Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: iPhone as an iPod touch

Default iPhone as an iPod touch
    I'm going to ireland for christmas break and i was wondering if i could somehow just use my iphone as an ipod touch. meaning just using wifi and ipod function. is there a way i can do this without getting any roaming charges?

use a non working sim card if you have one

no i don't have one. and if it helps i have a modded 1.1.2 iphone on att.

services app or bossprefs can turn off edge. Settings (built in) can turn off edge while roaming.

I haven't seen code that turns off the phone, yet leaves wifi on. So, just don't answer the phone.
    I assume you won't get charged for un-answered calls.

AT&T (and others) will gladly turn off the phone for a while , while you are traveling.
    http://jpassoc.com/x -- with free itunes under the puppy!
    If I help you out, please press THANKS!

3g QuickPWN'ed with 2.1

Just pulling the sim card out works on mine.

never done that. is it hard/ possible to mess up the device?

It's not that hard, you get a paper clip and push it in the hole on top of the phone until the sim tray pops up. However, I say go with calling AT&T and having them deactivate it temporarily, as the springing mechanism can break, the paper clip could slip and leave you with a nasty scratch, you could lose your grip and drop it, etc. Better safe than sorry I suppose, mine's already undergone some external modification, so I don't worry about that stuff so much anymore. lol

I'm going to ireland for christmas break and i was wondering if i could somehow just use my iphone as an ipod touch. meaning just using wifi and ipod function. is there a way i can do this without getting any roaming charges?
    Another option is to enable Airplane Mode and use bossprefs to enable wifi. Ignore the messages you get about disalbing airplane mode to accessing data. Wifi and internet work fine with it on when you enable the wifi
    -BigBoss
    Please do not send me messages here as I never check them. If you need to contact me, send me an email. My contact info is easy to find from inside Cydia.

and i will not get charged at all? r u sure?