Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Using the iPhone's Edge as a connection for an iPod Touch?

Default Using the iPhone's Edge as a connection for an iPod Touch?
    My brother has an iPhone.

I have an iPod Touch.

I bought the Touch over the iPhone for a few reasons:

I don't like the phone aspect of it.
    Less storage space.
    I like the current phone I have now.
    and as crazy as it sounds, I would rather carry two devices. (mainly because of battery life)

anyways, enough about that. I just have one regret.... there isn't Wi-Fi everywhere I go. (duh) but, alot of times I am with my brother...

So is there a way I can use his EDGE as a connection for my iPod Touch?

Both his iPhone and my iTouch are already jailbroken by me.

I've heard of a way to use the EDGE as a connection for a PC... not sure if it'd would possibly work with an iTouch? (I don't remember where I have seen it.)
    Last edited by lance713; 2007-12-01 at 07:12 AM.

I would like to know the same thing

Using EDGE/3G for a computer from a phone is called tethering, which is available for the iPhone only if you jailbreak (there are phones which offer tethering with warranty, but not the iPhone). As for tethering the iPhone for the iPod touch: there is no direct way to do such a thing. If you really stretched, you could tether the iPhone to a computer then set up a WiFi router and use that as WiFi for your device, but that is merely a hypothesis that (to my knowledge) hasn't been tested. I do believe there is a way to use internet from a computer on the iPod Touch (reverse-tethering), but I'm unfamiliar with it, so if you wish to look that up or if anyone else here knows of it and wishes to share, look it up.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Jeckel For This Useful Post:

dr-blog (2009-05-30)