Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: European Mobile Company EE to Invest £1.5 Billion in Bringing 4G to 99% of Population

What's Jailbreak? Akshay Masand's Avatar
    Thanks

Default European Mobile Company EE to Invest £1.5 Billion in Bringing 4G to 99% of Population

EE, a European mobile operator has announced recently that they will be investing £1.5 billion (which is equivalent to about $2.3 billion USD) in the next three years to improve cell phone networks. They noted that their goal is to provide more than 99% of the population 4G network. In about two years by 2017, EE also wants to release double-speed 4G to approximately 90% of the population.

According to their website, their plans are as follows:

• EE 4G footprint to overtake 2G by 2017, with £1.5bn investment over three years, delivering superfast 4G to more than 99% of the population
    • Double-speed 4G to reach 90% of the population, with highest capacity 4G+ in 20 of the busiest UK cities by 2017
    • Rural Investment programme targeting coverage enhancements for both voice and data services to 90% of the UK geography, and world-leading performance with 99.6% reliability
    • Investment in innovation and new technologies key to ambition to connect every home in the UK and minimise coverage ‘not spots’
    • Key stakeholder in multi-year programme ensuring UK will be leader in 5G mobile technology
    The European company was recently named the best carrier for rural phone call reliability and quality, as well as the best for 3G and 4G speed and coverage. They were also ranked as UK’s number one network. EE has plans on bringing voice and data service enhancements to 90% of UK in the next two years.

We can't help but wonder if any of the U.S. mobile carriers have plans on improving networks for their customers? What do you guys think? Share your thoughts with us in the comments below.

Source: EE

Twitter: @AkshayMasand

You stress that EE is a European network (in the UK it is what used to be Orange and T-Mobile combined) but that investment is in the UK only.

The UK is a lot smaller than the USA and with a much denser population (before anyone says it, I don't mean intelligence wise) so achieving 99% coverage is a lot easier here.

I'm also not sure of the speed of their so called 4G network. I believe 6Mb is considered 4G - I can get 18Mb on my T-Mobile '3G' service.
    He who asks a question looks foolish for 5 minutes. He who doesn't ask a question remains foolish forever.

With 99%of the population covered there will still be large areas not covered. Wonder if the plans will be scrapped when BT buy them out

Quote Originally Posted by confucious View Post
    You stress that EE is a European network (in the UK it is what used to be Orange and T-Mobile combined) but that investment is in the UK only.

The UK is a lot smaller than the USA and with a much denser population (before anyone says it, I don't mean intelligence wise) so achieving 99% coverage is a lot easier here.

I'm also not sure of the speed of their so called 4G network. I believe 6Mb is considered 4G - I can get 18Mb on my T-Mobile '3G' service.
    Standards in Europe are different than in the us. 4g speeds aren't necessarily considered the same I believe by definition.

They're making such a fuss about that because cellular coverage in the UK is patchy at best...I mean certain locations in central London for example have zero indoor coverage...including EE.
    Internet in general is a huge piece of crap in the UK also. I did manage to get 18Mbps on 3G on Vodafone which is the most overpriced network in the UK, but most other networks don't even go over 10Mbps on 3G...yet on LTE I did manage to get a speed of around 65Mbps on EE.

EE's advantage is that they took two networks and combined them and also they have the best LTE coverage because they were the only ones to get the license for 4G LTE before anyone else here.

Quote Originally Posted by torrent82 View Post
    They're making such a fuss about that because cellular coverage in the UK is patchy at best...I mean certain locations in central London for example have zero indoor coverage...including EE.
    Internet in general is a huge piece of crap in the UK also. I did manage to get 18Mbps on 3G on Vodafone which is the most overpriced network in the UK, but most other networks don't even go over 10Mbps on 3G...yet on LTE I did manage to get a speed of around 65Mbps on EE.

EE's advantage is that they took two networks and combined them and also they have the best LTE coverage because they were the only ones to get the license for 4G LTE before anyone else here.
    Vodafone 3G may be good but their london capacity is abysmal, dropped calls in the city etc. They do have HSDPA+ which allowed me to previously get download speeds of 800kb/s.

O2 on a good day in london can give you 3G speeds on 15mbps down and 4G can give you anything between 50+ mbps to ~6mbps (where I'm sitting now gives me speeds of 20mbps).

EE has this thing about 80mbps on 4G which is ok in theory and in central london seems to be more like 55mbps. Their network upgrades seem to have raised their 3G speeds too which used to be abysmal.

3 is apparently amazing with 3G speeds of 20mbps (aka "super charged" according to their ads) and uses EE's network.

This is what I can remember from memory :P