Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Twitter Execs Talk iOS 8 Problems

What's Jailbreak? Michael Essany's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,491 Times in 577 Posts

Default Twitter Execs Talk iOS 8 Problems

On Thursday, Twitter reported its Q4 2014 earnings and, in the process, Twitter's top execs took a jab at Apple when discussing the microblogging giant's user base.

Although Twitter's earnings were impressive, beating estimates, the company fell short of targets on user growth. (Twitter confirmed 288 million monthly active users as opposed to the projected 295 million). Twitter's response?

Apple's iO8 is at least partially to blame.

Twitter CFO Anthony Noto pointed his finger at Apple when discussing the shortfall. "We lost approximately 4 million net users due to rollouts of iOS 8," said Noto, dwelling on the September release of the latest operating system.

Noto's assertions, however, weren't immediately or warmly embraced by some. In fact, many knowledgeable social media users and investors alike were mystified by the comments. So what is Noto referring to? Business Insider attempted to get to the bottom of the underlying issue.

"In iOS 7, if you are logged into Twitter, the Shared Links section will automatically show you recent tweets from people on your connected Twitter accounts," BI reports. "iOS 8 got rid of that automatic polling, so tweets weren't immediately up to date. You can also follow RSS feeds in the Shared Links section, which may have reduced the prominence of Twitter links there. Twitter said that another 1 million people dropped out as they upgraded and could not get their passwords to work because of an encryption issue."

So... legitimate or lame excuse? You be the judge.

Source: BI

sounds like a lame excuse.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to NSXrebel For This Useful Post:

TDH Advocate (2015-02-07)

Lame. Just another greedy corporation!

Check out WW3 for iOS 9/10 - Widget-Weather 3.0

5. The Following User Says Thank You to King_O_Hill For This Useful Post:

TDH Advocate (2015-02-07)

Livin the iPhone Life Carvensno's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,820 Times in 798 Posts

I think people are getting tired of the app. A lot of my friends and myself don't really use it anymore, and my use was never a lot in the first place..

If users like something, they will figure out a way. Sounds like a lame excuse to me.

I only have the twitter app installed because other apps use its core. I never directly use the twitter app I use Tweetbot.

Thanks
    Thanked 16,467 Times in 7,697 Posts

It's the "casual" Twitter user they lost. Not the ardent daily Twitter users that use the main app or tweetbot. If there's even a hint of problem with an update of an app - the casual user (like me) will say - "this ain't worth it" and move onto to some other source.. The claim could be legit.