Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Apple Patent Reveals Ability to Require Users to Input Health Data to Use the iPhone

What's Jailbreak? Akshay Masand's Avatar
    Thanks

Default Apple Patent Reveals Ability to Require Users to Input Health Data to Use the iPhone

Apple seems to be exploring presenting iPhone users with non-dismissible notifications, ones that require personal health data to be entered before resuming normal use of their device, in a concept that could help break bad habits. The details of the concept were revealed in a newly published Apple patent application dubbed “Notifications with Input-Based Completion.” It describes prompts on an iPhone that could actively block access to using the device until certain data is entered.

The examples used to describe the filing were all health-related. For example, screenshots show users being prompted to check their weight or blood pressure through iOS Reminders app. Given the recent launch of HealthKit and the accompanying Health app in iOS 8, along with the new fitness-focused Apple Watch, there’s a chance that Apple could possibly use this method to encourage iPhone owners to keep up to date on the status of their health rather than avoiding it.

The application notes that data for these prompts can be received from connected third-party accessories. In this case, checking the blood pressure each day at 10:00am could allow the data to be collected from the external sensor. Other concepts that were mentioned include checking for calories burnt per day, blood pressure and body mass index. The system could also alert users when certain data exceeds a pre-set value, potentially helping the user to avoid serious health complications. It should be noted that these non-dismissible alerts could also help extend to actions beyond health data as well.

In the filing, the Cupertino California company shows a new potion for creating reminders entitled “Required User Input.” Apple’s concept also includes the ability to utilize tags such as “Health” or “Projects” as reminders. The patent has been published by the US Patent and Trademark office this week, credited to Gencer Cili, with the invention being filed for by Apple in September of 2013.

Source: USPTO via AppleInsider

Twitter: @AkshayMasand

Livin' the SPIDEY Life SpiderManAPV's Avatar
    Thanks

As long as this feature isn't required/enabled-by-default it could be nice.

......beware......
    Just your friendly neighborhood Spider-Man!

Why on earth would I want to be forced into entering personal health data just so that I could use my phone?

4. The Following User Says Thank You to rickuk For This Useful Post:

sheltons.iphone (2015-03-29)

Default Apple Patent Reveals Ability to Require Users to Input Health Data to Use the...
    Quote Originally Posted by rickuk View Post
    Why on earth would I want to be forced into entering personal health data just so that I could use my phone?
    Just another way for Apple to control your life.