View Poll Results: Should Apple force app developers to update their applications for the latest devices?

Voters
13. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes.

10 76.92%
  • No.

3 23.08%
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: [POLL] Shouldn't All Apps Support the Retina HD Display By Now?

iPhone? More like MyPhone hopethemodworx's Avatar
    Thanks

I've noticed the same. The larger companies don't seem to care much.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to hopethemodworx For This Useful Post:

TDH Advocate (2015-04-01)

Quote Originally Posted by n00neimp0rtant View Post
    I work for a company that builds commerce iOS apps for retailers. Updating an app to support the Retina HD display is an enormous amount of work, often rivaling the amount of work it would take to rewrite the app completely from scratch. Full Retina HD support means 2 things: 1) the entire app's interface employs autolayout, and 2) all image assets come in @3x size.

Autolayout: instead of placing UI elements at arbitrary coordinates on the screen (this was fine before Retina HD displays, since all the phones were the same width), developers now have to specify constraints for every element. "This button should always be centered in its superview," "this text label should always be 10 px from the left edge of the screen and no more than 2 lines high," "these images should all have the same X coordinate," and so on. This is already extremely time-consuming even if the interface is mostly done in Interface Builder, but it's nearly impossible otherwise, as is the case with many of our older apps that were built on a framework that exclusively builds the UI from code.

Image assets: if your graphic designers designed the UI at 2x in a non-vector design tool (e.g. Photoshop), then they have to redo all of the assets almost from scratch. No way around it.

On top of all of that, some clients don't even realize there's anything amiss. When the app "looks fine" to them, it's hard to convince them otherwise, especially upon breaking the news of how much work would have to go into fixing something that they didn't even notice was a problem.
    I agree with you there!

As an iOS app developer myself, it is an EXTREME PAIN IN THE A** using AutoLayout. I had to use that for every single one of my UI elements, dealing with constraints to ensure it positions correctly. Then I had to run simulations on all devices to ensure it was not mis-aligned.

However, I only wrote one app, so it was not that bad.

However, developers who only have a couple of apps, and at least the well-known companies whose gross profit is million/billions should be able to expend time to update their most popular apps.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to EVO For This Useful Post:

Anthony Bouchard (2015-03-31), TDH Advocate (2015-04-01)

Quote Originally Posted by EVO View Post
    However, developers who only have a couple of apps, and at least the well-known companies whose gross profit is million/billions should be able to expend time to update their most popular apps.
    ^ This

You can't tell me that Ebay and PayPal don't have the developer force or the funds to make this happen.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Anthony Bouchard For This Useful Post:

TDH Advocate (2015-04-01)

Not even this Web page app is optimized. Shame

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12