Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: New Apple Info Reveals What Kinds of Apple Watch Damage Are Eligible for Warranties/Service

Default New Apple Info Reveals What Kinds of Apple Watch Damage Are Eligible for Warranties

Some detailed information outlining what Apple will consider for warranty coverage for the new Apple Watch (all models) has made its way to the Internet. The information, first published by MacRumors Friday morning, outlines what services will be covered by the warranty in full, what services will be covered out of the warranty (where the customer pays for the repair), and what will absolutely not be serviceable by any means.

Among the things that are covered for free under the Apple warranty are dust particles that accumulate under the glass display, condensation that could accumulate under the heart-rate sensor glass or display, and a removed back cover when there is no evidence of prying or damage to the case of the Apple Watch.

Some of the things Apple will consider repairing on the user's dime outside of the warranty include:

• Broken or cracked crown cap
    • Missing crown cap
    • Extreme abrasion damage on the metal enclosure
    • Chips or cracks in the display glass or heart-rate sensor glass
    • Bent or split metal enclosures
    • Missing band-release button
    • Cracks in rear glass cover

Apple has also outlined some scenarios that Apple will be unable to service, in which the consumer will have to buy a new Apple Watch if they want a working unit again. Such things that fall under this category include a disassembled unit iwth missing parts, catastrophic damage beyond repair (such as being ran over by a car), and counterfeit or third-party parts that have absolutely nothing to do with Apple.

More information on the AppleCare Apple Watch warranty can be found in our original post last month. The price for AppleCare varies depending on the type of Apple Watch you get.

Sources: MacRumors

My iPhone is a Part of Me bmwraw8482's Avatar
    Thanks

I have read the tech specs that closely yet, but is it water resistant? How much if so?

Livin' the SPIDEY Life SpiderManAPV's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by bmwraw8482 View Post
    I have read the tech specs that closely yet, but is it water resistant? How much if so?
    If I remember right it is technically waterproof up to a meter for 30 seconds.

......beware......
    Just your friendly neighborhood Spider-Man!

So can we shower with it on?

Quote Originally Posted by auzeus72 View Post
    So can we shower with it on?
    I would say no. It's probably ok to wash your hands with it and wipe off your forearm if any water gets that far up and you'll be fine.

Thanks

From the Apple website: " Apple Watch is water resistant but not waterproof. You may, for example, wear and use Apple Watch during exercise (exposure to sweat is OK), in the rain, and while washing your hands." And also: "Try to minimize exposing Apple Watch to these substances" of which the following are included: Soap, detergent, acids or acidic foods, and any liquids other than fresh water, such as salt water, soapy water, pool water, perfume, insect repellent, lotions, sunscreen, oil, adhesive remover, hair dye, or solvents.

However, it also says: "Submerging Apple Watch is not recommended. Apple Watch has a water resistance rating of IPX7 under IEC standard 60529."

That guideline states: "Ingress of water in harmful quantity shall not be possible when the enclosure is immersed in water under defined conditions of pressure and time (up to 1 m of submersion)." And defines the test duration as 30 minutes.

......beware......

7. The Following User Says Thank You to SpiderManAPV For This Useful Post:

auzeus72 (2015-04-24)

So I can submerge it up to one meter for 30 min. But not take a shower with it on? I understand the soap part. I dunno I hate having to change my routine with watches. Bad enough I have to take it off every night. I guess maybe it's just me and my old habits

Thanks

So I can submerge it up to one meter for 30 min. But not take a shower with it on? I understand the soap part. I dunno I hate having to change my routine with watches. Bad enough I have to take it off every night. I guess maybe it's just me and my old habits
    I had an old watch that had 0 water resistance so I had to take it off to shower. I'm used to that. I'm more worried about remembering to charge it!

......beware......

10. The Following User Says Thank You to SpiderManAPV For This Useful Post:

auzeus72 (2015-04-24)

Thanks

Just noticed I missed something. It says it can't handle pressurized water such as from shower heads.

......beware......

Jeez this makes it sound like it's safer to bring your iPhone in the shower than the watch

13. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to auzeus72 For This Useful Post:

docmagoo2 (2015-04-24), Dphillipds (2015-04-25), sheltons.iphone (2015-04-25), SpiderManAPV (2015-04-24)

Thanks

Jeez this makes it sound like it's safer to bring your iPhone in the shower than the watch
    If you have a good case that very well may be true. It's possible a waterproof battery pack case could come eventually, but a mophie on my wrist sounds uncomfortable.

......beware......

It's ******** that a modern device as small as it is wouldn't be waterproof. Who doesn't want a HR monitor that they can use while swimming? I use a garmin because I do triathlon and I need a smart watch that can handle the water

16. The Following User Says Thank You to docmagoo2 For This Useful Post:

auzeus72 (2015-04-24)

I did see the case from Spigen that looks good as far as bump coverage but like you said a waterproof case sounds bulky. I.e. An otter box

30 SECONDS. Not minutes