Results 1 to 20 of 20

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.


Thread: iOS 11 and iOS 10.3.2 jailbreaks demoed at MOSEC

  1. #1
    Default iOS 11 and iOS 10.3.2 jailbreaks demoed at MOSEC
    -screen-shot-2017-06-23-8.05.37-am.png

    Demoed by KEENLAB at MOSEC

    It's that time again, jailbreak demo time. The security team KEENLAB demoed jailbreaks for iOS 10 and iOS 11 beta. It's unclear at this point whether or not these are the same exploit or if they've achieved two separate userland jailbreaks.

    The news was dropped by SparkZheng, who works for Alibaba and a few other security teams. He was also the one who dropped the news about Pangu's jailbreak at the Janus Conference.

    Will they release?

    This is the burning question on everyone's mind. Will they release a public jailbreak?

    Our thoughts here are on the safe side. Which means they most likely will not be releasing this to the public. It is good news, however, even though it's bittersweet for users. KEENLAB is most likely announcing this as a way for them to step into different territory than there past security research areas. They were also the first security team to achieve remote access to Tesla's Model S in September of last year.

    Even though we likely won't see a release from this news, it's exciting nonetheless. Contrary to popular belief, jailbreaking is not dead, there still does seem to be a lot of people who are labouring under that delusion. News like this proves that it's still very much alive.

  2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Josh Pasholk For This Useful Post:

    patdu63 (2017-06-26), thomasis (2017-06-27)

  3. #2
    Code Dependent NewD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Northeast US
    Posts
    5,703
    Thanks
    8,328
    Thanked 16,453 Times in 7,691 Posts

    Default iOS 11 and iOS 10.3.2 jailbreaks demoed at MOSEC
    Quote Originally Posted by Josh Pasholk View Post
    -screen-shot-2017-06-23-8.05.37-am.png

    Demoed by KEENLAB at MOSEC

    It's that time again, jailbreak demo time. The security team KEENLAB demoed jailbreaks for iOS 10 and iOS 11 beta. It's unclear at this point whether or not these are the same exploit or if they've achieved two separate userland jailbreaks.

    The news was dropped by SparkZheng, who works for Alibaba and a few other security teams. He was also the one who dropped the news about Pangu's jailbreak at the Janus Conference.

    Will they release?

    This is the burning question on everyone's mind. Will they release a public jailbreak?

    Our thoughts here are on the safe side. Which means they most likely will not be releasing this to the public. It is good news, however, even though it's bittersweet for users. KEENLAB is most likely announcing this as a way for them to step into different territory than there past security research areas. They were also the first security team to achieve remote access to Tesla's Model S in September of last year.

    Even though we likely won't see a release from this news, it's exciting nonetheless. Contrary to popular belief, jailbreaking is not dead, there still does seem to be a lot of people who are labouring under that delusion. News like this proves that it's still very much alive.
    Well - I'm not sure I agree with your conclusion. When people are saying "jailbreaking is dead" - what they really mean is that "public jailbreaks are dying". And that's quite true. Your article there even sorta proves the point.

    There are thousands of new lines of code added each new firmware and even each new firmware update within a new numbered firmware. So, of course, jailbreaking will ALWAYS be possible as exploits will always be plentiful. The issue, for users, is whether or not a hacker or team of hackers will release anything publicly. And Apple's Bounty program was the beginning of the end of public jailbreaking; where Apple offers from $50K - $200K to hackers for the exploits to be sent to Apple rather than developed into a public JB. Though it's unclear from the chatter whether Apple requires the Bounty receiver to sign an agreement to never develop into a public JB, it has been an effective deterrent to public releases. If I were a 17 year old hacker - I'd sure take the $50k. .. wouldn't you?!

  4. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to NewD For This Useful Post:

    patdu63 (2017-06-26), sand_man (2017-07-03), santos tinajero (2017-06-25), thomasis (2017-06-27)

  5. #3
    You know what, NewD. I appreciate your post man, because right offhand, I truly don't remember anyone actually saying what you just did....the exploits will always be plentiful. It's something I have thought for years and when I think back, what comes to mind is biteSMS....where it was rumored that the main developer of the tweak.....long before the Bounty program they have in place now....paid that guy to just kinda go away. Do I know that for a fact? No I don't, but I do remember it rumored. In what you're saying right now, it makes perfect sense and why we don't see demo-ed breaks make it to public releases. Makes sense. Definitely appreciate the post....and the wait continues.

