Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Here Are Five iOS 8 Notification Center Widgets We're Using On Our Devices Right Now

Default Here Are Five iOS 8 Notification Center Widgets We're Using On Our Devices Right Now

With the release of iOS 8 in September of last year, Apple made it possible for third-party application developers to release Notification Center widgets in the App Store alongside third-party keyboards. Now that a sufficient amount of time has passed, a number of well-designed and functional widgets have made their way into the iOS App Store. We've tried a bunch of them, but only a few have actually landed on our devices and stayed there long enough for us to tell the tale about them.

In this post, we'll show you five of our favorites that we use on our test devices for bringing you content each day. In particular, I use many of these daily for my not only my own personal tasks, but also for work-based tasks and more. They may not be the best of the best, but this post's intent is to shed some light on some our personal favorites that we can honestly say we've gotten goo use out of, and maybe you can too!

Note: these are legitimate App Store Notification Center widgets, so therefore, please don't expect to see any jailbreak widgets in this post.

Without further ado, check them out:

1. Forecast+

Our all-time favorite has got to be Forecast+. This is a beautiful representation of the weather for the upcoming week laid out for you right in Notification Center for iOS 8. We also really like the Yahoo Weather widget, but Forecast+ looks a lot better because it blends in better with the interface of Notification Center thanks to its coloring and transparency. It gives you a five-day forecast, along with what it's like outside, the high and the low, the humidity level, and even the rain chances. Small graphics indicate what it will be like outside. You can configure the location to be set to a location of your choice, or you can let it grab your location automatically, and you can even set how often you want to let the widget check the weather so that you have control over the battery impact.

I use this widget daily to check the weather before I do anything outdoors. It's generally accurate. I do, of course, open Yahoo! Weather to confirm the weather all the time because the Yahoo! Weather application has much more detailed information, such as wind direction and speed, and even a radar representation. But for an overview, this widget is hard to beat. Check it out!

Forecast++ is 99 in the iOS App Store and requires iOS 8 to be installed. You can download it from this App Store link.

2. Usage Widget

Another one that we really enjoy is Usage Widget. This is a Notification Center widget that keeps you in the loop with information regarding what your device is doing. You will get a real time interface of your memory usage, storage usage, battery information, network speed and data information, CPU time, cellular data usage, and much more. You can hide and show the various things that you want to actually see and not see so that you have a customized widget experience. It also has a very professional look and feel in Notification Center and feels like it just fits there nicely.

I really only ever use this widget for the storage aspect so that I can see my applications' impact on my device's 16GB of storage without having to go through the seemingly endless Settings application maze, but I also like seeing the network usage because sometimes I have networking problems at home, whether it's a slow connection or something else. The other options are likely to shine to you too depending on how you use your device, such as the cellular data consumption option, which could help those of you with capped data plans to stick within your caps.

Usage Widget is FREE in the iOS App Store and requires iOS 8 to be installed. You can download it from this App Store link.

3. Parcel

Parcel is an application that can keep track of all of your incoming and outgoing tracking numbers from various shipping services, such as USPS, UPS, FedEx, DHL, and many others. It includes a Notification Center widget that can help you keep track of deliveries that are nearing delivery, and it will shoot a push notification through to your device whenever things are delivered to your door.

I use this widget almost on a daily basis for when I'm ordering parts for my Jeep or cases to try out for my iPhone 6 Plus. I always like to know when things are going to arrive at my door because I worry about theft or damage, and Parcel has a great system for ensuring that I'm always informed of where my packages are. Whether it says that I have a delivery expected on the current day, or even if it says a delivery is expected tomorrow, it helps keep me alert and keeps the peace of mind. I would definitely recommend it if you do a lot of shipping.

Parcel is FREE in the iOS App Store and requires iOS 7 to be installed (iOS 8 is required to use the Notification Center widget). You can download it from this App Store link.

4. CheatSheet

We also really enjoy using CheatSheet. This is a really quick way to jot down important information so that it's easily accessible in a cinch. For example, if you need to jot down a license plate number, reference number, hotel room number, locker number, or some other kind of non-sensitive personal information so that you can quickly get back to it, then this is a great way to do that. The widget can display up to 10 items at once on the iPhone (16 on the iPad) and you can easily remove them. This is a great alternative to the Notes application because Notification Center is easy to get to (even on the Lock Screen) and it makes a better temporary note solution while looking clean and professional. When you tap on the "+" button, you can choose what the note will say and you assign your own logo to it.

