Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: 'Secret-Lock' is a New Lock Screen Security Tweak So You Won't Need a Passcode Anymore

Default 'Secret-Lock' is a New Lock Screen Security Tweak So You Won't Need a Passcode Anymore

Typically, when you want additional security on your iPhone, you just set a passcode and call it a day. But after a while, it gets cumbersome having to enter that passcode every time you want to unlock your device, especially when you do so over and over again.

Now, this kind of changed with Touch ID, which has made it significantly faster to get into your device, but sometimes Touch ID's accuracy gets bad with time due to finger grease on the Touch ID sensor and just overall file corruption.

A new free jailbreak tweak called Secret-Lock by iOS developer H3xept, on the other hand, aims to make it so you don't even need to have a passcode or Touch ID enabled on your device, but still get the benefit of having a secure Lock Screen.

The way this tweak works is your Lock Screen will appear to be frozen and there will be no way to unlock your device until you first input a secret Activator action, which can be whatever you like. We suggest a hardware button activator action, such as pressing both the volume up and volume down buttons, as this reduces the risk or error. The developer goes a step further to suggest assigning more than one Activator gesture to protect your ability to use the device in case one fails.

Even the notifications that appear on your Lock Screen, the Control Center & Notification Center grabbers, and the Camera grabber are all disabled until your Activator action is used.

Once you successfully input your Activator action that you set, a green unlock icon appears on your Lock Screen, as shown above, indicating that you're good to slide to unlock your iPhone. Obviously, someone that doesn't know your secret Activator gesture won't be able to guess it and therefore won't be able to unlock your device, so it's a decent alternative to a passcode while still remaining convenient for you to unlock your device faster.

The tweak adds a preferences pane to the Settings application where you can configure its options to your liking:

Options include:

• Enabling or disabling the tweak on demand
    • Hiding or showing the animation for attempting to unlock your device
    • Vibrating when you successfully guess the Activator gesture
    • Configuring the Activator gesture that you would like to use

If you're interested in giving Secret-Lock a try, it's available free of charge in Cydia's BigBoss repository right now. The tweak requires Activator, and therefore it will be installed alongside Secret-Lock if it's not already installed. Check it out!

Name: Secret-Lock
    Price: FREE
    Version: 1.0-2
    Requirements: iOS 8.0-8.1.2, Activator
    Tested on: iPhone 5 running iOS 8.1.2
    Repo: BigBoss
    Developer: H3xept
    Editor's Rating: / 4.5/5

Livin' the SPIDEY Life SpiderManAPV's Avatar
    Thanks

This seems like a good concept, but a series of activator actions doesn't sound at all "Less cumbersome" to me.

......beware......
    Just your friendly neighborhood Spider-Man!

Quote Originally Posted by SpidermanAPV View Post
    This seems like a good concept, but a series of activator actions doesn't sound at all "Less cumbersome" to me.
    It'll never be a series of Activator actions.

You only ever use one Activator action at once.

The developer recommended using more than one so that you could use ANY of the several you choose to unlock. That is just in case one of them doesn't work so well on the Lock Screen, you have a backup action.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Anthony Bouchard For This Useful Post:

SpiderManAPV (2015-04-04)

Or just safe mode boot.

Quote Originally Posted by Nuff Said View Post
    Or just safe mode boot.
    Indeed, thanks to Apple that we have TouchID :sigh:

In all honesty, I see very little, if not more than 1% of the people around you that actually know anything about Safe Mode on jailbroken devices. Most people with jailbroken devices themselves don't even know they have that feature.

Ask me how I know... would you believe the amount of e-mails I get from people saying they restored and lost their jailbreaks trying to troubleshoot tweaks?

So, I don't consider it much of a threat on my security, nor a reason to bash this tweak for its functionality.

It wasn't a bash on the tweak, it was in response to having to set multiple gestures in case you forget. When you can just safe boot and use pin/print.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Nuff Said For This Useful Post:

SpiderManAPV (2015-04-05)

It wasn't a bash on the tweak, it was in response to having to set multiple gestures in case you forget. When you can just safe boot and use pin/print.
    Well okay, but I always hear the "safe mode" approach towards all security tweaks that come out in Cydia, so I apologize if I came off that way. It's just something I set out to really clarify in future posts about security tweaks where people say Safe Mode is a way around it. While it is, it's highly unlikely.

Yeah I agree. I personally don't even know of any other jail breakers much less any that know of the safe mode boot.

Livin' the SPIDEY Life SpiderManAPV's Avatar
    Thanks

Yeah I agree. I personally don't even know of any other jail breakers much less any that know of the safe mode boot.
    Safe mode boot is the best behind the scenes thing to happen to jailbreak since I started jailbreaking.

......beware......
    Just your friendly neighborhood Spider-Man!

13. The Following User Says Thank You to SpiderManAPV For This Useful Post:

Anthony Bouchard (2015-04-06)

Quote Originally Posted by SpidermanAPV View Post
    Safe mode boot is the best behind the scenes thing to happen to jailbreak since I started jailbreaking.
    It's saved my butt plenty of times.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Anthony Bouchard For This Useful Post:

SpiderManAPV (2015-04-06)

I used to have a tweek in ios7 to draw a passcode. This worked great for when my phone was in my arm band while running as I could save battery with the display secured and off on my runs and if I wanted to see running starts I had a simple gesture I could draw on the screen to unlock to quickly look at my stats and then re-lock without having to stop. My coordination with checking the phone while running is not great. I need that tweak back. This one requires you to also slide to unlock; so just one more thing to do. I need that other tweak back

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by bencjedi View Post
    I used to have a tweek in ios7 to draw a passcode. This worked great for when my phone was in my arm band while running as I could save battery with the display secured and off on my runs and if I wanted to see running starts I had a simple gesture I could draw on the screen to unlock to quickly look at my stats and then re-lock without having to stop. My coordination with checking the phone while running is not great. I need that tweak back. This one requires you to also slide to unlock; so just one more thing to do. I need that other tweak back
    You should give AndroidLock XT a try. It's iOS 8 compatible and lets you draw a custom unlock pattern. It also has a bypass passcode option. It's one of my favorite tweaks.

this tweak bricked my phone. It won't work and I have no way into my phone. Is there a way to force safe mode that I have missed? Avoid this tweak at all costs.

Quote Originally Posted by etmakesmovies View Post
    this tweak bricked my phone. It won't work and I have no way into my phone. Is there a way to force safe mode that I have missed? Avoid this tweak at all costs.
    Nevermind, The volume up button method worked and I uninstalled this trap. AVOID THIS TWEAK!

Quote Originally Posted by etmakesmovies View Post
    Nevermind, The volume up button method worked and I uninstalled this trap. AVOID THIS TWEAK!
    If you can't use it properly it does not mean that it bricks your phone and you should avoid it.