Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Apple Pay Comes to Starbucks App

What's Jailbreak? Michael Essany's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,491 Times in 577 Posts

Default Apple Pay Comes to Starbucks App

Coffee giant Starbucks has been nothing short of brilliant in mobilizing its expansive customer base. And for that reason, it comes as no surprise that Starbucks is an early adopter of mobile payments and, most recently, Apple Pay.

Just this week, Starbucks announced that its mobile app is getting Apple Pay, although published reports today confirm that it "will be a long time before the caffeine pusher adds support for Apple’s mobile payment app in store."

For now, the app's minor update allows iPhone users to upload payment info onto their Starbucks app (sort of like a pre-paid gift card) through Apple Pay. "Now you can use Apple Pay to quickly reload your Starbucks Card," the java juggernaut says. "Touch ID makes it faster than ever."

For the time being, however, there are no plans to deploy Apple Pay at checkout. Starbucks has worked long and hard to control the checkout process on mobile and forking over that responsibility to Apple with little to gain and much to lose from the action doesn't make for a good move at this time for Starbucks.

Source: VentureBeat

iPhone? More like MyPhone jackbauerctu's Avatar
    Thanks

You know what would be REALLY awesome? If we could use our Starbucks gift card as an apple pay card and use Touch ID to pay for our coffee at the point of sale with said gift card....that will probably never happen but would be badass.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to jackbauerctu For This Useful Post:

StaceyMJ86 (2015-02-12)

My iPhone is a Part of Me StaceyMJ86's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jackbauerctu View Post
    You know what would be REALLY awesome? If we could use our Starbucks gift card as an apple pay card and use Touch ID to pay for our coffee at the point of sale with said gift card....that will probably never happen but would be badass.
    One could only wish. I wish Starbucks would incorporate that.

Livin the iPhone Life vinaygoel2000's Avatar
    Thanks

I can already do that without touchid. Just add your gift card to passbook. Cashier scans the bar code and you are done. Nothing to sign, nothing to print.

I'm addicted to jailbreak luvmytj's Avatar
    Thanks

How would that be easier than holding your screen out to them as I do now? It seems to me it would be more difficult to try to touch the top of the phone to a NFC device and use the fingerprint scanner. I'll stick to my Starbucks app and save myself from picking up my fumbled phone from the pavement below the drive thru window.

iPhone? More like MyPhone jackbauerctu's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by luvmytj View Post
    How would that be easier than holding your screen out to them as I do now? It seems to me it would be more difficult to try to touch the top of the phone to a NFC device and use the fingerprint scanner. I'll stick to my Starbucks app and save myself from picking up my fumbled phone from the pavement below the drive thru window.
    It's not the same. Yes it's not that hard, you unlock the phone, you open up either the app or the card in passbook and you show them the screen and they scan it. But it's even EASIER to just touch your phone to the card swiper and touch your thumb to the Touch ID. If you are going through the drive-thru window, either one would require you to stick your phone out of the window. I haven't seen a single barista stick their scanner inside my window to scan my card.