Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Waze App to be Updated to Receive AMBER Alerts

What's Jailbreak? Akshay Masand's Avatar
    Thanks

Default Waze App to be Updated to Receive AMBER Alerts

Free navigation and traffic app Waze is said to be getting AMBER (America's Missing: Broadcasting Emergency Response) alerts in the U.S. For those who donít already know, AMBER alerts are used to help find kidnapped and missing children. Your mobile device will go off when an alert is sent out, but typically in your local area only. AMBER alerts were created by law enforcement agencies as a source of notifying local residents to be on the lookout for missing children.

According to Waze, every ten minutes the app will look for new alerts. If you dismiss the alert however, you wonít see it again for the upcoming week. You will be able to see what the child looks like, a description of the child, his/her name and age, what they were last wearing, where they were last spotted, and any vehicle information suspected to have been involved in the abducting.

The update to Waze will be released sometime soon, but in the U.S. only. It seems like more and more companies are including this in their app as Facebook added it as well in the beginning of the year.

Source: Cnet

Twitter: @AkshayMasand

My iPhone is a Part of Me buggsy2's Avatar
    Thanks

NNNNNOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!
    Those are idiotic. Hundreds, even thousands of miles from the incident. Sure hope Waze provides a way to turn them off.

Livin' the SPIDEY Life SpiderManAPV's Avatar
    Thanks

Apple itself offers a way to get AMBER alerts. Don't they think if you wanted them you'd use the native function?

......beware......
    Just your friendly neighborhood Spider-Man!

iPhone? More like MyPhone evolution83's Avatar
    Thanks

I think having this on our phone by default is enough. I just hope their app includes a way to turn them off, and support for larger phone resolutions. I'm tired of having that app zoomed in to twice its size.

I am shocked that the first three comments are against this. I think it is brilliant and I think they should be praised for it.

Livin' the SPIDEY Life SpiderManAPV's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by etmakesmovies View Post
    I am shocked that the first three comments are against this. I think it is brilliant and I think they should be praised for it.
    I'm not against it so much as confused by it. What's the point? If my phone already alerts me of AMBER alerts, why an app that once again alerts me?

......beware......
    Just your friendly neighborhood Spider-Man!

Thanks

Yeah, sounds a bit insensitive to hate on this feature. If you lost a loved one you would want the world to know.

Livin the iPhone Life vinaygoel2000's Avatar
    Thanks

I'm not sure why the bashing against the first 3 comments. It makes sense to me as to why do I need to be alerted twice (by Apple and Waze) for the same incident that is happening a thousand miles away from me. Yea the person who lost a loved one wants me to know but me not being able to help that person who is a thousand miles away from me will make them mad further more.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to vinaygoel2000 For This Useful Post:

buggsy2 (2015-03-06)

My iPhone is a Part of Me buggsy2's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by etmakesmovies View Post
    Because it's an issue of crying wolf too many times. I turned off Apple's alerts when they alerted to something many hundreds of miles away. Furthermore I was was sitting on my sofa and had not the slightest chance of seeing anything (the Waze alert makes more sense in that case).

It's counterproductive to alert everyone about something they literally have a 1 in 50 million chance of doing something about.