Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Broadcasters in America are Pushing their Campaign to Enable FM Tuners in Smartphones

Quote Originally Posted by qumahlin View Post
    I find it funny Broadcasters in America are pushing for something to be enabled that other countries are already working on phasing out. Norway will have completely phased out FM radio in 2017. It's been replaced with digital and any radio you find on store shelves currently has support for both FM/Digital, yet in the US you see almost nothing.
    I assume by "digital" you're referring to HD Radio, which is digital radio that co-exists with the existing analogue signal and thus doesn't necessitate any sort of phasing out. If you have an HD receiver, you can make use of all the digital sub channels (usually the digital version of the main analogue feed plus any additional channels a given station is putting out.)

Meh. haven't listened to Radio since 2004, when I bought my first iPod and interface for my Kenwood stereo. Actually, even before that, I had car stereos that played MP3 CDs. Now with Pandora, iTunes Radio, Spotify, etc.. even more reason not to listen to crappy radio stations with never ending commercials. FM radio is slowly going the way of AM/Short Wave Radio, will still be around but very few people will use it.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to NSXrebel For This Useful Post:

vinaygoel2000 (2015-04-23)

Quote Originally Posted by qumahlin View Post
    I find it funny Broadcasters in America are pushing for something to be enabled that other countries are already working on phasing out. Norway will have completely phased out FM radio in 2017. It's been replaced with digital and any radio you find on store shelves currently has support for both FM/Digital, yet in the US you see almost nothing.
    It's serious money. The more people are listening to their station, the more ad revenue they will receive. With people streaming, ad revenue is dropping off.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12