Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Toyota to Continue Using Its Own Infotainment System for the Foreseeable Future

What's Jailbreak? Akshay Masand's Avatar
    Thanks

Default Toyota to Continue Using Its Own Infotainment System for the Foreseeable Future

Despite being one of the first car manufacturers to sign on with Apple’s CarPlay initiative, Toyota is reportedly sticking to its own infotainment system for the foreseeable future. Toyota spokesperson, John Hanson, told The New York Times the following regarding the matter:

We may all eventually wind up [with CarPlay or Android Auto], but right now we prefer to use our in-house proprietary platforms for those kinds of functions.
    It should be noted that Hanson limited his comments to the US market and while Apple’s iPhone remains quite popular in Japan as well, it doesn’t seem likely that the stance will change in the Japanese market either. Ford, another early CarPlay partner ended up choosing the exact opposite approach by adding support for both CarPlay and Android Auto. The carmaker aims to make the updated infotainment options available in every Ford sold in the US by the end of the year. Ford executive Don Butler told the paper the following:

We don't want people to have to make a vehicle choice based on which mobile phone they have. We want to accommodate all customers and their devices.
    The folks over at Volkswagen, which is currently the largest automotive company in the world, seem to be taking the same road, announcing that CarPlay will be joining Android Auto and MirrorLink on its vehicles in late 2015 at this year’s Consumer Electronics Show. CarPlay has seen slower-than-expected adoption since its announcement early last year but has begun to pick up steam lately. Apple will be introducing support for wireless CarPlay in iOS 8.3 and General Motors is set to integrate CarPlay in its next-generation Volt hybrid.

We’ll have to see what the demand for CarPlay is like by waiting for more cars with the technology installed hit the market.

Source: The New York Times

Twitter: @AkshayMasand

My iPhone is a Part of Me buggsy2's Avatar
    Thanks

If Toyota refuses to install CarPlay it could change my decision in a couple of years as to which car to buy. I want a seamless integration with my iPhone, not a lame aftermarket device like I have now.

@buggsy2 I'm all for seamless integration, but I don't think such an in-car system should be in such proprietary hands, as that just limits who can use it. It shouldn't matter if one has an iPhone, Android, etc, as long as the device supports a required protocol, which could also be added via software if necessary.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to alanjf For This Useful Post:

sheltons.iphone (2015-02-26)

I like the Toyota system.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to novadam For This Useful Post:

sheltons.iphone (2015-02-26)