Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Homemade Altoids Charger for iPod (why not iPhone?)

Default Homemade Altoids Charger for iPod (why not iPhone?)
    Hi! I just made an Altoids iPod charger. I used a female USB port and 4 AA batteries holder. It perfectly works with any device that plugs with USB exept iPhone and iPod Touch. It can charge my iPod Nano, my digital camera, it powers up my homemade fan but not my iPhone. Do someone here knows why? Thanks in advance

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    Yea I've had the same problem but i used a 9 volt battery with a 5 volt regulator soldered to a dock cable. I think it might be the amps. Not sure though

I have the same problem with rechargeable backup battery packs. Some are even listed as iPhone compatible but still do not work. I have tried two versions of this and they did not work. I am starting to think it is something with the firmware mods or jailbreaking or something like that. I don't believe that Lenmar would release a product that would not charge the phones. I's like to try it on a virgin, ATT activated phone to rule that out but I am T-Mobile.

Well a while ago I ordered wall chargers from eBay. It said they were working with ipod touch and iPhones but they were'nt (spelling?).

I have found that my wall chargers will in fact charge my iPod touch until my iPod says it is fully charged, but when I plug the iPod into the computer it will continue to say "charging."
    So the computer charges more and better???
    I am Olim. We are Olim. And we just did this- together!

Check my post's here in this thread: http://modmyi.com/forums/showthread.php?t=101731
    You will find your answer as to why some chargers won't charge the iphone.
    You need to add resistors to your cable or buy an adapter.
    Don't be shy if I helped you use the Thanks button, I do it.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to iBlade For This Useful Post:

Rivest (2008-05-01)

Wow thanks a lot. I will do this as soon as possible.

Quote Originally Posted by iBlade View Post
    Check my post's here in this thread: http://modmyi.com/forums/showthread.php?t=101731
    You will find your answer as to why some chargers won't charge the iphone.
    You need to add resistors to your cable or buy an adapter.
    I actually made a DIY iPhone charger using the schematic you provided in that thread of yours It works perfectly for me, I am using 4 NiMh 1.2V AA batteries. Thanks for providing that schematic

Quote Originally Posted by ajrulez View Post
    I actually made a DIY iPhone charger using the schematic you provided in that thread of yours It works perfectly for me, I am using 4 NiMh 1.2V AA batteries. Thanks for providing that schematic
    Glad to see people taking matters to their on hands and building stuff like this insteat of buying expensive chargers.

All thanks appreciated :-)

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to iBlade For This Useful Post:

ajrulez (2008-05-15), Anden702 (2009-01-03)

In the schematic does the intersection with the dot just mean to attach the resistors there?

Quote Originally Posted by sos11 View Post
    In the schematic does the intersection with the dot just mean to attach the resistors there?
    Hi sos11, sorry could not get back at ya. Yes dots mean the resistors get attached there where the positive from the batteries comes.
    As for your questions you pm'ed me, yes you can use any female usb cable just shorten as much as you like.
    Yes the red is + positive from the battery and black is - minus.
    Resistors go to the positive side
    Depending on the recharable batteries you use, with 2000mA for example up to 1.5 times.
    If you put a switch do it right where the positive wire comes from the batteries before the resistors get connected.
    Hope this help :-)

If it doesnt work with A touch why post it in a touch fourm?

What I posted works for the touch and the iphone. There are several people that have built it and it works for them.

What wattage resistors did you use?