Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: The Stainless Steel Apple Watch is Very Prone to Scratches, But You Can Fix it Yourself

Quote Originally Posted by ggab View Post
    No, it's not. Cotton is soft, stainless steel is not.
    Different type of softness. Don't be ignorant. The Apple Watch is made from 316L stainless steel which is not exactly known for being scratch proof. It's rust and corrosion proof. Same "soft steel" is used in kitchen appliances which are know to scratch very easily.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to rolandgabor For This Useful Post:

Anthony Bouchard (2015-04-26)

Quote Originally Posted by rolandgabor View Post
    Different type of softness. Don't be ignorant. The Apple Watch is made from 316L stainless steel — which is not exactly known for being scratch proof. It's rust and corrosion proof. Same "soft steel" is used in kitchen appliances which are know to scratch very easily.
    Thanks rolandgabor.

It is true there are different grades of metal with different attributes. This is why Apple always comes out with some "new alloy" of sorts when they release different products. They want to improve on the attributes. A good place to source this information directly from Apple is from the recent Jonathan Ive interview we posted about.

Stainless Steel is metal, which is hard. Yes, this is a no brainer; and to compare it to cotton is nothing less than trolling. But stainless steel is a soft metal. There are metals that are more resistant to bending, breaking, scratching, rusting, and many other attributes. For example, brass is a very brittle metal, but it should not be compared to glass. It's brittle because it's harder to bend, it tends to snap instead. On the other hand, it has excellent electricity conductivity qualities, which makes it popular in automotive electricity applications, such as in distributor rotors.

Quote Originally Posted by Sniper488 View Post
    Wonder how mad the people who bought the black stainless steel watches for $1100 will be..
    I not going to me mad. they do have cases u can buy if u fear the scratches

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to vcf For This Useful Post:

Sage I (2015-04-27), Sniper488 (2015-04-26)

Livin the iPhone Life Carvensno's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,820 Times in 798 Posts

I have no idea what people are doing to scratch up the side of the watches? Only thing I can think is bumping up against counter tops. In that case be more careful! Though these could be the same people that stick their phones in their back pockets and sit in their phones and wonder why their screens cracked or their phone is bent. Lol smh

Sorry but I'm more careful with my Apple items when I'm spending $500.00-3500.00 of my hard earn money buying their products. But that's me! Lol

Quote Originally Posted by Carvensno View Post
    I have no idea what people are doing to scratch up the side of the watches? Only thing I can think is bumping up against counter tops. In that case be more careful! Though these could be the same people that stick their phones in their back pockets and sit in their phones and wonder why their screens cracked or their phone is bent. Lol smh

Sorry but I'm more careful with my Apple items when I'm spending $500.00-3500.00 of my hard earn money buying their products. But that's me! Lol
    I try to be very careful with my iPhone and such, but I feel with something you're actually wearing, it's more likely that accidents will happen.

The counter tops scenario you mention is highly likely, as is grabbing things on shelves, washing dishes, cooking, and many other things.

My iPhone is a Part of Me bmwraw8482's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ggab View Post
    No, it's not. Cotton is soft, stainless steel is not.
    They should offer a cotton version apple watch

Quote Originally Posted by bmwraw8482 View Post
    They should offer a cotton version apple watch
    Lmao. Mushwatch

Green Apple
    Thanks

Well maybe these people have never owned a stainless steel watch before. I bought a breitling a few years ago that was stainless steel along with the band. I had a few scratches on it the first few hours of it on my wrist even though I was extremely careful with it. When I took it in for service they polished it for me, making it look new again.

I can see how people are going to try and bash apple bout this, but this happens with most watches be it stainless, gold, platinum and a few other metals. From a 50$ Casio to a 500,000$ Patek Phillipe, they will scratch!
    Last edited by noop; 2015-04-27 at 02:22 AM.

Green Apple
    Thanks

Also wiping smudges or fingerprints with your shirt or a napkin or a towel is a big no no. Your asking for micro scratches and swirl marks.

iWatch milled from a Titanium block..
    I still wouldn't pay 1k for electronic smart watch.

That's actually the best alloy you can make..
    Sounds like a strategy to save money on the sapphire display and equal out the production cost on the different type of watches.-

Don't worry somebody will make a case to protect it.

Thanks

In the end it could have been made to be more durable. Hopefully the next generation of Apple Watches learns from these 'mistakes' If they are in fact even mistakes. Nothing is supposed to stay shiny and new forever.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to bigboyz For This Useful Post:

novadam (2015-04-27)

Thanks
    Thanked 17,645 Times in 8,025 Posts

Wouldn't using a micro abrasive cause micro scratches on the stainless steel? I mean sure it would get rid of bigger scratches but you will end up with those small swirly scratches right?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12