  6. The Following User Says Thank You to thomasis For This Useful Post:

    NewD (2017-06-27)

  7. #4
    Code Dependent NewD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Northeast US
    Posts
    5,703
    Thanks
    8,328
    Thanked 16,453 Times in 7,691 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by thomasis View Post
    You know what, NewD. I appreciate your post man, because right offhand, I truly don't remember anyone actually saying what you just did....the exploits will always be plentiful. It's something I have thought for years and when I think back, what comes to mind is biteSMS....where it was rumored that the main developer of the tweak.....long before the Bounty program they have in place now....paid that guy to just kinda go away. Do I know that for a fact? No I don't, but I do remember it rumored. In what you're saying right now, it makes perfect sense and why we don't see demo-ed breaks make it to public releases. Makes sense. Definitely appreciate the post....and the wait continues.
    Yes, the Apple Bounty Program has been the most effective "slowdown" to public jailbreaking ever. Ironically, even at a most liberal estimation, where jailbreaking accounts for only 5% of all iPhone users (we're not even a blip on Apple's screen), this Bounty program really isn't about preventing our jailbreaking - but all about keeping our data secure. Contrary to popular belief - Apple really isn't trying to stop the teenie 5% of us from jailbreaking... they just want the most secure platform. The same exploits that allow us to JB -allow hackers to steal our personal data. Closing the exploit holes, makes our data secure - but also doesn't allow us to JB. Catch 22.
    Last edited by NewD; 2017-06-27 at 04:33 PM.

  8. The Following User Says Thank You to NewD For This Useful Post:

    Dgow452 (2017-07-03)

  9. #5
    Apple should let us decide ourselves on how secure we want our iPhones...
    Or make it so that we can theme our phones within the AppStore to purchase just like android, then at least us who jailbreak have a choice

  10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to littlelisa63 For This Useful Post:

    MrDLewis321 (2017-06-27), Purple Minion (2017-06-29)

  11. #6
    Code Dependent NewD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Northeast US
    Posts
    5,703
    Thanks
    8,328
    Thanked 16,453 Times in 7,691 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by littlelisa63 View Post
    Apple should let us decide ourselves on how secure we want our iPhones...
    Or make it so that we can theme our phones within the AppStore to purchase just like android, then at least us who jailbreak have a choice
    Not when they've prided themselves on being the most secure platform out there and that's driven their sales higher than the competition. Apple's always been about 'quality' - on every level.. AND about 'every user' have the 'same awesome experience'. That's where we who like to JB get screwed. We don't WANT the same experience.. at least not in terms of the look of our phone.

    But a 'store' for themes and widgets like Android has IS an idea Apple will HAVE to consider eventually - like they HAD to give us larger phones 2 years ago. They were getting killed by Android not having larger phones. I believe the 'customization' aspect will be the next thing they HAVE to let happen. But Apple is VERY stubborn. Just like their founder.

  12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to NewD For This Useful Post:

    Bo Troxell (2017-06-27), thomasis (2017-06-27)

  13. #7
    JB needs to become a paid solution, period. The days of a free public JB are definitely under threat and the longer we go without a JB the less interest devs are likely to show in maintaining and/or producing new material. Sad state of affairs for those of us who find vanilla iOS tedious.

  14. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to sand_man For This Useful Post:

    littlelisa63 (2017-07-03), NewD (2017-07-02), thomasis (2017-07-02)

  15. #8
    And if it does become a paid solution, whomever comes up with a solid, STABLE one, they would be PAID!! There are PLENTY of us who WOULD GLADLY pay for one. I can't speak for everybody, but paying for a stable JB would not be an issue for me at all.

