Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Apple Watch Sport Undergoes Extreme Torture Tests in Kitchen Conditions

Default Apple Watch Sport Undergoes Extreme Torture Tests in Kitchen Conditions

If you're wondering about the durability of the Apple Watch Sport edition, which comes with the aluminum enclosure and Ion-X glass display, then look no further than a new video published by CNET that pits the Apple Watch Sport against many kitchen conditions that, depending on the way you cook, might be likely scenarios.

Will the Apple Watch Sport survive water submersion? Will it receive scuffs from scratch testing? Will it stain from kitchen foods, drinks, and condiments? How about being dropped in a pan of boiling water? Being dropped on the floor? Or being smashed by a cast iron skillet?

You'll have to watch the video to find out:

Keeping in mind that this is the low-end Apple Watch and that the non-Sport edition watch is made from stainless steel and sapphire glass, are you impressed with how well it fared against the torture testing? Share in the comments!

Sources: CNET
    Last edited by Anthony Bouchard; 2015-04-25 at 08:19 AM.

My iPhone is a Part of Me bmwraw8482's Avatar
    Thanks

Default Apple Watch Sport Undergoes Extreme Torture Tests in Kitchen Conditions
    That boiling water couldn't be good for the battery. A little longer and I bet that watch would b fried. That video was hard to watch.lol

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bmwraw8482 For This Useful Post:

docmagoo2 (2015-04-25), Silverado1987 (2015-04-25)

Quote Originally Posted by bmwraw8482 View Post
    That boiling water couldn't be good for the battery. A little longer and I bet that watch would b fried. That video was hard to watch.lol
    It was hard to watch wasn't it?

5. The Following User Says Thank You to docmagoo2 For This Useful Post:

Silverado1987 (2015-04-25)

iPhone? More like MyPhone MoDaLoT's Avatar
    Thanks

Tough little watch but it was hard to look at...

I'm surprised the screen broke, the impact from the skillet didn't seem that violent. What a joke about the watch being in water for 10 minutes. Big deal a depth of one foot. Put it in the boiling water for 10 minutes instead of the two seconds you tried and see how that works.
    Last edited by exNavy; 2015-04-25 at 03:23 PM.

Green Apple
    Thanks

That is the nastiest looking peanut butter I've ever seen. Ewww!

9. The Following User Says Thank You to filabeaner For This Useful Post:

MoDaLoT (2015-04-25)

Quote Originally Posted by exNavy View Post
    I'm surprised the screen broke, the impact from the skillet didn't seem that violent. What a joke about the watch being in water for 10 minutes. Big deal a depth of one foot. Put it in the boiling water for 10 minutes instead of the two seconds you tried and see how that works.
    Let's all remind ourselves your watch won't fall into boiling water and we won't grind it on a cheese grinder etc

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Silverado1987 For This Useful Post:

talkin73 (2015-04-25)

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Honestly with how "sparse" the apple watch is I would buy the broken ones just to refurb and sell. Keep one for myself of course. Lol.

I'm sure any of these scenarios could happen to anyone.

I'm shocked how well the apple watch could hold up. I wish they would make the iPhone's water proof I'm a professional chef and that's pretty impressive that it could go in boiling hot 212 degree water.

I wanted to see the knife or cheese grater on the case, not the face. We already know about how sapphire and mineral glass hold up to daily abuse. It was so annoying hearing her go on about how there wasn't a scratch when she wasn't even trying to scratch the part that gets scratched first on a typical watch. My sapphire crystal in a stainless case from 2007 has dings and scratches all over the stainless case but none on the sapphire crystal.

Quote Originally Posted by CZroe View Post
    I wanted to see the knife or cheese grater on the case, not the face. We already know about how sapphire and mineral glass hold up to daily abuse. It was so annoying hearing her go on about how there wasn't a scratch when she wasn't even trying to scratch the part that gets scratched first on a typical watch. My sapphire crystal in a stainless case from 2007 has dings and scratches all over the stainless case but none on the sapphire crystal.
    From what it looks like, even the stainless steel case scratches pretty easily:

Livin the iPhone Life javiert30's Avatar
    Thanks

According to Apple...
    "Submerging Apple Watch is not recommended. Apple Watch has a water resistance rating of IPX7 under IEC standard 60529. The leather bands are not water resistant. Water resistance is not a permanent condition and Apple Watch cannot be rechecked or resealed for water resistance. The following may affect the water resistance of Apple Watch and should be avoided:

Dropping Apple Watch or subjecting it to other impacts.

