Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Samsung Unveils the Galaxy S6 and S6 Edge, Highlights Samsung Pay and Find My Mobile

What's Jailbreak? Akshay Masand's Avatar
    Thanks

Default Samsung Unveils the Galaxy S6 and S6 Edge, Highlights Samsung Pay and Find My Mobile

Samsung kicked off the Mobile World Congress event this past weekend with two highly anticipated next-gen handsets, the Galaxy S6 and Galaxy S6 Edge, both of which tout premium glass and metal in an effort to counter the successful of Apple’s iPhone 6. As many of you probably already know, Samsung was previously known for using cheaper materials such as plastic in its flagship handsets – a move which gave the devices a less “premium” feel than Apple’s iPhone lineup. This is all set to change when Samsung releases the Galaxy S6 and S6 Edge which the South Korean manufacturer claims have been “entirely redefined” from their predecessors.

The Galaxy S6 Edge is unique with its curved display wrapping around both sides of the device. Furthermore, both devices come standard with Corning’s Gorilla Glass 4 to protect their 5.1-inch Super AMOLED displays and come in a range of colors including White Pearl, Black Sapphire, Gold Platinum, Blue Topaz (S6 only) and Green Emerald (Edge only). The phones also sport a 16-megapixel rear camera and a 5-megapixel front camera along with wireless charging compatibility with any pad that supports WPC and PMA standards.

Just to keep up with Apple’s iPhone offerings, Samsung also responded to Apple Pay with its own “Samsung Pay,” which is set to debut on the Galaxy S6 and the Galaxy S6 Edge in the US in the second half of the year. Samsung Pay will use both Near Field Communication and Magnetic Secure Transmission, coupled with protection from Samsung KNOX, fingerprint security and advanced tokenization as well. For those of you who might be wondering about the magnetic element of Samsung Pay, it was all made possible thanks to the company’s acquisition of LoopPay (ring a bell?), whose technology mimics the functionality of a normal credit card swipe.

As of right now, Samsung claims that Samsung Pay will have the potential of being accepted at roughly 30 million merchant locations around the world, stating that it the only payment solution with “near universal acceptance.” The fingerprint scanning on the new devices has also reportedly improved with an “enhanced touch-type fingerprint scanner,” according to the company. Features such as Apple’s Find My iPhone have also been countered with Samsung’s release of a service named “Find My Mobile.”

For those of you who are interested in checking out or potentially purchasing the Samsung Galaxy S6 or Galaxy S6 Edge will be able to do so starting April 10 in the same 32, 64 or 128 gigabyte capacities.

How do you feel about Samsung’s recently announced handsets? Share your thoughts below!

Source: Samsung

Twitter: @AkshayMasand

Both models look a whole lot like an iPhone. However, the S6 Edge is one sexy phone (this is coming from someone who'd rather eat poisoned shards of glass teaming with ebola before using any Android device, particularly a Samsung one).

3. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Al226 For This Useful Post:

Jokadaking (2015-03-04), jsuddu0109 (2015-03-07), Silverado1987 (2015-03-03), studderman (2015-03-03)

Samsung wasn't even subtle. Not even in how they named there new features. Wow!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Al226 View Post
    Both models look a whole lot like an iPhone. However, the S6 Edge is one sexy phone (this is coming from someone who'd rather eat poisoned shards of glass teaming with ebola before using any Android device, particularly a Samsung one).
    If you rather eat glass then get a galaxy s phones then you're the exact representation of most Isheeps.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to barondebxl For This Useful Post:

buggsy2 (2015-03-03)

Well android users have the iPhone now

8. The Following User Says Thank You to buttamix For This Useful Post:

Jokadaking (2015-03-04)

Quote Originally Posted by barondebxl View Post
    If you rather eat glass then get a galaxy s phones then you're the exact representation of most Isheeps.
    You must have misunderstood his reply. I'm not an android guy I don't like the OS but the S6 looks good.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Silverado1987 For This Useful Post:

Jokadaking (2015-03-04)

It's clearly a copy of the iPhone. Goes to a metal chassis AND loses the replaceable battery AND Micro sd card.

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sheltons.iphone For This Useful Post:

Jokadaking (2015-03-04), Silverado1987 (2015-03-03)

Quote Originally Posted by barondebxl View Post
    I forgot to mention that I hate iOS with a passion (unless it's jailbroken, then it's the best OS there is hands down, though I must admit the pricks at Apple could've put 2GB of RAM in it, or at least 1.5). And yes, I HATE Android, but will be forced to use it ONLY if jailbreaking iOS is no longer an option. And yes, the S6 Edge is one damn sexy phone, whether it looks like an iPhone or not (which it does).

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Al226 For This Useful Post:

Atif Masood (2015-03-03), Jokadaking (2015-03-04)

A little late but my faith is restored.Go Modmyi.Btw the galaxy S6 looks like the Iphone big downer, but time will tell what the S6 has to bring to the table. At the time we know what it wont bring. A removable battery, sd card, or water proofing. More beautiful design (inspired by Iphone, Htc one) the edge is their own. Wireless charging, better quality camera.Better screen resolution.I am disappointed, but i wont judge until i have it in my hands.

i know this for the fact that i used to have the Note 2, S4, and Note 3 they all suck. Battery life was sucking badly because i tried to Uninstalled unnecessary apps and disabled most of it and it was still suck. it's like a mini computer where everything is constantly running. another thing is they started to act up in couple months use. it froze, restarted by itself, and battery keep draining faster than before. oh, when tried to play games, it lagged out like crazy. GPU is too weak.

so basically samsung removed their two most important features....replaceable battery and micro sd card slot. Great going Samsung.....great going!!! :rollseyes:

18. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to swifty7 For This Useful Post:

buggsy2 (2015-03-03), cpotoso (2015-03-03), Jokadaking (2015-03-04), sheltons.iphone (2015-03-04), Silverado1987 (2015-03-03)

iPhone? More like MyPhone jackbauerctu's Avatar
    Thanks

Samsung pay?? Really??? Find my mobile??? REALLY???? Hey guys, who wants an iPhone with an android OS?? Get the iSamsung GS6!

20. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to jackbauerctu For This Useful Post:

Gcruz (2015-03-03), Jokadaking (2015-03-04), jsuddu0109 (2015-03-07), Silverado1987 (2015-03-03)

I gotta admit I like that. I’m bored with iOS now but like the clean lines of my 5S. (The 6 and 6+ are uglier than the devil). There is at this point only two things preventing me moving to Android.
    1. TouchID.
    2. Apps. I need an app on the phone and a sister app on the Mac. (Calendar, contacts and Music). This so that I could for example still sync my iPhone with my Mac but by using Samsung Calendar as a fullsize desktop app and SCalendar as an Android app.

They don’t exist of course, (I think), but you get the idea.

My iPhone is a Part of Me AKCHRIS's Avatar
    Thanks

LOL!!! It's a Never ending Circle, of iOS users hating Droid users and Droid Users hating iOS users. I have to admit that the 6 looks like My iPhone6 & the edge looks cool, but I don't like it myself, cause the case would be a bit difficult to use the edge part, don't get me wrong i <3 this fight between Apple & Samsung because I ultimately Win. The Find My Mobile is the same as Apples Find My iPhone & Samsung Pay is Apple Pay for Apple although i think Apple Pay is more secure, BUT...like I said...they battle I win.

Thanks

So what "new" features does it actually have?? So far I am unimpressed.

Quote Originally Posted by Ambi_Valence View Post
    I gotta admit I like that. I’m bored with iOS now but like the clean lines of my 5S. (The 6 and 6+ are uglier than the devil). There is at this point only two things preventing me moving to Android.
    1. TouchID.
    2. Apps. I need an app on the phone and a sister app on the Mac. (Calendar, contacts and Music). This so that I could for example still sync my iPhone with my Mac but by using Samsung Calendar as a fullsize desktop app and SCalendar as an Android app.

They don’t exist of course, (I think), but you get the idea.
    Actually if you use Google Mac OS X calendar and email apps can sync your data (even contacts).

Still don’t see any real benefit of the Edge display and seems more gimmicky while being more prone to screen breaking and limiting the effectiveness of cases. Kind reminds me of the triangle tablet from “The Office”.

As for Samsung Pay, being able to say “30 million retailers” is a great way to trick people into believing they’ll be able to use Apple Pay-like features everywhere, but they’ll be sorely disappointed to find out that all those retailers are only accessible if they use the ancient magnetic strip version that will require some kind of device accessory (likely at an additional cost) while being more cumbersome and just as insecure as their current credit cards! I think Samsung bought LoopPay just to be able to legally say “30 million retailers” and intentionally trick people.

All the people saying that it looks just like iPhone 6: no it doesn’t. Not at all. Just because they both now have metal body doesn’t mean they look anything alike. You can see the difference from 50 feet away. Stop being fanboys.

It will be interesting to hear the Samsung fanboys backtrack from all their statements that plastic was better all along. Also, can't wait for the bending videos!
    Last edited by fleurya; 2015-03-03 at 04:27 PM.

26. The Following User Says Thank You to fleurya For This Useful Post:

Zokunei (2015-03-03)

Quote Originally Posted by Al226 View Post
    I forgot to mention that I hate iOS with a passion (unless it's jailbroken, then it's the best OS there is hands down, though I must admit the pricks at Apple could've put 2GB of RAM in it, or at least 1.5). And yes, I HATE Android, but will be forced to use it ONLY if jailbreaking iOS is no longer an option. And yes, the S6 Edge is one damn sexy phone, whether it looks like an iPhone or not (which it does).
    The way Android and Apple's handle RAM happen in 2 entirely different ways. A lot of people have the same assumption about RAM on the iPhone. In short, Android need so much RAM Because all the bloatware installed on Android and since all your tasks continually run in the back round. For this reason you might need 2 GBs of RAM. Since iOS suspends Apps that are not used in multitasks operations, it requires less RAM.

Do a web search to see how iOS efficiency in RAM usage.

Quote Originally Posted by bigboyz View Post
    So what "new" features does it actually have?? So far I am unimpressed.
    It's a iPhone for Android users so the don't jump ship. I guess Samsung's idea of reimagining the Galaxy, Comes as a iPhone Clone.... More or less.

Green Apple
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by AKCHRIS View Post
    LOL!!! It's a Never ending Circle, of iOS users hating Droid users and Droid Users hating iOS users. I have to admit that the 6 looks like My iPhone6 & the edge looks cool, but I don't like it myself, cause the case would be a bit difficult to use the edge part, don't get me wrong i <3 this fight between Apple & Samsung because I ultimately Win. The Find My Mobile is the same as Apples Find My iPhone & Samsung Pay is Apple Pay for Apple although i think Apple Pay is more secure, BUT...like I said...they battle I win.
    Ithink you better reconsider the idea that S6 looks like iPhone 6: http://www.digicorp.ro/wp-content/up...e_Front_51.jpgAtiv S was presented on 2012 not in 2014.
    Last edited by thunderica; 2015-03-03 at 06:10 PM.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast