Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Samba anyone?

Smile Samba anyone?
    Does anyone know how to mount a windows share on an iTouch.
    Is that even possible yet? Has it been done? I can't find anything around suggesting that its possible, but it would be a great use for the wifi.

Would it be possible then to use symlinks to expand your Music library (so to speak)..?

earns a bump in my book, is this possible?

Good thing I kept this link... http://signalblue.com/iphone/

This method worked great for me. I edited the file (I think it was the smb.conf file. You'll just have to look for it.) to show the directories that I wanted and I made this cool icon for BossPrefs Samba on/off switch. Good luck and have fun with this project. It took me a lot of time and searching and reading. Don't PM me for instructions please. This should be enough info for you to get it going. I think you may be able to install it automatically from the installer as I have seen it there but I did it this way and I prefer manual install for this type of thing. If someone else did it via Installer speak up.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by 4nic8tor; 2008-02-18 at 08:09 PM.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to 4nic8tor For This Useful Post:

DavC (2009-01-29)

Also, about that tutorial...it seems like the password for root on mine wasn't iphone like it suggests. I think it was alpine. It is probably whatever your SSH pass is. There were parts of this tutorial where it was not super clear and you just have to experiment a little.

Oh, and these are the commands for manually setting up BossPrefs:

To start the service use /usr/local/samba/smb.sh start
    To stop service just use /usr/local/samba/smb.sh stop
    Last edited by 4nic8tor; 2008-02-18 at 08:06 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

500+ views and no replies?? Are any of you trying this? This is awesome once you have it all setup. I am surprised this topic has not been covered already. Give it a shot! It's really not that hard....

i know this topic is really old, but i found it because i also want something like this. 4nic8tor, the link you posted is a tutorial for running a samba SERVER on the iphone, when what we want is a samba CLIENT. that way, we can mount folders shared on a desktop machine on the iphone. personally i prefer NFS, but when i search for that all i get is "NEED FOR SPEED" posts

Quote Originally Posted by sagarp View Post
    i know this topic is really old, but i found it because i also want something like this. 4nic8tor, the link you posted is a tutorial for running a samba SERVER on the iphone, when what we want is a samba CLIENT. that way, we can mount folders shared on a desktop machine on the iphone. personally i prefer NFS, but when i search for that all i get is "NEED FOR SPEED" posts
    glad you pointed out the client/server thing!

have you worked anything out? I was looking for a way to mount a share on my iphone last night, but after doing lots of searching i didnt really get very far

thanks that helps alot

My iPod is a Part of Me bteamer's Avatar
    Thanks

I dont have any idea what you guys are talking about. ^_^
    Quote Originally Posted by bhz1 View Post
    LOL! DOesnt everyone know that only real women know how to handle a stick?
    Quote Originally Posted by ALL DAY View Post
    As long as Miguel can blow...he's straight.
    Quote Originally Posted by bhz1 View Post
    I dread that first dusting of the white stuff.
    Quote Originally Posted by blkcadi View Post
    ready for a romp buddy? ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

@DavC

i have not found anything, sadly. i tried samba client, NFS client, even fuse so i can mount sftp. i don't know why there isn't anything. i would have expected someone with sufficient talent (like saurik) would have a samba or NFS client running first thing. anyone else have any info about this?

12. The Following User Says Thank You to sagarp For This Useful Post:

DavC (2009-01-30)

Quote Originally Posted by sagarp View Post
    @DavC

i have not found anything, sadly. i tried samba client, NFS client, even fuse so i can mount sftp. i don't know why there isn't anything. i would have expected someone with sufficient talent (like saurik) would have a samba or NFS client running first thing. anyone else have any info about this?
    thanks for the reply. Yeah i was quite amazed that no one has actually done all this before, plenty much more complicated things have been successfully created for the iphone, but nothing as relatively basic (and obvious) as this. Sounds like you know a bit more than me about it all (still learning fast as far as netwroking goes!).

Ah well... cheers anyway