Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: ssh and sftp...how?

Default ssh and sftp...how?
    ok i have hacked my ipod and i want to know how to ssh into my ipod touch and use ftp
    i used touchfree .3 gui
    i have filezilla ftp program
    please help me
    oh yah i have pc
    Last edited by ohnonotme; 2007-10-20 at 12:23 AM.

ssh you have to use over a wifi access point, so as long as your computer and iTouch are on the wifi point, you can use PuTTY (http://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~s.../download.html)
    to ssh into it using the IP address which you can find from the WiFi options page by tapping the blue arrow next to the AP you're connected to.

for FTP, it needs to be a secure ftp client, afaik, so i use WinSCP
    (winscp.net/eng/download.php)
    because it shows the file tree in icons, which i think is easier.

Then you can execute commands via PuTTY, and drag and drop files with WinSCP.

Hope this helps!

thank you

Thanks

I need help with something similar to thing, but I'm a complete noob when it comes to SSH and FTP, just not my thing. Any chance you could give me a hand?

I'm looking at taking certain files that I have on my computer and placing them in a folder on my iPod Touch that doesn't exist yet. Any thoughts on how I would go about doing this?

Proud to be an Apple user since 1990... at the age of 4.

J_Marley:

I'd probably suggest the same as i did earlier in the thread. For ssh, the only way that i know of doing it is using PuTTY, so thats what i use. Simply put the IP Address of the iPod into putty and it'll connect. From there, you can run commands on it. I don't use it much, so i don't have any list of commands you can use, but it is there to play with.

For FTP, you need to be using an SFTP client, such as WinSCP. You can do the same, it has a GUI to put the IP address into, and then it'll ask you for the username and password, which you enter and it'll give you an explorer-style window for standard copy-paste or drag and drop file editing.

I find the best way to learn is either to muck around with it a little (but don't break anything ), or read a tutorial that someone else has written. If you get really stuck though, PM me and i'll do my best to help out.

Have you got an iTouch yet, or is it a work in progress? :P

Thanks

I have an iPod Touch, but I guess where I'm a little lost is when it asks me for a username and password. Since these aren't things that I have set up on it, it's a little difficult to enter anything because it won't accept anything I've entered. Is there a default that I'm not aware of? Normally I have no problems learning things quickly, but when there is a unexplained hang up like a phantom account, I get lost quickly.

On a different note, I have the Installer.app installed and am looking to add Mail.app and some of the other ones, but the list on the Installer.app is third party software only. Could you point me in the direction of where I might find the others? Thanks a bunch. If it helps, my Windows Live (MSN) is [email protected]

the username and password combination as it stands is 'root' and 'alpine' respectively, but i would suggest changing the password once logged in, because thats the same for every jailbroken touch, so if someone finds yours, they can log in and be nasty...

There are some basic instructions for installing Mail.app and Maps.app on the iTouch at the touchdev site.
    (www.touchdev.net)
    I'd post a better link, but it appears that the touchdev site is down at the moment and i can't remember the URL off the top of my head.
    There are four files you need for Mail and Maps to work. The two apps themselves and two framework files. You'll have to hunt those down from torrents.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to jamier For This Useful Post:

J_Marley (2007-10-23)

Thanks

Gee... look what I found...
    http://www.se7ensins.com/forums/ipod...es-itouch.html

Thanks for all the help. I think I have a pretty good idea of what I'm going to do now. Hopefully I don't mess this up like I did my phone

haha... i have seen that before, i had Mario Brothers on mine for a while, but that game is hard work. I could deal with a super NES on there. Bit of Mariokart going on would keep me happy...

Your welcome! Good luck!

I'm a noob myself to breaking my Touch. I used Liberty+ & cydia. I've lost my mail, weather... apps and would like to get all that good stuff back. And also to get the themes to display. Ne1 have any clue how to get this done? So far Liberty was the only thing that worked for it?