Submerging Apple Watch in water for long periods of time.

Swimming or bathing with Apple Watch.

Exposing Apple Watch to pressurized water or high velocity water, for example, showering, water skiing, wake boarding, surfing, jet skiing, and so on.

Wearing Apple Watch in the sauna or steam room.

But the ratings means...

IPX6 Waterproof Standard
    Heavy splashing and rain - This test sends water at all angles through a 12.5mm nozzle at a rate of 100 liters/min at a pressure of 100kN/m2 for 3 minutes from a distance of 3 meters. Must not fail or show water seepage.

IPX-7 Waterproof Standard (Apple Watch)
    Puddle, stream, beer cooler and splash rated - Protected against water immersion - Immersion for 30 minutes at a depth of 1 meter.

So I assume and to my understanding if you do something with your Apple Watch included in the IPX-7 Standard rate and it stop working, we could sue or Apple should replace your Apple Watch as it suppose to resist what is included in this rating. But you would have to prove it in some way I guess.

So if you go to a water park with it, where you are going in and out of the water nothing suppose to happen according to the IPX-7 Standard Rate.
    Last edited by javiert30; 2015-04-26 at 08:06 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by javiert30 View Post
    So I assume and to my understanding if you do something with your Apple Watch included in the IPX-7 Standard rate and it stop working, we could sue or Apple should replace your Apple Watch as it suppose to resist what is included in this rating. But you would have to prove it in some way I guess.
    Which is why Apple is being so unrealistically specific and riding the fence on whether the device is waterproof or not.

They're saying it's rated for some water abuse, but not recommending you do anything with water contact, because they don't want to get sued.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony Bouchard View Post
    Which is why Apple is being so unrealistically specific and riding the fence on whether the device is waterproof or not.

They're saying it's rated for some water abuse, but not recommending you do anything with water contact, because they don't want to get sued.
    If they recommend all that, then its not supposed to be rated IPX7

If they recommend all that, then its not supposed to be rated IPX7
    I think it has definitely earned its rating. Check out the CNET video.

They just don't want to get sued, plain and simple, and probably don't want to offer replacements for people that purposely dip their devices in water and break them on purpose just because they decide they want a new one. I foresee them standing behind the "well, we recommended you don't do that, and you did it anyways" argument instead.

Thanks

Yes I saw the video already. Yes it earned the rate and I think it should be promoted like it is. Yes I know we all know how Apple is, the rate and what they say are a little bit confusing and we can see they are clearly trying to cover their a...s with it. But I think a good lawyer will win the case behind that confusion. Don't sell me a bullet proof car and tell me you don't recommend me to throw gravel at it because you can crack a window, just in case my product wont work. Now later when somebody shot at my car and brake the glass, you tell me. we are sorry we cant replace the glass because we determined you throw gravel to your car and even if its bullet proof, we told you not to do it. Come on.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by filabeaner View Post
    That is the nastiest looking peanut butter I've ever seen. Ewww!
    that's because its organic peanut butter, not the fake, processed Jif or Skippy peanut butter that we've been taught is "peanut butter". Try it, its delicious.

Quote Originally Posted by exNavy View Post
    because you have dunked your arm in boiling water for 10 minutes ... when, exactly?

According to Apple...
    "Submerging Apple Watch is not recommended. Apple Watch has a water resistance rating of IPX7 under IEC standard 60529. The leather bands are not water resistant. Water resistance is not a permanent condition and Apple Watch cannot be rechecked or resealed for water resistance. The following may affect the water resistance of Apple Watch and should be avoided:

Dropping Apple Watch or subjecting it to other impacts.

Submerging Apple Watch in water for long periods of time.

Swimming or bathing with Apple Watch.

Exposing Apple Watch to pressurized water or high velocity water, for example, showering, water skiing, wake boarding, surfing, jet skiing, and so on.

Wearing Apple Watch in the sauna or steam room.

But the ratings means...

IPX6 Waterproof Standard
    Heavy splashing and rain - This test sends water at all angles through a 12.5mm nozzle at a rate of 100 liters/min at a pressure of 100kN/m2 for 3 minutes from a distance of 3 meters. Must not fail or show water seepage.

IPX-7 Waterproof Standard (Apple Watch)
    Puddle, stream, beer cooler and splash rated - Protected against water immersion - Immersion for 30 minutes at a depth of 1 meter.

So if you go to a water park with it, where you are going in and out of the water nothing suppose to happen according to the IPX-7 Standard Rate.
    Because it's NOT A WATCH.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast