Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Teen Interest in the Apple Watch Reportedly Drops Ahead of its Launch

What's Jailbreak? Akshay Masand's Avatar
    Thanks

Default Teen Interest in the Apple Watch Reportedly Drops Ahead of its Launch

Back in fall of last year when the hype of the Apple Watch was starting, Piper Jaffray analyst Gene Munster did a semiannual teen survey in regards to the wearable device. Now, a new teen survey has been done again by Gene Munster, which surveyed roughly 6,200 teenagers in the U.S. and questioned their buying plans and device usage habits. Results found that only 11% of teens that were surveyed has plans on buying the Apple Watch compared to the 16% back in October of last year. Currently only 5% of teenagers actually own a smartwatch, and future purchasers noted the top reason behind wanting the Apple Watch was its design and style.

It was noted that 72% of teenagers expects their next mobile device to be an iPhone and 60% want an iPad to replace their current tablet. On the other hand, 21% of teenagers believe that the Android will be their next device, and 16% has plans of purchasing a Android and tablet. It is interesting to know that the number has decreased when compared to the survey revealed from last year. If anything, we thought that number would have already increased after the fact that everyone seems to want the device.

Source: Piper Jaffray via MacRumors

Twitter: @AkshayMasand

I am not in the least bit surprised. My three teens have iPhones and iPads (required for school). I am not going to buy them an Apple Watch, and they don't have the money to buy it on their own. I don't see a lot of kids wear watches.

A $400+ watch is really an excessive purchase for a 13 yr old. I think a $100 watch is too expensive for a 13 yr old.

3. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to peacedog For This Useful Post:

cpho (2015-04-16), crslaeme (2015-04-16), dannyrocket (2015-04-15), sheltons.iphone (2015-04-15), talkin73 (2015-04-15)

iPhone? More like MyPhone vedavis's Avatar
    Thanks

Absolutely correct about the price, which came out just before the launch. I can't even justify the expense, and I'm rich
    Last edited by vedavis; 2015-04-15 at 01:12 PM.

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to vedavis For This Useful Post:

sheltons.iphone (2015-04-15), tlc1217 (2015-04-17)

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Let's see. Teens losing excitement over a 400$ iPod nano. You don't say? Maybe if they would have been reasonable with prices then the excitement would have increased. But 400$ for silicon and aluminum? A pebble is the same thing for 100$. Apple is seriously retarded.

*EDIT* Just wanted to add that really the only difference between the sport and a pebble is only the fact of touch screen. 300$ extra for a touch screen that lasts 5 days less? Go screw yourself apple. Like seriously.
    Last edited by TDH Advocate; 2015-04-15 at 08:37 PM.

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TDH Advocate For This Useful Post:

se23 (2015-04-16), sheltons.iphone (2015-04-15)

Thanks
    Thanked 16,485 Times in 7,705 Posts

Yeah.. It's also a big concern to me that Apple has become a "follower" in the industry today and not an innovator anymore. They first fell off the track when they allowed Windows to be first to the market with a laptop/tablet combo 2 years ago.. Apple should have lead the way there..

Apple is also playing "catch up" with a smart watch.. which have been around now for 3 years..

I also have zero interest in a $400 smart watch. I also don't wear watches. I think this will be a huge flop for Apple.. Though Apples so big now - anything they release will make them a handsome profit.

But it was following not leading that killed Apple in the 90's after Jobs left.. Not saying that could ever again happen. Apple's too large.. They won't fail again.. Releasing a new iPhone every year will keep them in business forever. But Apple's not as impressive as they used to be and nowhere near as innovative.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to NewD For This Useful Post:

sheltons.iphone (2015-04-16)

Why do I need it? Why do I want it? Ever since I read the hype I thought, So what? I want the flexible screen and the cool roll up screen that retracts in Development. Those are amazing!!!!!

Apple Watch RIP with LISA and Newton

11. The Following User Says Thank You to WHUDS For This Useful Post:

Yup. 950 for the phone and 750 for the iPad. Gee, my IMac only cost me 1400. I'm not paying for an iWatch. Around +/-200 for the sport, I may have taken a bite.
    I get the quality part and I think Apple is champ but the premium they keep shoving on their customers, when everyone else is going down is making me more aware of what I need.

