Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: 'Multify' Gives You True Side-by-side Multitasking On Jailbroken iOS 8 Devices

Default 'Multify' Gives You True Side-by-side Multitasking On Jailbroken iOS 8 Devices

True multitasking is something that the iOS mobile operating system has always lacked. Instead, Apple uses what is called an App Switcher to let you switch between recently-used applications quickly and efficiently. While users continue to demand true multitasking on Apple's mobile devices, the jailbreak community is, so far, the only place where iOS users can find this kind of functionality.

A new jailbreak tweak called Multify by iOS developers J. Corbett & J. Einbinder hit Cydia Monday afternoon promising some of the best true multitasking functionality on the iOS platform yet. The tweak lets you run two, three, four, and more applications on your display at the same time using a special new customizable interface, as shown above.

In what starts as an App Switcher/Chat Heads-looking interface, you can edit your interface to have multiple applications running on the display at once. As you can see, we have the ModMyi application open, and are also running the Photos and Mobile Safari applications on top of it. Multify allows us to interact with all of these applications simultaneously without compromise, although because the mobile device display has limited canvas space, you're not going to want to shrink the applications down too small as this can hinder productivity.

Multify uses Activator to be hidden and shown. You can enable the Multify interface while you're in an application, and you'll see the little floating bubble in your application as shown below:

When you open the bubble, you can add new applications from your customizable favorites list that you can run side-by-side while in the application you're inside of:

You can then edit the size and orientation of the applications from the built-in editing mode:

Multify adds a preferences pane to the Settings application where you can configure the tweak's functionality and appearance to your specific liking:

The options include re-sizing the keyboard to fit the individual applications, customizing the appearance of the user interface, selecting what applications will be your favorite applications that you can use in the Multify interface, and configuring Activator gestures for opening Multify, entering the edit mode in Multify, and opening applications with Multify.

In terms of appearance, you get the following options:

Color Style
    • Gradient
    • Solid
    • Clear

Color
    • Black
    • Dark Gray
    • Light Gray
    • White
    • Gray
    • Red
    • Green
    • Blue
    • Cyan
    • Yellow
    • Magenta
    • Orange
    • Purple
    • Brown

Blur Style
    • Black Blur
    • White Blur
    • None

One thing to note about Multify is that it seems best suited for those with larger displays, like iPad users, iPhone 6 users, and iPhone 6 Plus users. The tweak will work alright on other devices too, such as the iPhone 5, iPhone 5s, and iPod touch 5g, but it's not as recommended due to the very limited display real estate. We tested this tweak on the iPhone 5 and it felt slightly crowded when running any more than two applications side-by-side at one time, but in terms of performance, the tweak doesn't make the device lag much at all, in fact, the fluidity of the tweak feels like it was built into iOS by Apple themselves.

We can see how this tweak could be very useful for users that want to watch videos and text message at the same time without interrupting their videos, and it would probably be useful in a handful of other everyday circumstances where Apple's app-switching is just inconvenient and makes you want to eat your own foot.

We think that it's definitely worth while trying this tweak out if true multitasking is something you've always wanted on your iOS 8 device, but the tweak comes in at a moderate $5.00 price tag in Cydia's BigBoss repository, which might steer some customers away.

What are your thoughts on Multify – share below!

Name: Multify
    Price: $5.00
    Version: 1.0-31
    Requirements: iOS 8.0-8.1.2, Activator, AppList, libobjcipc
    Tested on: iPhone 5 running iOS 8.1.2
    Repo: BigBoss
    Developer(s): J Corbett & J. Einbinder
    Editor's Rating:  5/5
    Last edited by Anthony Bouchard; 2015-03-30 at 10:40 PM.

Default 'Multify' Gives You True Side-by-side Multitasking On Jailbroken iOS 8 Devices
    Can't get edit mode to engage no matter what activation method I choose, and trying to open an app in multify mode leads to safe mode every time no matter what app I try to open. I'd save my five dollars for now and wait for an update. Pretty useless five dollar tweak as it stands now.

I use ReachApp for multitasking. Not as many options, but a great free alternative.

Livin' the SPIDEY Life SpiderManAPV's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mOj087 View Post
    I use ReachApp for multitasking. Not as many options, but a great free alternative.
    I've never heard of it. What's it do?

......beware......
    Just your friendly neighborhood Spider-Man!

Reach App puts the last used app in the empty space when reachability is activated. You can also set it to a default app or choose from a list.
    Last edited by mOj087; 2015-03-31 at 02:21 AM.

Does this work on 8.2 beta 2?

Livin the iPhone Life vinaygoel2000's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by moj087 View Post
    i use reachapp for multitasking. Not as many options, but a great free alternative.
    i ᑕᗩᑎ't ᖴiᑎᗪ ᖇeᗩᑕᕼ ᗩᑭᑭ oᖇ ᖇeᗩᑕᕼᗩᑭᑭ iᑎ ᑕyᗪiᗩ

Livin' the SPIDEY Life SpiderManAPV's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mOj087 View Post
    Reach App puts the last used app in the empty space when reachability is activated. You can also set it to a default app or choose from a list.
    Do you know if it's 6/6+ only or if it works for a 5s with ReachAll?

......beware......
    Just your friendly neighborhood Spider-Man!

Quote Originally Posted by SpidermanAPV View Post
    Do you know if it's 6/6+ only or if it works for a 5s with ReachAll?
    I haven't tried it on a 5S.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to mOj087 For This Useful Post:

SpiderManAPV (2015-03-31)

Awesome I didn't know about reachapp. Thanks

My iPhone is a Part of Me Padgoi's Avatar
    Thanks

I've had ReachApp and now Multify and Multify is much better. Definitely worth the $5 in my opinion. Works very well and this is with someone with many tweaks, including animation heavy lockscreen and springboard GB+ and GL+ themes running simultaneously.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Padgoi For This Useful Post:

Anthony Bouchard (2015-03-31)

Livin the iPhone Life vinaygoel2000's Avatar
    Thanks

Why can I not find ReachApp in Cydia? I'm on 8.1.2, 6+

Quote Originally Posted by vinaygoel2000 View Post
    Oops I thought it was BigBoss but it is from this repo:

Http://elijahandandrew.com/repo/

I also have BatteryUsageEnhancer from them which is awesome.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to mOj087 For This Useful Post:

vinaygoel2000 (2015-03-31)

Wow, very nice app. Running it on my iPad air with no issues. Really impressive. Finally an app to fill the void left by Quasar.

They need a walk thru video

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by the_chosen_one View Post
    They need a walk thru video
    iDownloadBlog has one on YouTube.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by vinaygoel2000 View Post
    ReachApp is good, but it has limitations. The tweak would crash with any resource-intensive apps open. Further it only supported two apps at a time and opened the second app in the Reachability screen. Multify is a completely different tweak in that it doesn't require Reachability at all, it's true multi-tasking.

21. The Following User Says Thank You to Padgoi For This Useful Post:

mOj087 (2015-03-31)

Adding apps to Multify causes my 6 Plus on 8.1.1 to go into Safe Mode. Not sure with is causing the conflict. Any one getting the same issue?

Thanks

I got my first safe mode before when entering edit mode. I'm sure it'll be ironed out in future updates.

I have the same issues work adding apps in multify mode, and I can't get edit mode to engage no matter what activator method I assign.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast