Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Next-generation iPhone to Reportedly Be Made From Apple Watch's 7000 Series Aluminum

Default Next-generation iPhone to Reportedly Be Made From Apple Watch's 7000 Series Aluminum

The Apple Watch Sport case is made from a durable aluminum alloy that Apple calls '7000 series' aluminum. It's said to be 60% stronger than the type of aluminum that's already making up the casings of Apple's current iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus models.

This 7000 series aluminum alloy will reportedly make its way to the next-generation iPhone case as well, according to the Taiwan-based news site Economic Daily News. This would make the next-generation iPhone case even stronger and more durable against scratches, dents, and yes -- even the infamous 'bendgate.'

Using the stronger 7000 series aluminum would also allow Apple to make future iPhone models even thinner without having to sacrifice durability and strength; although, with the iPhone already as thin as it is, making it even thinner would seem like a pointless feat, but not an impossible thought considering Apple's obsession with thinness.

Sources: Economic Daily News via MacRumors
    Last edited by Anthony Bouchard; 2015-04-16 at 07:02 PM. Reason: Title Improvements

My iPhone is a Part of Me buggsy2's Avatar
    Thanks

No thinner Puh-Leeze!!!! More battery life dammit.

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to buggsy2 For This Useful Post:

bomb-blast (2015-04-19), sheltons.iphone (2015-04-17)

Thanks

Clears throat..what we want Apple: Better battery life (2 days would be nice) Scratch proof screen (I saw the Apple Watch screen demo and liked it) Im not sure they can get much thinner and feel durable. Just my two pennies.

5. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to bigboyz For This Useful Post:

buggsy2 (2015-04-16), sheltons.iphone (2015-04-17), SpiderManAPV (2015-04-17)

I too am tired of this thinness obsession. Battery life is way more beneficial.

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Nuff Said For This Useful Post:

sheltons.iphone (2015-04-17), SpiderManAPV (2015-04-17)

and SAMOLED.......don't forget AMOLED for display tech....!!!!!! and super high quality camera/video with 4k 60fps

PLEASE!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by swifty7 View Post
    and SAMOLED.......don't forget AMOLED for display tech....!!!!!! and super high quality camera/video with 4k 60fps

PLEASE!!!!!
    Why don't you go buy you a camera that does those things?

I can't understand all the people that want those things in a PHONE. It's a PHONE for crying out loud. The cameras have been great since the iPhone 5.

What's wrong with the display as is? It's plenty good enough, just need to better the tech so everything is more battery friendly. Don't ask for a new recipe before the old one gets perfected.

Quote Originally Posted by sheltons.iphone View Post
    Why don't you go buy you a camera that does those things?

I can't understand all the people that want those things in a PHONE. It's a PHONE for crying out loud. The cameras have been great since the iPhone 5.

What's wrong with the display as is? It's plenty good enough, just need to better the tech so everything is more battery friendly. Don't ask for a new recipe before the old one gets perfected.
    Please don't forget that people in general are never happy with what they have. They tend to forget that only 7 years ago we did not have a color screen on phones, let alone camera, apps and games, sms, email ( some on blackberry), calendar, notes, reminders etc. we did not have the ability to add more that 200 names to the contact list. You had the green background with the dark grey squares for a screen, some monochrome nightmare and the snake for a game. That's it. Everything was bigger, thicker, slower, uglier and more unusable even as a phone. A phone did not fit in your palm let alone your pocket.
    But this thing we carry in our pockets has to be brighter, thinner, faster or something else. Just not good enough as is. The world in your hand is not enough. ( for some)

What kind of company makes money by leaving everything "good enough," when consumers clearly want better things?

Thanks

Default Next-generation iPhone to Reportedly Be Made From Apple Watch's 7000 Series A...
    Quote Originally Posted by Anthony Bouchard View Post
    What kind of company makes money by leaving everything "good enough," when consumers clearly want better things?
    Um, if you're talking about specs, then Apple is the answer to your question :/

Livin' the SPIDEY Life SpiderManAPV's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by DoctorPaco View Post
    Depends. We've been saying good enough when it comes to thickness for years but they just keep pushing the boundaries.

......beware......
    Just your friendly neighborhood Spider-Man!

14. The Following User Says Thank You to SpiderManAPV For This Useful Post:

bomb-blast (2015-04-19)

Although I upgrade my iPhone every year, this article was pretty convincing in terms of the diminishing gap between low- and high-end smartphones as the technology matures. In Defense of Good-Enough Gadgets - WSJ

Livin' the SPIDEY Life SpiderManAPV's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by cpho View Post
    Although I upgrade my iPhone every year, this article was pretty convincing in terms of the diminishing gap between low- and high-end smartphones as the technology matures. In Defense of Good-Enough Gadgets - WSJ
    Can't read without an account :/

......beware......
    Just your friendly neighborhood Spider-Man!

Quote Originally Posted by SpidermanAPV View Post
    Can't read without an account :/
    Sorry, everyone. You can google the name of the article and the whole story will be readable.

Why would you say that? Each year, Apple seems to improve something. Spec-wise, we always get a new chip with improved performance. Apple always has camera improvements with each camera update too –*not always in megapixels, but in camera performance, such as speed, abilities, color, and more.

We were talking about displays. And Apple has been gradually improving their display relatively regularly.

We went from the 3.5-inch non-retina display, to a 3.5-inch retina display, to a 4-inch retina display, to a 4.7 & 5.5-inch retina HD display.

I would expect nothing less than an upgraded display in a future iPhone. Perhaps not the next generation, but to stop with making things better would be an idiotic move by Apple. If they did that, they would quickly sell out.

Thanks

Default Next-generation iPhone to Reportedly Be Made From Apple Watch's 7000 Series A...
    Quote Originally Posted by Anthony Bouchard View Post
    Why would you say that? Each year, Apple seems to improve something. Spec-wise, we always get a new chip with improved performance. Apple always has camera improvements with each camera update too –*not always in megapixels, but in camera performance, such as speed, abilities, color, and more.

We were talking about displays. And Apple has been gradually improving their display relatively regularly.

We went from the 3.5-inch non-retina display, to a 3.5-inch retina display, to a 4-inch retina display, to a 4.7 & 5.5-inch retina HD display.

I would expect nothing less than an upgraded display in a future iPhone. Perhaps not the next generation, but to stop with making things better would be an idiotic move by Apple. If they did that, they would quickly sell out.
    Woah dude. Calm down. Nobody said that Apple will stop improving their devices. That's just dumb. You're missing the point.

Sure there are incremental upgrades, but they always hang around "good enough." Nobody ever says that Apple's new chip is groundbreaking. Nobody ever says that Apple's new display is innovative or fantastic. Spec-wise, Apple makes devices that are "meh". Ffs the iPhone 6+ only has 1gb of RAM.

Where they make up for it is with great optimization on the software side. You don't need an octo-core processor and 3gb of RAM to compete with the GS5. But imagine if Apple set the bar higher for specs… it blow everything else out of the water.

Bottom-line: it's hard to argue that Apple makes devices with exceedingly powerful internals when compared to the rest of the smartphone market.

Woah dude. Calm down. Nobody said that Apple will stop improving their devices. That's just dumb. You're missing the point.

Sure there are incremental upgrades, but they always hang around "good enough." Nobody ever says that Apple's new chip is groundbreaking. Nobody ever says that Apple's new display is innovative or fantastic. Spec-wise, Apple makes devices that are "meh". Ffs the iPhone 6+ only has 1gb of RAM.

Where they make up for it is with great optimization on the software side. You don't need an octo-core processor and 3gb of RAM to compete with the GS5. But imagine if Apple set the bar higher for specs… it blow everything else out of the water.

Bottom-line: it's hard to argue that Apple makes devices with exceedingly powerful internals when compared to the rest of the smartphone market.
    Apple's new chips typically put a very good dent in the competition. We report regularly on Geekbench stats each time a new device is launched. Moreover, another example is their 64-bit architecture, which they were the first to pioneer into a smartphone. So to say their new chips aren't groundbreaking makes me question what you expect. Each chip is always better than the next by more than just a marginal amount.

Although I'll be the first to admit that Apple's chip improvement has been less than explosive these last few years. There were times in the past when Apple would advertise speeds 2x faster than the previous generation, but these last few years, they have been comparing to the original iPhone to blow statistics out of proportion and make a slightly less-wowing chip look more wowing.

Some specs like what you are citing seem completely irrelevant for a mobile device, but if any kind of miniature 4k displays are to be expected in the next 4-8 years, then we can expect some serious chip performance demands, which would mean boosts to CPU, GPU, and memory at that. It would be necessary to drive such hardware.

On the other hand, I don't look forward to such a hardware change because we still don't even have retina HD display support for Ebay and PayPal among many other applications. Just think about how long it might take some lazy developers to support such a display.
    Last edited by Anthony Bouchard; 2015-04-18 at 08:41 AM.

I hear where you're coming from for sure. Every time they announce a new product (not just a phone) I always say, now-a-days anyway, "oh. Okay. Cool."

Except for the apple watch. I have no idea why that's even a real thing, and I'm not sure they know why either. When the iphone first came out, it put an end (even if only slowly) to things like being tied to laptops, GPS, printers, cameras for the average users, iPods and Walkmen and yes, watches. Yet - they aim to bring them back. For what? It isn't standalone, so I need to have my phone on me anyway. If I could just bring the watch out instead of the phone too, then cool. That'd be nice for clubs, suits etc where phones don't fit in pockets well. But both are needed for full functionality? What's the point?

But I digress, incremental upgrades to the iPhones are getting ridiculous. I know I can't put out anything better, but I'm also not the richest company in the world who likely has a prototype available of the iphone 24 that'll double as a chef and transporter from StarTrek. But if they gave us everything in an iphone 7, and it was the ultimate "can't get any better" phone, then that'd be the end of their sales.

It's like everything else; build it well enough to where 1 minute after the warranty expires, it breaks and needs to be replaced. It can't end with the first purchase. It's unfortunate, but what we can do is stop buying their "S" models if we already have the original version of that iphone model. Don't support that move and get them to stop it. The S model is not worth it, even if you can afford it. $850 for a .00034 speed bump in the processor that's hardly noticeable and extra 8 minutes of battery life is hardly a deal - take that money you'd spend and do what I did; buy some Apple stock, it's a great investment.

But saying to boycott the incremental S models is just like the watch. The reviews come out and say not to buy it - damn thing sells out the first day. I'm an "iSheep" too, but I'm not stupid (no offense to those of you that fall into that description.) I'll follow Apple, but I see thru what they do sometimes. I own Apple stock so I love seeing them succeed, but some of the stuff they do...well, I don't let being a shareholder blind me.

I just miss the days when their keynotes didn't feel like a huge disappointment 15 minutes after it's over and I'm looking at the bigger picture.

Green Apple
    Thanks

Apples battery life is way better then before

Quote Originally Posted by Brad.carmichael View Post
    Apples battery life is way better then before
    "Way better" as in a bigger battery? If so, yes. If you're talking about actual usage time, "way better" is a bit of an exaggeration. They usual claim around the same battery life, but that's factoring in the HD retina displays and larger screens with more pixels (as well as other features.) The larger battery (more mah) is meant to make up for the additional battery life these features drain - but actual usage time is not that much better, especially with screen brightness all the way up.

And while I'm not complaining, there isn't any crazy technological leaps going on here, just baby steps. They could fit a considerably larger battery in there if they'd make the phones a little thicker.

Apple is a technology company. Well, let's see it! In the age of self-driving vehicles, drones, robots, 3D printed food/organs, VR and Holograms, I know Apple is capable of more than just "incremental upgrades." I want that crazy excitement from an Apple keynote again, not another eye roll movement. This is the worlds richest company with damn near unlimited resources we're talking about here.

The battery life on the six plus is great.

25. The Following User Says Thank You to novadam For This Useful Post:

Anthony Bouchard (2015-04-21)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast