Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Apple's Jony Ive Doesn't Feel the Apple Watch Competes With Luxury Mechanical Watches

Default Apple's Jony Ive Doesn't Feel the Apple Watch Competes With Luxury Mechanical Watches

Although the Apple Watch is very much a watch, Apple's Jonathan Ive doesn't think that the Apple Watch is offering direct competition for luxury mechanical watch makers.

Ive, in an interview, expresses his love and enjoyment for luxury mechanical watches and feels that the Apple Watch has a much broader focus that will set it apart from the luxury mechanical watch market. In simpler terms, the Apple Watch offers an infinite realm of possibilities because it's a technological computer strapped to your wrist, while mechanical watches are still going to feel more like beautiful delicate time pieces.

Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan Ive
    It wasn't because we thought we could design a better watch, or that we wanted to compete with the existing watch makers, it was because we saw that the wrist was a fabulous place for technology. So the motivation was very different from the one that we had when we worked on the iPhone.
    Ive also notes in the interview that unlike the iPhone, which was created because phones, at the time, were incapable of doing amazing things and were just overall unexciting to use, the Apple Watch wasn't created with the motivation of "making something better," but instead, simply expanding the possibilities of what can be done from your wrist.

Ive also justifies the company's use of Apple Watch materials, including the Apple Watch Edition's gold enclosure.

The interview video can be watched via the YouTube video link below:

Sources: British Vogue via Mashable
    Last edited by Anthony Bouchard; 2015-04-26 at 08:29 AM.

I think he was dodging the questions pretty well. I think they know they are competition. Why else would they be involved with all those fashion magazines and having models wear their products?

If I spend money and buy a nice Tag Heuer right now that same watch will do the same things in 40 years when i'm dead. The same Apple watch will stop working in 3 years and will be obsolete in one. It is hard for me to spend money on a device that is essentially a secondary device, one that requires I own an Apple phone.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to turdsmoka For This Useful Post:

cpho (2015-04-26), oldskoolsk8r (2015-04-27)

Quote Originally Posted by turdsmoka View Post
    If I spend money and buy a nice Tag Heuer right now that same watch will do the same things in 40 years when i'm dead. The same Apple watch will stop working in 3 years and will be obsolete in one. It is hard for me to spend money on a device that is essentially a secondary device, one that requires I own an Apple phone.
    You are buying "technology" that comes in the shape of a wristwatch that you "carry" on your wrist is different from buying a wristwatch with the single purpose of telling time. Technology can ages, time doesn't.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 8lias For This Useful Post:

Anthony Bouchard (2015-04-26), vinaygoel2000 (2015-04-26)

Quote Originally Posted by holyshnikes View Post
    I think he was dodging the questions pretty well. I think they know they are competition. Why else would they be involved with all those fashion magazines and having models wear their products?
    Ads in magazine simply shows that you can wear an Apple Watch as jewelry that compliments your fashion taste and lifestyle. It isn't to say throw away your Rolex because the Apple watch is better.

I agree 100%

Livin the iPhone Life vinaygoel2000's Avatar
    Thanks

I 100% agree with 8lias. We are not buying a watch, despite the name. Telling time is just one of the 1000 things it does. It's a gadget we are buying and yes it will be obsolete in 2-3 years, just like any other electronic gadget. Comparing an Apple Watch with a traditional watch isn't justified when all a traditional watch does is tell time.

I agree with the notion that traditional watches stand the test of time and continue to work as expected after years and years of use. They wear nicely and gain a nice patina after time, like old muscle cars.

Anything computer related, like the Apple Watch, is something that will just become obsolete in no time as new versions are released, and it will get slower with each software update as iPhones do, which takes away from its delicate footprint in a user's life as they upgrade to a newer model.

Quote Originally Posted by vinaygoel2000 View Post
    I 100% agree with 8lias. We are not buying a watch, despite the name. Telling time is just one of the 1000 things it does. It's a gadget we are buying and yes it will be obsolete in 2-3 years, just like any other electronic gadget. Comparing an Apple Watch with a traditional watch isn't justified when all a traditional watch does is tell time.
    With all fairness that is a definition of a watch. It tells time. But there are a lot of traditional wrist watches that do more than just tell time. Just because a wrist attached device shows time it does not make it a watch. Your phone tells time too, your alarm clock , sometimes your oven and microwave as well. Strapping them on your wrist will not make them a watch. Just like sticking feathers up your butt does not make you a chicken. I'm sorry but this whole "Apple watch" just does not sit well with me for some reason. Not meant to be an ***.

Thanks

Default Apple's Jony Ive Doesn't Feel the Apple Watch Competes With Luxury Mechanical...
    Quote Originally Posted by rolandgabor View Post
    With all fairness that is a definition of a watch. It tells time. But there are a lot of traditional wrist watches that do more than just tell time. Just because a wrist attached device shows time it does not make it a watch. Your phone tells time too, your alarm clock , sometimes your oven and microwave as well. Strapping them on your wrist will not make them a watch. Just like sticking feathers up your butt does not make you a chicken. I'm sorry but this whole "Apple watch" just does not sit well with me for some reason. Not meant to be an ***.
    Trust me, I am happy with my Michael Kors $250 black watch with black metal band. Did not order Apple Watch and don't plan on doing so anytime soon.

Last edited by vinaygoel2000; 2015-04-27 at 04:49 AM.

Default Apple's Jony Ive Doesn't Feel the Apple Watch Competes With Luxury Mechanical...
    Quote Originally Posted by vinaygoel2000 View Post
    Trust me, I am happy with my Michael Kors $250 black watch with black metal band. Did not order Apple Watch and don't plan on doing so anytime soon.

I don't blame you at all.

Is anyone concerned at all about the potential harmful affects of the device? Bluetooth, wifi, lithium battery so close to the body and the blood stream? I don't hear anyone commenting at all.
    Last edited by rolandgabor; 2015-04-27 at 04:44 AM.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by rolandgabor View Post
    I don't blame you at all.
    Can't post picture for sh1t. I give up.

Well I sure they will rls a new vr of the watch but being dead in 3 years won't happen. It still will work. I still have all my iPhone's from the first model to the 6+. And they all work. They stop getting updates about 4 years. But still work.

The Tag Heuer are good watches but you buying the name. And your paying 3-10 more for it over the iwatch

I don't think we should assume the Apple Watch will follow a yearly refresh cycle.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to ThuD Muffin For This Useful Post:

ChicagoV (2015-04-27)

iPhone? More like MyPhone jackbauerctu's Avatar
    Thanks

Remember the original EDGE only iPhone vs the iPhone 3G? Pretty amazing improvements. I'm willing to bet the second generation Apple Watch will have a longer battery life and perhaps even be waterproof or at least more water resistant than it is currently. I'm also willing to bet that the second Apple Watch OS will have a lot of new features that will not require the user to pair it with an iPhone. A lot of people are upset that they have to own an iPhone with the latest version of iOS in order to access all of its features.

Thanks
    Thanked 16,485 Times in 7,705 Posts

Is it a watch? Isn't it a watch? All good existential questions.. I can see points from what all of you have said..

There's a bigger concern for me.. Millions of us don't "wear" watches anymore.. some never have. Watches that tell time have become more of an 'afficionado' thing for many like smoking good cigars or fixing up old muscle cars. But the notion of your company giving you a 'gold watch' after 25 years of service is from a time gone by. Long ago...

BUT -- because of the techy edge of the Apple Watch and that fact that it's just plain APPLE in NAME, will get Apple 10's of millions of sales on this 'odd' little piece of technology. And that will make Cook and the team think they 'met a need' - rather than spend their focus on greater innovation. It's still utterly mind-blowing to me that Apple hasn't yet offered a Tablet/Laptop combo yet. Steve Jobs would never have let anyone get to the market with that 'innovative' product before Apple did and they STILL don't have one.. Maybe it's an 'actual decision' that they don't want to combine their iPad line with their Laptop line..

But my main point is that this little move with the AppleWatch (please stop calling it iWatch.. lol) has focussed them AWAY from innovation and on 'catch up' with something that - if the name were Samsung - would have been a 'ho-hum' event..

My $0.02...

Thanks
    Thanked 12,544 Times in 7,599 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by NewD View Post
    BUT -- because of the techy edge of the Apple Watch and that fact that it's just plain APPLE in NAME, will get Apple 10's of millions of sales on this 'odd' little piece of technology.
    It's the reason I bought one, I also don't wear a watch, but who knows, this may be a game changer for me. It also has the Apple logo on it, how could I not but it? Yes, I'm one of those people...

21. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bo Troxell For This Useful Post:

NewD (2015-04-27), SpiderManAPV (2015-04-27)