Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Initial Reviews of the Apple Watch Indiciate the Device 'Isn't for Everyone'

Default Initial Reviews of the Apple Watch Indiciate the Device 'Isn't for Everyone'

Initial un-boxing videos and reviews of the Apple Watch are beginning to surface online ahead of the pre-order date of Friday, April 10th and the overall reaction to the device seems to be pretty uniform among all the reviews out there: "It's not for everyone."

The Apple Watch, first and foremost, is an accessory to your iPhone. You can't properly use an Apple Watch without an iPhone because it's made to integrate with your iPhone to show notifications, to keep track of your health information, and more. Without an iPhone, your Apple Watch won't know what to do.

Many reviews are seeing the device as one that isn't a necessity, which makes sense because wearables are somewhat of a personal preference, while many would rather just have a concealable smartphone that they can just toss in their pocket or leave on a table when they're not using it instead of strapped to their wrist. Plus, there isn't a whole lot that it can do that your iPhone can't, apart from a very small amount of features.

The early reviews are also agreeing that the Apple Watch Sport is probably your best bet for your money, as shelling out a bunch of money for what appears to be a device still in its prototype stages in terms of usability and practicality is just going to feel like an overall waste. For example, the expensive $10,000 Apple Watch Edition is pretty much a joke, unless you're rich and just want to show off.

The stainless steel Apple Watch may be worth it depending on how durable you need the device to be, as it comes with a Sapphire Glass display and strong stainless steel case instead of ion-strengthened glass and aluminum, but for a stainless steel Apple Watch, you're looking at over $500 with most configurations instead of just $350 for the basic Apple Watch Sport.

On the flip side, the many reviews also seem to agree that the Apple Watch is still the most promising smart watch to date, so maybe something will spark interest in the next generation of the device more-so than the first.

If you were thinking about getting one of these, you might consider holding off for now, unless of course you just really want to fit in with the bandwagon.

Sources: The Verge
    Last edited by Anthony Bouchard; 2015-04-08 at 06:30 PM.

Thanks

I feel "curiosity" is going to lead me down the path of purchase. I can always recoup most of the money if I sell it myself. I feel the resellers market for these is going to be a booming business.

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bigboyz For This Useful Post:

Anthony Bouchard (2015-04-08), charliebordelon84 (2015-04-09)

Quote Originally Posted by bigboyz View Post
    I feel "curiosity" is going to lead me down the path of purchase. I can always recoup most of the money if I sell it myself. I feel the resellers market for these is going to be a booming business.
    I will probably settle for a low end one just to see what one of these is like. And like you say, if I don't like it, probably sell it off.

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

If I could afford one, I would. Maybe my carrier will offer them with easy pay payments, I could do it then. I'll just have to wait.

My iPhone is a Part of Me bmwraw8482's Avatar
    Thanks

I just wish the battery life was better. I go 40+ hours without access to an electric outlet on many days. My Fitbit surge is great and sparks a lot of curiosity so I'm sure the apple watch $100 premium over the fitbit is well worth it in terms of quality and performance....except that pesky battery

I wouldn't mind having one but I just can't see myself spending that much money on this product.. I mean $500+ on a new iPhone fudge any day but $400+ on an apple watch that I would have to charge on a daily basis and wouldn't really use and just to say yeah I got one to :-/ I'll pass.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to zeroskater61 For This Useful Post:

Rcworship (2015-04-09)

"isn't for everyone"

this is kind of a non statement, isn't it? I mean, show me a single product that is for "everyone" other than air, water, and basic nutrients. Of course it's not for everyone!

Quote Originally Posted by bigboyz View Post
    Sounds like someone is talking themselves into buying one. I told meself the same thing when I shelled out for the original iPhone and never got rid of it. I also thought about doing this for the watch and using the 14 day return policy to bring it back, but I've learned form past "mistakes". (I was in grad school at the time and the expense was way out of budget)

Its the same logic a lot of companies give you money back guarantees or similar offers. Most people just need the comfort of thinking they can return something to talk themselves over th cliff. But if you have the cash, by all means go for it.

My iPhone is a Part of Me politicalslug's Avatar
    Thanks

Battery life needs to exceed an iPhone, yet currently it's about half that of an iPhone. Right now instead of keeping the watch on to check notifications on my charging iPhone, I would just be using the iPhone and forget this thug is still connected to the charger. I'm really just surprised that Apple is charging such a premium when the battery clearly can't make it through one full day. Maybe if these were $150 a piece then I could buy one to use while the other was charging, but that too is a hassle. No thanks.
    They can have my jailbreak when they pry it from my cold dead fingers.

I want to wait for next years. If it is gonna be thinner than I can get the cheap model because they all look the same except for the gold one and you know how much 3rd party are gonna create sexy bands for 1/4 of the price of apples bands. I might splurge for the steel which it comes with sapphire glass. I usually wait a couple weeks after its out to make my decision

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Silverado1987 For This Useful Post:

MoDaLoT (2015-04-09)

I'll be buying the stainless steel one at 3:01 Friday morning. I've waited about 4 years for this thing to just exist! I'm not wasting any time.

If I had the money I'd get one. But then, if I had money I'd have all kinds of crazy toys. Maybe one day - I simply can't justify a super-tiny iDevice for the same price as a full-sized (and far more powerful) iPad.

Quote Originally Posted by politicalslug View Post
    Battery life needs to exceed an iPhone, yet currently it's about half that of an iPhone. Right now instead of keeping the watch on to check notifications on my charging iPhone, I would just be using the iPhone and forget this thug is still connected to the charger. I'm really just surprised that Apple is charging such a premium when the battery clearly can't make it through one full day. Maybe if these were $150 a piece then I could buy one to use while the other was charging, but that too is a hassle. No thanks.
    So amusing when people spout off nonsense about a product they haven't even tried yet.

Did I say amusing? I meant annoying.

Quote Originally Posted by charliebordelon84 View Post
    I'll be buying the stainless steel one at 3:01 Friday morning. I've waited about 4 years for this thing to just exist! I'm not wasting any time.
    I'd like to have a stainless steel one since it'll be more durable, especially with the sapphire glass, but I think I'm going to settle for the Sport since it's $150 cheaper.

iPhone? More like MyPhone jackbauerctu's Avatar
    Thanks

I'll wait for the apple watch 2 to come out. Hopefully the battery will be better then.

I guess I'm in the minority, but the battery life issue is never a big deal for me. If I take the watch off when I go to bed and attach the charger, it will have plenty of juice for a full day before I go to bed the next night. I would probably get an extra charger to keep at work, but otherwise this just seems like something to complain about.

Then again, I've never had an iPhone go dead on me because I do keep a charger in various locations.

19. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to eballesq For This Useful Post:

charliebordelon84 (2015-04-13), Sage I (2015-04-12)

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony Bouchard View Post
    I'd like to have a stainless steel one since it'll be more durable, especially with the sapphire glass, but I think I'm going to settle for the Sport since it's $150 cheaper.
    Understandable but like I said I've had money set aside for a few years waiting for this watch to come out. So I had no problem with the extra few dollars. But everyone else I know went with the sport also. They won't be getting theirs till June though. Slackers!