Page 32 of 32 FirstFirst ... 22303132

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Jailbreak for 10.2 released

Haha! Yeah I've heard it can be difficult to get the timing right. Full disclosure I've only done it once & I guess I got lucky because it worked as intended first try. Apparently I've had good luck with 9.3.3 because everything seems to work well for me damn near 100% of the time, but I've heard of other people having a lot of issues with different things (like even just reenabling the jailbreak). Could be my particular device & setup or maybe just dumb luck but whatever it is, I'll take it!

Jailbreaking is in its death throes
    privacy isn't about having something to hide, another view here

look here all grammar police, indulge me.

I agree!!!!!g
    GOD is good all the time

Quote Originally Posted by dsg View Post

5. The Following User Says Thank You to bbrks For This Useful Post:

Bo Troxell (2017-05-19)

Thanks
    Thanked 16,407 Times in 7,668 Posts

Default Jailbreak for 10.2 released
    "Public" jailbreaks are on their way out. 10's of thousands of lines of new code are added each new iOS version. Exploits will always be there - making JB possible forever. But Apple's Bounty program was "well played" on their part - giving $50K - $200K for hackers to give Apple the exploits rather than develop into public JB. The funny part is us JB'ers only account for under 2% of all iPhone users. Maybe less.. we're simply not even a blip on Tim's screen. They keep closing exploits to protect their amazing security reputation. The US government switched from BlackBerry (if you can imagine that) to iPhone a few years back from what I read.

Apple just wants perfect security. The same exploit that lets us JB our phones can be used to steal our personal data. Apple's goal is going after "security issues" - not to make our JB lives miserable.

So JB'ing will live on.. but not public ones.. ☹️..

Why don't they just charge for a jailbreak?
    I would think they could make what Apple would pay them, maybe I'm wrong...

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Sniper488 For This Useful Post:

metaserph (2017-05-19)

Last edited by metaserph; 2017-05-19 at 08:56 PM.
    @Metaserph
    "You can only attain Peace through spreading Love to create Unity and earn the Respect of others" - Complex Simplicity

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Sniper488 View Post
    Why don't they just charge for a jailbreak?
    I would think they could make what Apple would pay them, maybe I'm wrong...
    Because - as I said above - it's about security of the data on the device. They would open themselves up to too many lawsuits where some people who'd paid for open access and then got hacked would try to sue Apple. It just won't ever happen.

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to NewD For This Useful Post:

Bo Troxell (2017-05-19), metaserph (2017-05-19)

Quote Originally Posted by NewD View Post
    Because - as I said above - it's about security of the data on the device. They would open themselves up to too many lawsuits where some people who'd paid for open access and then got hacked would try to sue Apple. It just won't ever happen.
    What I was saying is why don't the people who make the jailbreak charge for the jailbreak, not Apple...

Thanks

Default Jailbreak for 10.2 released
    Quote Originally Posted by Sniper488 View Post
    What I was saying is why don't the people who make the jailbreak charge for the jailbreak, not Apple...
    Ah yes.. it's been suggested before… But not a very plausible solution as it would be pirated almost immediately. Way easier and more profitable to collect Apple's $50,000 bounty for giving the exploits to them.

Ah yes.. it's been suggested before… But not a very plausible solution as it would be pirated almost immediately. Way easier and more profitable to collect Apple's $50,000 bounty for giving the exploits to them.
    Aaaarrrggghhh, matey!!!

The funny part is us JB'ers only account for under 2% of all iPhone users. Maybe less.. we're simply not even a blip on Tim's screen. They keep closing exploits to protect their amazing security reputation. The US government switched from BlackBerry (if you can imagine that) to iPhone a few years back from what I read.

Apple just wants perfect security. The same exploit that lets us JB our phones can be used to steal our personal data. Apple's goal is going after "security issues" - not to make our JB lives miserable.

So JB'ing will live on.. but not public ones.. ☹️..
    I have to agree with "public" jailbreaking fading into the sunset as well your reference to the 2% of all iPhone users being jailbreakers. I have been jailbreaking since my Palm Pilot days and no one in my family, co-workers or friends even considered jailbreaking. The same is true today. No one I know outside forums jailbreaks. My son even gave up jailbreaking since Apple somewhat adds similar jailbreak tweaks in the iOS updates. I am only jailbreaking for a handful of apps/tweaks like Acapella, EqualizerEverywhere, FoldersInFolders an Foldericons. If Apple implemented these, I probably wouldn't jailbreak anymore. Apparently, these apps/tweaks don't mean anything to the other 98% or so of iPhone users.

I think a lot of them don't realize what it really is and what you can do with it. Also, for some I'd imagine it being too much to deal with. What feels like common knowledge to us can likely be intimidating or confusing for people who don't know enough about the basics like tweak compatibility, troubleshooting, etc. It's definitely necessary to educate yourself on that stuff first and for a lot of people I'd think it seems like too much work. For me personally, that's pretty much why I don't introduce more people to jailbreaking.

Quote Originally Posted by Jon G View Post
    I think a lot of them don't realize what it really is and what you can do with it. Also, for some I'd imagine it being too much to deal with. What feels like common knowledge to us can likely be intimidating or confusing for people who don't know enough about the basics like tweak compatibility, troubleshooting, etc. It's definitely necessary to educate yourself on that stuff first and for a lot of people I'd think it seems like too much work. For me personally, that's pretty much why I don't introduce more people to jailbreaking.
    I think people are misinformed about jailbreaking and believe that illegal and will void their warranty. The DMCA in 2015 added the tablets and Smart TVs to the exemption list of approved devices that can legally be jailbroken. See this article: https://www.theverge.com/platform/am...ry-of-congress

Regarding warranties, simply restore the device to the latest iOS before bringing it in should resolve any issue. Furthermore, if you bring a jailbroken device into be repaired, it maybe restored to the latest iOS anyways as part of the repair.

I think the jailbreak community has pushed the Apple developers to include a lot of the tweaks they developed, mitigating the need to jailbreak so you have certain functionality not included in the stock iOS.

Finally, it's nice not to have to think about antivirus on an iOS device. Change your root and mobile passwords, disable SSH and a jailbroken device is just as secure as one that is not jailbroken.

Page 32 of 32 FirstFirst ... 22303132