  16. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to thomasis For This Useful Post:

    Bo Troxell (2017-07-03), Jesus™ (2017-07-14), NewD (2017-07-03), sand_man (2017-07-02)

  17. #9

  18. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sand_man For This Useful Post:

    Jesus™ (2017-07-14), thomasis (2017-07-02)

  19. #10
    Code Dependent NewD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Northeast US
    Posts
    5,703
    Thanks
    8,328
    Thanked 16,453 Times in 7,691 Posts

    But the JB community could never produce anywhere near the $50K-$200K Apple offers for the exploits. That's why it will never happen. Not to mention the mindset that the whole hacker community is about getting something for free… Asking money for a jailbreak just would never take off. Too many kids with no money are the people who jailbreak.

  20. #11
    Quote Originally Posted by NewD View Post
    But the JB community could never produce anywhere near the $50K-$200K Apple offers for the exploits. That's why it will never happen. Not to mention the mindset that the whole hacker community is about getting something for free… Asking money for a jailbreak just would never take off. Too many kids with no money are the people who jailbreak.
    Perhaps.

    However, if a JB became consistently available, stable, reliable, professionally packaged surely one would see the JB 'brand' grow?

    And what would the asking price be for a JB? Anywhere from $5-$20? per device?

    I reckon there's serious money to be made by releasing a commercial version of the hack.

  21. The Following User Says Thank You to sand_man For This Useful Post:

    thomasis (2017-07-03)

  22. #12
    Code Dependent NewD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Northeast US
    Posts
    5,703
    Thanks
    8,328
    Thanked 16,453 Times in 7,691 Posts

    Default iOS 11 and iOS 10.3.2 jailbreaks demoed at MOSEC
    Quote Originally Posted by sand_man View Post
    Perhaps.

    However, if a JB became consistently available, stable, reliable, professionally packaged surely one would see the JB 'brand' grow?

    And what would the asking price be for a JB? Anywhere from $5-$20? per device?

    I reckon there's serious money to be made by releasing a commercial version of the hack.
    Nah.. No precedent ever set in JB community for something costing $20.. not ever $5, really. If it were worth the time and promotion - it would have already been tried in the last 10 years. Don't hold your breath. And the moment there'd be a paid version - it would get pirated. The jailbreak hackers know this.. that's why it won't be tried. Get Apple's $. Way easier.

    You can never underestimate the laziness and impatience of the young.

  23. #13
    I am not exactly a math expert, but if one asks 1$ for a jailbreak..... multiplied with 1.000.000 JB enthusiasts...hmmmmmmmm, that would be a very interesting calculation......wouldn't you say

  24. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bbrks For This Useful Post:

    Jesus™ (2017-07-14), thomasis (2017-07-03)

  25. #14
    Code Dependent NewD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Northeast US
    Posts
    5,703
    Thanks
    8,328
    Thanked 16,453 Times in 7,691 Posts

    Default iOS 11 and iOS 10.3.2 jailbreaks demoed at MOSEC
    Quote Originally Posted by bbrks View Post
    I am not exactly a math expert, but if one asks 1$ for a jailbreak..... multiplied with 1.000.000 JB enthusiasts...hmmmmmmmm, that would be a very interesting calculation......wouldn't you say
    Do you actually believe there are 1 million people jailbreaking? And of that million people, how many do you believe would actually pay that one dollar?

  26. #15
    Exactly. Take Pangu's JB for example. There are millions of us that are still on that JB. If they come up with a stable one for iOS 10 and/or iOS 11, I absolutely agree with bbrks, that $1 times 200,000 now matches Apple and seeing as there is more than 200,000 of us (we're talking worldwide), that $1 would equate to far more than that $200k.

  27. #16
    Quote Originally Posted by NewD View Post
    Do you actually believe there are 1 million people jailbreaking?
    Worldwide? All of us combined?? I believe there are a million people jailbreaking.

  28. #17
    Code Dependent NewD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Northeast US
    Posts
    5,703
    Thanks
    8,328
    Thanked 16,453 Times in 7,691 Posts

    It would be pirated the first day it was released… The person might get 10,000 in sales if that.

  29. #18
    Cmon NewD, where is your faith in mankind
    Last edited by bbrks; 2017-07-03 at 06:30 PM.

  30. #19

  31. #20
    Quote Originally Posted by bbrks View Post
    ..... where is your faith in mankind
    That hit rock bottom on 8. November 2016!
    Nothing is impossible only miracles take a bit longer!

Posting Permissions
  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •