Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Apple Extends the Life of its iPhone 5 Battery Replacement Program for Another Year

Default Apple Extends the Life of its iPhone 5 Battery Replacement Program for Another Year

Apple appears to have extended the life of its iPhone 5 battery replacement program by another year. Apple has a dedicated Web page for the program on the company's Web site where users can perform a test with their serial number to find out if the battery is covered or not on their specific handset.

The program, which was expected to end March 1st of this year, looks to have been extended until January of 2016 or three years after the retail sale of the unit, whichever is longer. This gives those that are slower to learn about the program, or that are waiting until their batteries actually fail on them, a way to replace their battery if needed if they already missed the deadline. This unannounced change by Apple was first spotted by iPhone in Canada.

The program was first announced in August of last year by the Cupertino-based company because of an issue that could occur with these batteries that could cause them to have a shorter battery life than expected, or for that matter needing to be charged more often than they should to keep the device running throughout normal tasks.

To read more about the program and to check your device's eligibility, you can head over to Apple's Web site at this link.

Sources: AppleInsider, (Image via iFixit)

Easier to do it yourself I think

My iPhone is a Part of Me
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by docmagoo2 View Post
    But for free? This topic is talking about the 'recall' of a number of faulty batteries from early production runs of that device.
    Member of the hackint0sh forums.
    HowardForums Member: Haas_Dave

4. The Following User Says Thank You to GenesisDH For This Useful Post:

Anthony Bouchard (2015-03-07)

Quote Originally Posted by docmagoo2 View Post
    Apple will perform the repair free of cost, which is a benefit to going through the program. You can just take it to your local Apple Store and walk out within an hour or two with your repaired iPhone.

My iPhone is a Part of Me buggsy2's Avatar
    Thanks

But if your iPhone 5 is jailbroken will they still replace the battery?

7. The Following User Says Thank You to buggsy2 For This Useful Post:

vXBaKeRXv (2015-03-08)

Previously Known as A.T MetallicaFan1991's Avatar
    Thanks

I had a replacemnt iPhone which was still within 12 months of release when it became faulty. Apple wouldn't fix the battery as the replacement iPhone only had 3 month warranty. Had to get one of eBay and do it myself. Taking the screen of is a pain. Haven't bought a iPhone since then.

Changed mine 6 months ago by purchasing the battery myself at ifixit and did the work myself. Piece of cake. $30 and about 20 minutes of downtime.
    Hmm...

Quote Originally Posted by buggsy2 View Post
    That was the quandary I found myself in when opting for this battery replacement program; I had to lose my 7.1.3 Jailbreak.

Bought a battery for about 8 bucks on newegg and replaced it in about 30 minutes. Lasts a day and a half now. Would not do again though.

Quote Originally Posted by buggsy2 View Post
    No because you need to restore the device to factory settings before they'll attempt the repair.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Anthony Bouchard For This Useful Post:

vXBaKeRXv (2015-03-08)

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony Bouchard View Post
    No because you need to restore the device to factory settings before they'll attempt the repair.
    Wait, what? Why on earth would they need to touch the software side at all in order to change the battery? Isn't this a bit like having someone completely clear their car's radio presets in their car when bringing it in to get a tire fixed? Both scenarios seem to be equally devoid of any logic. I'd really like to know why they would require this.