anyone who can solve my problem (at least $15 via PayPal if it gets fixed)

All right, so here's the long story short:

I bought my 16 gb iPod touch new, which came with the 1.1.2 firmware. I downgraded to 1.1.1 following directions from http://www.touchdev.net/wiki/Jailbreak_1.1.2

which basically says: restore to 1.1.1, use jailbreakme.com, then upgrade to 1.1.2, and run a special batch script which will allow the jailbreak to return after the 1.1.2 firmware update.

Everything worked fine at first for many hours, I downloaded many apps using installer.app, including the BSD Subset, which somehow exited installer.app during installation. I installed a few other small games and things afterwards. Then I realized I was running low on battery and tried to plug my iPod back into my computer.

Then it goes downhill from here.

My iPod touch will not charge, and iTunes (or Windows for that matter) does not detect the presence of my iPod touch at all. The wifi does not function anymore; I can scan for access points and networks, and connect, however on the main home screen, the wifi signal strength that is usually in the top left corner is not present, and all applications that use wifi freeze my iPod touch and bring it back to the home screen (including itunes and safari). Somehow my music and movies are all missing as well.

It gets better. Any attempt I make to go to the About page in settings freezes the iPod and returns it to the home screen. I have tried to clear settings and configurations, erase entire iPod (including media) hard reset, EVERYTHING, and nothing has worked.

I would return everything back to retail settings...but iTunes cannot recognize my iPod. Without wifi, the installer.app hangs when searching for sources and exits shortly.

Can anyone think of a solution for me?

My current thoughts are:
    If I could run installer.app without sources, just for the purpose of uninstalling, that could help me get back on the right track.

If I could get wifi working again, I could use installer.app

If I could get iTunes to recognize my iPod, I could restore.

But nothings working, and since I cannot charge my iPod, and it's less than 10% battery, I don't have much time to work with it.

I'd consider myself pretty knowledgeable about technology in general, so don't rule out any idea, no matter how difficult.

THANK YOU SO MUCH IN ADVANCE.

****EDIT****
    Just realized a couple other things; none of the settings I change on ANYTHING stay changed. For example, if i go to settings and turn my brightness on low and turn auto brightness off (to save what little battery I have left), the settings will immediately revert if the phone goes into locked mode.

Also, any changes to safari settings, wifi settings, etc, they all go back to the exact same setting.
    I just want my iPod to work...I don't even care anymore about 3rd party apps...
    Last edited by imbornonsept11; 2007-12-28 at 12:52 PM.

Thanks

Hold top and home button while its connected to get iTunes to pick up on it, if you didnt try already.

My iPhone is a Part of Me
    Thanks

You should trying restoring it again, do what the above poster said and put the device in restore mode by holding down the two buttons until it says to plug it into a computer.

If at that point it still won't work, something got really screwed up (most likely NOT software related).

For the time being, could you at least try and charge your iPod Touch in a normal electricity outlet?
    iPhone FW 2.2.1, Jailbroken and Unlocked!

Quote Originally Posted by defmute View Post
    You should trying restoring it again, do what the above poster said and put the device in restore mode by holding down the two buttons until it says to plug it into a computer.

If at that point it still won't work, something got really screwed up (most likely NOT software related).
    At what point would it say to plug it into a computer?
    I've tried this method, and at first the "Slide to power off" screen appears, then the screen goes blank, then the apple logo comes up (if i keep the buttons pressed down).

Tried to hold the buttons down while connected; didn't do much. I purchased a wall charger online when I got the phone; still waiting for it to arrive. Hopefully that will work.

Is there anyway to force a firmware flash directly to the iPod without using iTunes? maybe via Linux perhaps, if such a method existed...

THANKS FOR YOUR HELP GUYS, I figure it was a hardware malfunction that would have exposed itself, even if I hadn't jailbroken it.

I managed to get it exchanged for a new one; my friend works at Best Buy (where I got it from) and I owe him a HUGE favor, because he let me exchange it. Whew! Not going to mess around this time...
    Last edited by imbornonsept11; 2007-12-28 at 10:55 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Thanks
    well dont be scared to jailbreak it ive never really heard anything bad from doing it other then this i guess as long as you have a full batt and read first it always goes smooth

Default EASY way
    This should work: connect it to your computer. Hold the power and home buttons until the iPhone turns off.(Ignore the slide to turn off.) The apple logo should turn back on and then let go of the power button, but keep on holding the home button. iTunes should discover it in recover mode. This takes practice.

I appreciate the help guys, but I already returned that iPod. I've decided not to 1.1.2 jailbreak it, and have it 1.1.1 jailbroken at the moment. Please do not post to this thread anylonger; the issue has been resolved.

just to let you know, it sounded like your sprinboard was messed up. No settings applying, wifi non functional- Its like a semi bricked state. I say so becuase it can be revived and or fixed.

Glad to hear all turned out well.
    And it will be like a taco inside a taco within a Taco Bell that's inside a KFC that's within a mall that's inside your dream!

Default hmmmm
    dude uninstall itunes and reinstall it if that doesn't work your boned

you could have done a full overwrite
    replace all info on your ipod with anonther person's info
    info meaning all folders and files