Results 1 to 8 of 8

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.


Thread: Apple to Reportedly Use Intel LTE Chips for Next-Gen iPhone

  1. #1
    What's Jailbreak? Akshay Masand's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    New York City
    Posts
    5,897
    Thanks
    3
    Thanked 200 Times in 179 Posts

    Default Apple to Reportedly Use Intel LTE Chips for Next-Gen iPhone


    The Cupertino California company is reportedly turning to Intel’s new XMM 7360 LTE modem when it launches a special next-gen iPhone model in 2016. The news suggests that the company is looking to diversify its baseband chip suppliers. The fast wireless modem is set to be used in an upcoming variant which is targeted for release in emerging markets such a as Asia and Latin America.

    This report claims that Apple engineers have been traveling “for months’ to Intel’s LTE chip research and development offices in Munich, Germany to work on the project. Intel previously acquired the facility and purchased Infineon for $1.4 billion back in 2010. The Cupertino California company ended up tapping Infineon to provide chipsets for the original iPhone which was introduced in 2007 and continued to source silicon from the firm until it was bought out by Intel. At this point, Apple ended up relying on chips from Qualcomm, but it should be noted that relations with the company have been “uneasy.”

    Despite the fact that Intel is a major supplier for Apple’s Mac lineup, the opportunity for Intel to provide chips for the iPhone was passed up. Tension between the two companies continued to increase as Intel pushed its Atom processors in products competing against iOS devices, which ended up being powered by Apple’s ARM-based A-series silicon.

    As far as the XMM 7360, a brief which detailed the product noted that key features include LTE-FDD/TDD of up to 450 Mbps, LTE Advanced up to Category 10, Voice Over LTE, 3X carrier aggregation and the usual wide variety of worldwide ban support. Most notably, the chip seems to be compatible with TD-SCDMA which is a unique wireless standard that is used by China Mobile.

    We’ll have to wait and see if the information provided by the report turns out to be true.

    Source: VentureBeat

    Twitter: @AkshayMasand

  2. #2
    My iPhone is a Part of Me
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Oklahoma
    Posts
    631
    Thanks
    31
    Thanked 77 Times in 74 Posts

    If Apple does utilize this chipset, then more than likely it'll be only for non-US devices or a separate model for certain countries (China, for example). Either that or have Intel make enough modifications to make it more U.S.-friendly.

    The chipset mentioned doesn't support CDMA from the data sheets I've looked over, which means VZW, Sprint, U.S. Cellular and about a near dozen other regional carriers would lose the ability to have backup voice support.

    Yes, I know it's becoming moot in many areas, but there's still a need to offer CDMA backup, at least on many regional carriers.

    Sounds good to diversify though, as that might mitigate costs and drive cost of production down.
    Member of the hackint0sh forums.
    HowardForums Member: Haas_Dave

  3. #3
    Livin the iPhone Life Carvensno's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Butte, MT
    Posts
    2,199
    Thanks
    2,734
    Thanked 1,820 Times in 798 Posts

    Doesn't really matter how fast or much faster the chips are anyways. The bottleneck for speed is at the carriers and their cell towers. These specs sound good and all for marketing purposes, but that about it!

  4. #4
    Quote Originally Posted by GenesisDH View Post
    If Apple does utilize this chipset, then more than likely it'll be only for non-US devices or a separate model for certain countries (China, for example). Either that or have Intel make enough modifications to make it more U.S.-friendly.

    The chipset mentioned doesn't support CDMA from the data sheets I've looked over, which means VZW, Sprint, U.S. Cellular and about a near dozen other regional carriers would lose the ability to have backup voice support.

    Yes, I know it's becoming moot in many areas, but there's still a need to offer CDMA backup, at least on many regional carriers.

    Sounds good to diversify though, as that might mitigate costs and drive cost of production down.

    CDMA is going away. When Verizon completes its rollout of LTE, they will put CDMA to sleep. I saw this coming years ago when they first rolled out CDMA/EV-DO and the rest of the world was pretty much on 3G/GSM. Sprint also failed with its WiMax and they are also looking to complete their LTE rollout.

  5. The Following User Says Thank You to NSXrebel For This Useful Post:

    Silverado1987 (2015-03-12)

  6. #5
    My iPhone is a Part of Me
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Oklahoma
    Posts
    631
    Thanks
    31
    Thanked 77 Times in 74 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by NSXrebel View Post
    CDMA is going away. When Verizon completes its rollout of LTE, they will put CDMA to sleep. I saw this coming years ago when they first rolled out CDMA/EV-DO and the rest of the world was pretty much on 3G/GSM. Sprint also failed with its WiMax and they are also looking to complete their LTE rollout.
    Verizon & Sprint yes, but don't forget about the smaller carriers that have to still buildout a network and retain customer base. That's not easy to do without time and retaining legacy support. That's the issue, IMO.
    Member of the hackint0sh forums.
    HowardForums Member: Haas_Dave

  7. #6
    Quote Originally Posted by GenesisDH View Post
    Verizon & Sprint yes, but don't forget about the smaller carriers that have to still buildout a network and retain customer base. That's not easy to do without time and retaining legacy support. That's the issue, IMO.
    The smaller carriers piggy back off the big 4.

  8. The Following User Says Thank You to NSXrebel For This Useful Post:

    jery911 (2015-03-13)

  9. #7
    Quote Originally Posted by NSXrebel View Post
    The smaller carriers piggy back off the big 4.
    Pretty much

  10. #8
    iPhone? More like MyPhone Tperry's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    East Texas
    Posts
    220
    Thanks
    5
    Thanked 8 Times in 7 Posts

    Default Apple to Reportedly Use Intel LTE Chips for Next-Gen iPhone
    Quote Originally Posted by NSXrebel View Post
    CDMA is going away. When Verizon completes its rollout of LTE, they will put CDMA to sleep. I saw this coming years ago when they first rolled out CDMA/EV-DO and the rest of the world was pretty much on 3G/GSM. Sprint also failed with its WiMax and they are also looking to complete their LTE rollout.
    Don't tell that to about 50% of the city I live in. Not all of us live in cities with 80K plus populations. Areas that you would think would have a good signal don't. Until recently they had to use a LTE to landline Ethernet booster in the local corporate store because the LTE signal was so poor they had to walk out back to get a phone to activate on LTE. I live in a city of around 18,000 and we are the county seat so you can imagine what it is like for the surrounding communities. In several of them you can not even get a cell signal.
    Last edited by Tperry; 2015-03-13 at 07:28 AM.
    Not a waterboy for Android OR Apple.

Posting Permissions
  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •