Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Long Island Man Reportedly Sustains Second & Third-degree Burns From Exploding iPhone

Default Long Island Man Reportedly Sustains Second & Third-degree Burns From Exploding iPhone

A man in Long Island by the name of Erik Johnson has reportedly suffered second and even third-degree burns on his upper leg/inner thigh area after one of Apple's colorful plastic-backed iPhone 5c handsets exploded in his pocket.

ABC 7 News notes that the man needed to be hospitalized for about a week after the event happened to him on Valentine's Day in order to treat the burns that were caused from the miniature explosion.

Johnson explains the vivid details behind the event to local reporters:

Quote Originally Posted by Erik Johnson
    I had the phone in my pocket, simple little gesture, bent over to get keys and all I heard was pop. Sssssh smoke coming out, and just like an instant burn, my leg just starts going on fire, try to get it out, can't get it out. I was literally jumping up and down trying to get the phone out of my pocket, but I think the phone melted my pockets shut so I couldn't get into it and I had to rip my pants off and throw the pants to the side. A couple of people actually said they could smell my body burning.
    The reasoning behind the explosion has reportedly been linked to the lithium ion battery inside. While rare, there have been other incidents similar to this one that have caused smartphones to spontaneously explode. Lithium ion batteries are extremely stable power sources and out of the millions of smartphones sold on a yearly basis, we report on maybe one or two cases of this happening each year.

The heat from the explosion is said to have damaged the iPhone beyond use, as well as scar the man's leg. Johnson, after feeling the pains of these burns, now only hopes for his leg to heal back up again and will probably be more careful in where he stores his smartphones in the future.

Sources: ABC 7

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Anthony Bouchard For This Useful Post:

vXBaKeRXv (2015-03-01)

He was probably using a cheaply made charger to charge it.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Jahooba For This Useful Post:

Sage I (2015-03-03)

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Jahooba View Post
    Or just a cheaply made phone. 5c is plastic after all

And now what? Apple will give him $100 000 not to sue them? Maybe this was his best Valentine's day

Mmm, not according to the original report, "But in this case, Johnson says he used an Apple cable for his iPhone. Mike Della is his lawyer."

So he didn't feel it getting hot beforehand? It just doesn't go from cold to exploding. After it heats up it may explode. I don't buy the story. 2 weeks for it to come out?

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sheltons.iphone For This Useful Post:

Sage I (2015-03-03), TDH Advocate (2015-03-01)

Quote Originally Posted by sheltons.iphone View Post
    So he didn't feel it getting hot beforehand? It just doesn't go from cold to exploding. After it heats up it may explode. I don't buy the story. 2 weeks for it to come out?
    Sometimes you think nothing of it. My iPhone gets hot simply when I have low signal and it's trying really hard to find one. Sometimes your pants are so thick that you don't notice until it's too late.

When a lithium ion battery gets too hot, you eventually have battery lava spewing out and burning your skin. That lava-hot acid is nothing fun to the human skin's outer layers.

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Anthony Bouchard For This Useful Post:

buggsy2 (2015-03-01), vXBaKeRXv (2015-03-01)

"ABC 7 News notes that the man needed to be hospitalized for about a week after the event happened to him on Valentine's Day in order to treat the burns that were caused from the miniature explosion."

Here's why our healthcare is so damn expensive! This guy sat in a hospital for a WEEK for a stupid burn! That's is crap!

Back in 2000 I was in a major car accident where I multiple lacerations and broke my arm, leg, and pelvis (which renders you completely immobile) and the only reason I stayed in the hospital for more than 3 days following the surgery is because I had a very irregular heartbeat they wanted to monitor for a few more days before releasing me because there was a chance I could go into cardiac arrest..

Back when I was a kid in the 90's an aerosol can literally blew up in my face from a fire burning trash and I had second degree burns on my face and upper body. I never once stepped inside a hospital, let alone stayed a WEEK!

If we want healthcare costs t go down, it's not about anything but getting overpaid doctors and hospitals to stop padding their bills and ordering crap people don't need!

/rant
    Last edited by fleurya; 2015-03-01 at 01:53 PM.

13. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to fleurya For This Useful Post:

Sage I (2015-03-03), TDH Advocate (2015-03-01), wolfer_r (2015-03-01)

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony Bouchard View Post
    Mmm, not according to the original report, "But in this case, Johnson says he used an Apple cable for his iPhone. Mike Della is his lawyer."
    I bet he's lying. He's a lawyer. His motivation is not the truth, but the money.

The only way your battery is going to explode is if you abuse it over and over and over again. Batteries are a very stable technology.
    Last edited by Jahooba; 2015-03-01 at 03:04 PM.

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jahooba For This Useful Post:

Sage I (2015-03-03), TDH Advocate (2015-03-01)

Quote Originally Posted by fleurya View Post
    "ABC 7 News notes that the man needed to be hospitalized for about a week after the event happened to him on Valentine's Day in order to treat the burns that were caused from the miniature explosion."

Here's why our healthcare is so damn expensive! This guy sat in a hospital for a WEEK for a stupid burn! That's is crap!

Back in 2000 I was in a major car accident where I multiple lacerations and broke my arm, leg, and pelvis (which renders you completely immobile) and the only reason I stayed in the hospital for more than 3 days following the surgery is because I had a very irregular heartbeat they wanted to monitor for a few more days before releasing me because there was a chance I could go into cardiac arrest..

Back when I was a kid in the 90's an aerosol can literally blew up in my face from a fire burning trash and I had second degree burns on my face and upper body. I never once stepped inside a hospital, let alone stayed a WEEK!

If we want healthcare costs t go down, it's not about anything but getting overpaid doctors and hospitals to stop padding their bills and ordering crap people don't need!

/rant
    Agreed with your comment

While it was in his pocket?

Whatever the facts may be, I hope this dude recovers quickly. No one should have to experience this. I also wonder what he'll choose as his next phone.

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Default Long Island Man Reportedly Sustains Second & Third-degree Burns From Explodin...
    Quote Originally Posted by dubwise View Post
    While it was in his pocket?
    As in he did multiple times and after having done so again he put it in his pocket and it just finally gave out.

20. The Following User Says Thank You to TDH Advocate For This Useful Post:

sheltons.iphone (2015-03-01)

I really love how some people are "experts" and speculate on people's motives. I had an iPhone 3G got hot and started smoking within a few seconds of it heating up. It was in my hand and I threw it on the ground and took an fire extinguisher to it. Took it to Apple and they replaced. They had speculated I had gotten it wet, which was not the case. After that, I learned all I could about lithium batteries. It could have been a number of reasons why it did what it did. Numerous recharging cycles (heat) may have compromised the casing. It may have had a contaminant inside the battery when it was manufactured. Malfunctioning circuitry over time. Any body remember when the FAA grounded the whole 787 fleet due to the lithium batteries getting hot and cascading into a meltdown? Boeing predicted that it would take 10 million flight hours for this type of failure, not 52,000 hours when it did. As for the hospital for a week, 2nd & 3rd degree burns are nothing to mess around with. Especially on a part of you body that is constantly moving. A lot of muscle in that part of the body.

22. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to echoes49 For This Useful Post:

buggsy2 (2015-03-01), saleen_GT (2015-03-01)

My iPhone is a Part of Me buggsy2's Avatar
    Thanks

Here's why our healthcare is so damn expensive! This guy sat in a hospital for a WEEK for a stupid burn! That's is crap!/rant
    With your obvious insight into medicine and economics perhaps you should turn to solving world peace and interstellar travel.

24. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to buggsy2 For This Useful Post:

justinpotter81 (2015-03-01), SpiderManAPV (2015-03-01)

Quote Originally Posted by echoes49 View Post
    I really love how some people are "experts" and speculate on people's motives. I had an iPhone 3G got hot and started smoking within a few seconds of it heating up. It was in my hand and I threw it on the ground and took an fire extinguisher to it. Took it to Apple and they replaced. They had speculated I had gotten it wet, which was not the case. After that, I learned all I could about lithium batteries. It could have been a number of reasons why it did what it did. Numerous recharging cycles (heat) may have compromised the casing. It may have had a contaminant inside the battery when it was manufactured. Malfunctioning circuitry over time. Any body remember when the FAA grounded the whole 787 fleet due to the lithium batteries getting hot and cascading into a meltdown? Boeing predicted that it would take 10 million flight hours for this type of failure, not 52,000 hours when it did. As for the hospital for a week, 2nd & 3rd degree burns are nothing to mess around with. Especially on a part of you body that is constantly moving. A lot of muscle in that part of the body.
    If I was apple I wouldn't have warrantied it since you damaged/got it wet with a fire extinguisher. The only reason the 787 batteries had an issue was because they were set up to be charged faster than designed....that's why a battery heats up when charging, and when being extensively used....it's the power up and power down cycles where the problem can happen with batteries.

quote name="fleurya" post=7233297]

Here's why our healthcare is so damn expensive! This guy sat in a hospital for a WEEK for a stupid burn! That's is crap!/rant

Quote Originally Posted by buggsy2 View Post
    With your obvious insight into medicine and economics perhaps you should turn to solving world peace and interstellar travel.

He's been more accurate than you with your posts in this thread. Healthcare providers have gone way conservative with treatments and hospital stays for fear of being sued. So it costs us more so they don't have or need to have a ton of malpractice insurance.

"And when I had to drive to the hospital, it was uphill both ways! ARGGGHHH!"

/rant

Lol while in his pants? OMG! No its the battery. Probably not the phone.

Jeez people

29. The Following User Says Thank You to WHUDS For This Useful Post:

buggsy2 (2015-03-02)

My iPhone is a Part of Me buggsy2's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by sheltons.iphone View Post
    quote name="fleurya" post=7233297]

He's been more accurate than you with your posts in this thread. Healthcare providers have gone way conservative with treatments and hospital stays for fear of being sued. So it costs us more so they don't have or need to have a ton of malpractice insurance.
    When he solves world peace and interstellar travel I hope his solutions are informed by his boyhood schoolyard fights and the balsa wood wind up planes he made, just as his medical expertise came from his childhood experience.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast