Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: How to dissaemble/repair wet ipt3?

Default How to dissaemble/repair wet ipt3?
    I accidently got my ipt3 soaked with water today, d**. Inside the screen is misty, and it won't boot (no apple logo)! Though, oddly enough, it can charge because I can feel the heat from charging. Even when I run blackra1n, Windows doesn't recognize it, "One of the USB devices attached to this computer has malfunctioned, and Windows does not recognize it..."

I tried the search button, but couldn't find that many relavant topics on dissaembling and repairing a wet idevice. Could someone give me a guide on disassembling an ipt3 and on how to dry it? I heard disassembling it and putting in rice could dry it.

Otherwize, I will have to replace it and be at ios4.0.2 (which has no JB currently ). If I replace it, should I wait until ipt4, with the camera, and what parts should I keep after dissasembling it (ie the battery)? Thank god I just recently backed-up my music (outside of iTunes), bookmarks, and (partially) my rock apps.

Thanks in advance!
    -------------------------

After dismantling...

Okay, I found on Youtube two videos that tell how to dismantle it, and also how to disconnet the battery. After dismantling it, I saw that it was quite damaged with water . Its sitting out now to dry, but I don't think this will save it from death. Looks like I'll have to buy a new one (prefereably an ipt4 once it is released). I'll be salvaging whatever parts I can. Boohoo...

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RxKvMLIt4zk]YouTube - Disassembling iPod touch 3g[/ame]

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2lRuaoiaBhg]YouTube - iPod Touch Gen 3 Battery Replacement Directions by DirectFix.com[/ame]
    Last edited by Tamkis; 2010-08-19 at 10:34 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

I have done many iPods, and it is not that easy to take the front screen off, very good chance of messing up the rubber around the screen, so just order the hole screen assembly.

Retired Moderator
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,202 Times in 1,924 Posts

Dont do that. Put it in a bag of rice over night/for a couple days depending on how much water got in. It should dry up quick since rice absorbs moisture.

If you can get silica gel its even better than rice. More pricey tho.