Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Apple Pay to Soon Have a Competitor as Samsung Acquires LoopPay

Quote Originally Posted by fleurya View Post
    ""This acquisition accelerates our vision to drive and lead innovation"

Ok, first off, how can you "lead innovation" buy simply whipping out a checkbook and buying the company that already did the innovation?? That's just BS talk.
    You mean exactly what Apple's been doing for years?

Quote Originally Posted by psxcancer View Post
    I find it funny how Samsung took the biggest hit on sales in 2014 (and 2015 looks to be the same or better for Apple). Samsung losing so much ground in China and they want to take on Apple in another unrelated area. You would think they would be trying to recover from 2014.

I remember the Sega and Nintendo wars. Sega was coming out with all kind of electronics way more than Nintendo, but in the long run Sega just wore them selves down and ultimately got out of the manufacturing business (who knows if they ran them selves out of money with all the products that people were not buying), ultimately they now focus on one thing. Making Game software.
    That's hardly a fair comparison. Sega's Master System couldn't compete with the NES, despite having superior hardware, mainly because Nintendo was tying the hands of so many of the good developers, not allowing them to release their games on other platforms for 5 years or so. The Genesis (aka, the Mega Drive) was huge hit, especially State side.

I will agree that they fcked up with the 32x and Saturn (lots of miscommunication between Sega of America and of Japan, among other things) and the Sega/Mega CD also left something to be desired though was still pretty cool for it's time (gotta love the opening music on the model 1 Sega CD.) The Dreamcast was a really good platform but like the Saturn before it, was hurt by bad timing and subpar marketing, and got over shadowed by the PlayStation 2 and GameCube and the introduction of the Xbox.
    Last edited by znbl; 2015-02-20 at 06:02 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by King_O_Hill View Post
    Yes, exactly!!!

Why do you have to be a Debbie downer.
    Even the great Steve Jobs said that for Apple to win, Microsoft donít have to lose. Same applies here. Give Samsung, (I donít, and never have owned a single Samsung branded item BTW), the same dues as you would Apple.

Quote Originally Posted by steve-z17 View Post
    According to the LoopPay site:

Four simple steps:

order a LoopPay device -
    Connect your LoopPay device,
    -When shopping, simply rest your LoopPay device against the credit card swipe slot where you usually swipe your credit card

MST technology generates changing magnetic fields over a very short period of time.
    So you have to have a separate device to use Loop Pay? Well that's basically one step back from Apple Pay, even Google Wallet, and will make it DOA! That sounds like a step between original credit cards and the NFC system we have today that nobody ever needed to take! Also, how do you use this in credit card slots like at gas pumps? Sounds like it won't work with those kind of machines.

If Samsung comes out with a proprietary version of Loop Pay that uses some kind of phone attachment or separate device, they will be a laughing stock of the tech world!

Quote Originally Posted by znbl View Post
    You mean exactly what Apple's been doing for years?
    You mistakenly assume that I think Apple is exempt from this. I never said any such thing and you are wrong. This is exactly what EVERYONE does! I never said Apple doesn't do it. Apple, Google, Samsung, all major companies do this. I'm saying that buying something and saying you're an innovator is BS, no mater what company does it.

Quote Originally Posted by fleurya View Post
    So you have to have a separate device to use Loop Pay? Well that's basically one step back from Apple Pay, even Google Wallet, and will make it DOA! That sounds like a step between original credit cards and the NFC system we have today that nobody ever needed to take! Also, how do you use this in credit card slots like at gas pumps? Sounds like it won't work with those kind of machines.

If Samsung comes out with a proprietary version of Loop Pay that uses some kind of phone attachment or separate device, they will be a laughing stock of the tech world!
    Apparently you have to charge to device after 200-300 payments/attempted payments...which makes it even worse!

Livin' the SPIDEY Life SpiderManAPV's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by steve-z17 View Post
    Apparently you have to charge to device after 200-300 payments/attempted payments...which makes it even worse!
    I wonder how often you have to charge it if you leave it in the "Always" position.

......beware......
    Just your friendly neighborhood Spider-Man!

Quote Originally Posted by SpidermanAPV View Post
    I wonder how often you have to charge it if you leave it in the "Always" position.
    Good question! They probably don't want to say...

Quote Originally Posted by Ambi_Valence View Post
    Even the great Steve Jobs said that for Apple to win, Microsoft donít have to lose. Same applies here. Give Samsung, (I donít, and never have owned a single Samsung branded item BTW), the same dues as you would Apple.
    I agree, but that doesn't mean that a good bashing isn't fun for all of us.

Check out WW3 for iOS 9/10 - Widget-Weather 3.0

Thanks
    Thanked 5,057 Times in 2,011 Posts

I really don't care if Samsung joins this market. Let it all play out and see what happens. I'm just looking forward to the day that anyone can pay w/ their devices at any location! Neither Apple or Google or Samsung have achieved that, yet!

I see this as a FAIL. In order to use this you need a fob or case with some external transmitter. It may be acceptable in 90%+ of credit card readers out there, but the bottom line is that this is still unencrypted. It's no different than using your physical credit cards. Your credit card information can still be stolen, and to top it off, they allow you to store a copy of your ID/Driver's License. Great, so now thieves have your credit card info AND your full name, DOB, address, and ID/DL number, etc..

Check out their setup video, it's like 5-6 minutes long.

NO THANKS!

Pay ftw!

11. The Following User Says Thank You to NSXrebel For This Useful Post:

Carvensno (2015-02-20)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12