I personally enjoy using this widget for jotting down little tidbits of information. I've used it to remind me what to get at the auto parts store, to remember addresses, and even to take note of prices of stuff at the store that I can compare at other stores later on. It can come in handy in so many different situations in all kinds of specific niches, so this is definitely something you'll want to check out.

CheatSheet is FREE in the iOS App Store and requires iOS 8 to be installed. You can download it from this App Store link.

5. Yahoo

The last Notification Center widget that we're going to recommend in this post is the one packed into the Yahoo application for iOS. This widget keeps you in the loop of the latest trends and stories and can be not only informative, but can help you learn new things every day. The various trends and stories that appear are updated at different times of each day and can keep you loaded up with new information on a daily basis. It's just something cool to check out when you're bored and have nothing better to do and Yahoo did a nice job making the widget look great for Notification Center.

I personally like checking out the stories that appear here when I see a title that grabs my attention. Admittedly, not every little thing that appears is going to tickle my interest, but sometimes I see something that I want to read more into. I use it on a regular basis, but probably not on a daily basis. I would recommend it to someone that needs something to do on their lunch break or likes to expand their knowledge.

Yahoo is FREE in the iOS App Store and requires iOS 8 to be installed. You can download it from this App Store link.

These are the widgets we're using on our main devices and love, and we're sure there are many other hidden gems out there that have yet to be discovered. Feel free to share your opinion on any of the above or even add to the list with cool ones that you've discovered in the comments!

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Anthony Bouchard For This Useful Post:

buggsy2 (2015-02-10), hopethemodworx (2015-02-11)

Thescore app allows you to add sports news feeds and scores.

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

This is really cool. I'd like to see more widget based posts in the future! Had to download the usage widget and will be doing the same for forecast+ if I ever get another iTunes card because it looks amazing.

Thanks
    Thanked 5,057 Times in 2,011 Posts

Default Here Are Five iOS 8 Notification Center Widgets We're Using On Our Devices Ri...
    I wish NC was useful for me but sadly it's not. Aside from checking it for weather occasionally, it serves no purpose
    Last edited by thazsar; 2015-02-11 at 12:21 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by thazsar View Post
    I wish NC was useful for me but sadly it's not. Aside from checking it for weather occasionally, it serves no purpose
    There are a number of widgets out that can make it useful. For instance, the myverizon widget tracks data usage accurately. How is that not useful unless you have unlimited data? Sports widgets, weather, GPS, and calendar widgets are also very useful.

I think this is great. I wish ModMyi would do a weekly or monthly review of Widgets. I downloaded three of these and it's kinda difficult to discover them if one doesn't have those particular apps. Thanks for the info.

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mulezsti For This Useful Post:

cpho (2015-02-12), hopethemodworx (2015-02-11)

Quote Originally Posted by mulezsti View Post
    I think this is great. I wish ModMyi would do a weekly or monthly review of Widgets. I downloaded three of these and it's kinda difficult to discover them if one doesn't have those particular apps. Thanks for the info.
    I agree with you that they are incredibly difficult to discover. Apple has a very terrible application discovery system in place in the App Store.

I don't even know if enough are released on a weekly or monthly basis to do a monthly review process here, but a part two might be in order .

10. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Anthony Bouchard For This Useful Post:

ipanadol (2015-02-11), jsuddu0109 (2015-02-13), oldskoolsk8r (2015-02-11), rylen1031 (2015-02-12)

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony Bouchard View Post
    I agree with you that they are incredibly difficult to discover. Apple has a very terrible application discovery system in place in the App Store.

I don't even know if enough are released on a weekly or monthly basis to do a monthly review process here, but a part two might be in order .
    Agreed. I'll be looking forward to it.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to mulezsti For This Useful Post:

rylen1031 (2015-02-12)

Another good widget is Data Widget. You can keep track of your data usage during the month with real time monitoring. It works well even if you have to reboot your device. Even though it may not be 100% accurate (95% accurate so far) compared to AT&T data usage texts. It is close enough for me. You can manually adjust the usage based on your actual carrier's stats and set a maximum usage amount to warn you. I have not noticed any battery drainage using Data Widget. I believe it is $0.99 and worth it. Check it out.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to mgmm1 For This Useful Post:

rylen1031 (2015-02-12)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Nuff Said View Post
    There are a number of widgets out that can make it useful. For instance, the myverizon widget tracks data usage accurately. How is that not useful unless you have unlimited data? Sports widgets, weather, GPS, and calendar widgets are also very useful.
    Sports - don't watch them
    Weather - only thing I use NC for
    GPS - 99% of the time I know where I am! LOL!
    Calendar - I use WeekCal, no widget for that

So, I'm still in that small category that finds little value in NC. Others benefit from its quick overview, just not me.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to thazsar For This Useful Post:

bbrks (2015-02-11)

I wish NC was useful for me but sadly it's not. Aside from checking it for weather occasionally, it serves no purpose for me.
    I put a little modification in your statement in bold to be a little more true. I find that Notification Center can be useful, but it just depends on the purpose. No reason to label Notification Center as completely useless just because it doesn't fit one person's needs when it fits the needs of many others ; same with jailbreak tweaks.

Sports - don't watch them
    Weather - only thing I use NC for
    GPS - 99% of the time I know where I am! LOL!
    Calendar - I use WeekCal, no widget for that

So, I'm still in that small category that finds little value in NC. Others benefit from its quick overview, just not me.
    So very true. I do not like sports myself!

Livin' the SPIDEY Life SpiderManAPV's Avatar
    Thanks

I do not like sports myself!
    Blasphemous traitor! /shun/

......beware......
    Just your friendly neighborhood Spider-Man!

19. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SpiderManAPV For This Useful Post:

jsuddu0109 (2015-02-13), novadam (2015-02-11)

i can't reach cheatsheet from lock screen when there is a passcode on my device it ask to unlock first ..
    any solution..

Thanks

Default Here Are Five iOS 8 Notification Center Widgets We're Using On Our Devices Ri...
    I put a little modification in your statement in bold to be a little more true. I find that Notification Center can be useful, but it just depends on the purpose. No reason to label Notification Center as completely useless just because it doesn't fit one person's needs when it fits the needs of many others ; same with jailbreak tweaks.

So very true. I do not like sports myself!
    That's why I purposely put that 'for me' it's useless or pointless. I know other people find a lot of value in NC and I wish I could but it's just not beneficial for myself.

Meh, I still don't see the helpfullness of widgets. All that info is really not needed all the time. In fact it has been proven that all this apparent information convenience can do more harm than good.

More and more people feel like they need to know the status of everything all the time. And cantlet a secon of idle time go by without disracting themselves. Many people literally can't let a few moments of idle time go by without looking at something on their phones, no matter how useless the thing is they are looking at. And in recent studies it has been shown that the kind of mental idle time we used to have actually can improve overall brain and memory function. It's your brain's time to defrag, clear the RAM, and store things away properly.

Try it sometime. When you're on an elevator, waiting for a bus, or waiting for something to heat up in the microwave. Try just standing there and do nothing but let your mind idle. I'll bet for the most part people will actually find difficult to do! they in have this visceral need to reach for their phone. then you'll realize what a slave to your electronics you have become!

23. The Following User Says Thank You to fleurya For This Useful Post:

ipanadol (2015-02-11)

Well I can understand everyone has their opinions, but since I share my data with 3 other people it is VERY convenient to see in a snapshot how much data we have used collectively in a month without logging into the app all the time. Soon as Apple make the Keychain available through apps and not just through safari it would be nice. However it is very convenient to just monitor that data. I for one enjoy seeing the current weather where I am at and 5 day out look in a widget and also since I travel with the military all over the world I don't have access to the channels that play my favorite sports teams. So it is really nice to see when my phone logs onto an Internet connection to see my scores quickly and keep moving.

But it's like Passbook. I can't believe how many times I don't see people using it. I think it's a great tool and I wish I could manually input all my rewards cards if that respective app doesn't have a Passbook card. But I don't care if no one uses it. If you don't think Notification Center is worth it, why did you even click on this thread and comment on how you feel? Like I said I find it VERY useful in my life and would like a review of widgets because for example not all weather widgets display the info I need.

I predominantly rely on ModMyI topics and the ensuing posts to discover new apps/tweaks/widgets. Thanks everyone.

Agree it's hard to discover useful apps and widgets in the App Store. Seems like they're all geared towards freemium games.

26. The Following User Says Thank You to cpho For This Useful Post:

Anthony Bouchard (2015-02-15)

Guys check out post #2 with some more widgets worth checking out!

Here Are Five More Awesome iOS 8 Notification Center Widgets You Can Get Today!

Well, I can't say that I am interested in those 5 but thanks for the follow up post!! Keep 'em coming! Keep 'em coming!! Anthony.