Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Practical way to sync Google Calendar and Google Contacts?

Default Practical way to sync Google Calendar and Google Contacts?
    I'm running Windows and as far as I'm aware there is no way for me to use iCal, the only other thing I can use that will sync with the iPod Touch is Outlook, which I don't have.

As far as I'm aware, the only way for me to sync my Google Calendar to my iPod Touch is the following -

1. Get outlook
    2. Use the free Google->Outlook sync tool
    3. Sync my iPod Touch to Outlook through iTunes

As for Google Contacts, the only way I've found is -

1. Export as vCard from Google Contacts
    2. Import to "Address Book" (an old crappy Windows accessory [start>acessories>address book])
    3. Sync iPod Touch to Address Book through iTunes

Neither of these methods are very appealing and I was hoping some smart people have come up with some more flexible ways of doing things, can anyone point me in the right direction? So far I've been unable to find anything.

you can 2-way sync your ipod directly with google calendar using an app called syncJe, but you have to pay for it ($39 i think). and it can be a bit buggy.

contacts i dont know of a way to direct sync 2-way.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,182 Times in 915 Posts

I use plaxo from plaxo.com to keep things syncd all over. It save to plaxo and auto syncs with google, mac, windows, and various other places. It does contacts and calander, enjoy it highly.

but with Plaxo, dont you still have to sync google calendar to outlook and then to the ipod through itunes?

what i like is about syncje is the ability to do direct syncs between the ipod and google calendar anywhere i have wifi without the need for plugging in to my home pc.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,182 Times in 915 Posts

but plaxo can do the contacts thats the way i know of right now. I have 4 different machines and this is easiest for me to keep updated on all machines and gives me many copies incase something happens. Exchange is going to be nice then I won't have to worry about connecting to my mac.