Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Producers of Modern Family Explain How the Episode Was Shot Using Apple's iPhone

What's Jailbreak? Akshay Masand's Avatar
    Thanks

Default Producers of Modern Family Explain How the Episode Was Shot Using Apple's iPhone

It was announced last week that popular ABC sitcom Modern Family would have an upcoming episode where Apple’s iOS device (iPhone) was the only thing used to film the episode. Then the actual episode would play through a MacBook screen. The producers from the show actually spoke with Buzzfeed about the whole ordeal and we get a glimpse of how the whole thing was shot.

Steve Levitan, the co-creator and executive producer of the sitcom, made a video of how they used the iPhone to shoot the whole episode. He noted that in order for it to come off as the actors holding their own devices, they had a cameraman manage the device. But to make it so that it didn’t look like the phone was floating in the midair, the actors would have to keep one hand on the cameraman throughout the entire shoot.

Levitan also mentioned that this wasn’t the first time they used the iPhone for something during an episode shooting. He said that there were times previously when they snuck in multiple shots with the iPhone and nobody ever knew. We guess the iPhone quality really is that good if no one was able to tell whether the producer used an extremely expensive camera or just the iPhone for parts of an episode.

This episode of Modern Family will take place on Wednesday, February 25th at 9pm. Take a look at the behind-the-scenes footage by clicking the source link below.

Source: Buzzfeed

Twitter: @AkshayMasand

Livin' the SPIDEY Life SpiderManAPV's Avatar
    Thanks

I'm all for publicity and stuff, but this is such a gimmick. I've mocked Samsung in the past for things like this because it's stupid, and it's no less stupid because Apple's doing it.

......beware......
    Just your friendly neighborhood Spider-Man!

Quote Originally Posted by SpidermanAPV View Post
    I'm all for publicity and stuff, but this is such a gimmick. I've mocked Samsung in the past for things like this because it's stupid, and it's no less stupid because Apple's doing it.
    Sounds to me like the show producers are doing it not Apple. Last time I checked Apple didn't produce TV shows. I agree it's a who cares technique anyway. I've never watched the show before and I won't watch it because of this either.
    Hmm...

4. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to exNavy For This Useful Post:

aceestes (2015-02-25), buggsy2 (2015-02-26), Jokadaking (2015-02-25), novadam (2015-02-26), SpiderManAPV (2015-02-25)

Quote Originally Posted by exNavy View Post
    Sounds to me like the show producers are doing it not Apple. Last time I checked Apple didn't produce TV shows. I agree it's a who cares technique anyway. I've never watched the show before and I won't watch it because of this either.
    Great show and Sofía Vergara is such a Hottie!

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to tridley68 For This Useful Post:

Jokadaking (2015-02-25), novadam (2015-02-26)

Quote Originally Posted by tridley68 View Post
    Great show and Sofía Vergara is such a Hottie!
    Her voice is annoying

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Eonhpi For This Useful Post:

buggsy2 (2015-02-26), sheltons.iphone (2015-02-26), thazsar (2015-02-26)

Livin the iPhone Life oldskoolsk8r's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,970 Times in 725 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Eonhpi View Post
    Her voice is annoying
    Her voice is beyond sexy!

Default Producers of Modern Family Explain How the Episode Was Shot Using Apple's iPhone
    Her voice is annoying
    because in my fantasies, she and I are debating metaphysics

11. The Following User Says Thank You to novadam For This Useful Post:

docmagoo2 (2015-02-26)

Livin' the SPIDEY Life SpiderManAPV's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by exNavy View Post
    Makes sense I guess. As long as Apple isn't doing things like the Samsung Ellen selfie or whatever.

......beware......
    Just your friendly neighborhood Spider-Man!

It's a funny show, and this was just a rather unique way of shooting an episode. No need to overthink it, or pull out the "sponsorship" soapboxes.
    Reminding you all that YOU'RE YOUR

14. The Following User Says Thank You to ChicagoV For This Useful Post:

buggsy2 (2015-02-26)

My iPhone is a Part of Me buggsy2's Avatar
    Thanks

Her voice is annoying
    So who looks at her voice?

Quote Originally Posted by SpidermanAPV View Post

It's not for the publicity, way to miss the point. Just like House using the Mark II wasn't about publicity. Do they get publicity? Of course, but the point is the tech is good enough to do it allowing many people who can't afford full blown pro rigs to shoot acceptable footage.

Her voice is annoying
    Lol. She is hot until she speaks. Not related to the topic but I couldn't agree more.

Just watched this episode, loved it. Makes me want a MB now!