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jfzio For This Useful Post:

sheltons.iphone (2015-04-16), TDH Advocate (2015-04-15)

Totally unrelated but all of my messages on my iPhone are green, whereas it used to be blue for iMessage green for text message they are now all green, anyone else got this?

So what you're all saying is you'd prefer the $16,000 model?

Thanks

"Apple has become a "follower" in the industry today and not an innovator anymore." I tend to agree with this statement. The first iPhone was considered innovative because of east of use and its 3.5" touch screen...oh and apps. I have not seen anything innovative on the iPhone since. Only feature that I will even mention is finger print reader. The ease of use with that is great. Beyond that, my first iPhone can do almost everything the iPhone 6+ can do. As for the watch, I was going to purchase one because i am a gadget guy and used to love wearing watches (haven't warn a watch steadily since i was 12) I cannot justify spending 350-$1000 when the watch doesn't do anything that any other smart watch cannot. Just because Apple makes it, doesn't mean it should be priced way higher than the current offerings.

17. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to bigboyz For This Useful Post:

se23 (2015-04-16), sheltons.iphone (2015-04-16), StaceyMJ86 (2015-04-15), TDH Advocate (2015-04-15)

Quote Originally Posted by Owboinator1 View Post
    Totally unrelated but all of my messages on my iPhone are green, whereas it used to be blue for iMessage green for text message they are now all green, anyone else got this?
    Server may be down. Check settings in Messages to verify 'send as SMS' is enabled.

I teen not interested on a watch+device from $350+ but will pay $350+ for a pair of Jordan's, it's ok leave it to the grownups like me that need a watch+device for the price of one.

If they would cut out the junk features like sending your heartbeat to another Apple Watch and make the pricing more competitive, I would consider.

21. The Following User Says Thank You to peacedog For This Useful Post:

TDH Advocate (2015-04-15)

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by peacedog View Post
    If they would cut out the junk features like sending your heartbeat to another Apple Watch and make the pricing more competitive, I would consider.
    Some people actually have use for that feature. Mostly long distance relationships or when someone has to leave home for a while. It's helpful to their partner in times of need. Just saying.

23. The Following User Says Thank You to TDH Advocate For This Useful Post:

Sage I (2015-04-16)

Quote Originally Posted by vedavis View Post
    Absolutely correct about the price, which came out just before the launch. I can't even justify the expense, and I'm rich
    If u cant justify a 400 $ expense you sir are not as rich as you believe....im poor with a smartwatch....who justifies my expense? Work...rich people arr sad

My iPhone is a Part of Me Donnutt's Avatar
    Thanks

If I were stupid rich, I'd buy my whole family a gold one. As it stands, I'm not buying one, because the one I would want is $699 and it's not waterproof.

26. The Following User Says Thank You to Donnutt For This Useful Post:

iPhone? More like MyPhone MoDaLoT's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Donnutt View Post
    If I were stupid rich, I'd buy my whole family a gold one. As it stands, I'm not buying one, because the one I would want is $699 and it's not waterproof.
    One question why would you want to submerge your device in water anyway?

Quote Originally Posted by Mrinfame View Post
    If u cant justify a 400 $ expense you sir are not as rich as you believe....im poor with a smartwatch....who justifies my expense? Work...rich people arr sad
    His justifications are probably like mine....why buy a device that, in most cases, cost more than your iPhone and can't really operate without your phone. I haven't worn a watch in forever, and since I have a smartphone, why get one now? So I can leave my iPhone in my pocket when I sit so I can bend it???

I can easily afford it, but it's NOT a justifiable expense for me.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Mrinfame View Post
    I think being careful with his money is the reason he is rich, he doesn't waste it. Probably be middle class that buy this watch and you know the trouble we are in

My iPhone is a Part of Me Donnutt's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by MoDaLoT View Post
    One question why would you want to submerge your device in water anyway?
    It's a fitness watch that you can't swim with. Also, showering, doing dishes, watering the lawn, water balloon fights, ice bucket challenges... Life can get wet. I want my device to be able to, too.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast