Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Touch ID Coming to Touchscreens?

What's Jailbreak? Michael Essany's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,491 Times in 577 Posts

Default Touch ID Coming to Touchscreens?

Apple may be tinkering with Touch ID again, this time planning to bring the cutting-edge security feature to its touchscreen displays.

According to details contained in a U.S. patent application by Apple, the iDevice maker may have aspirations of making Touch ID available without the need for today's currently deployed hardware in the home button of the iPhone.

"A fingerprint sensor is incorporated in a display stack in an electronic device," the patent application reads. "A single fingerprint can be captured at one time at a single pre-defined fixed location on a display. Alternatively, a single fingerprint can be acquired at one time at any location on a display."

Based on the design specs outlined and pictured, a finger print can be scanned from any location on the display screen.

"Alternatively, multiple touches on the display can be acquired substantially simultaneously where only one fingerprint is captured at a time or where all of the fingerprints are acquired at the same time," the application abstract continues. "The fingerprint sensor can be implemented as an integrated circuit connected to a bottom surface of a cover sheet, near the bottom surface of the cover sheet, or connected to a top surface of a display. Alternatively, the fingerprint sensor can be implemented as a full panel fingerprint sensor."

Whether or not this technology will soon be implemented in a refreshed iPhone or iPad remains to be seen. But Apple is evidently hard at work on taking Touch ID to the next level.

Source: FreePatentsOnline

Thanks

I wonder how much this would bump up the already high price? Personally I'd rather them just make a phone with a tougher screen.

My iPhone is a Part of Me bmwraw8482's Avatar
    Thanks

I think it would be nice to see a display behind the already existing home button/Touch ID sensor. It could replace the shutter button in the camera app, et al...

Default Touch ID Coming to Touchscreens?
    🔨📲🔓
    Last edited by vXBaKeRXv; 2015-02-06 at 05:11 AM.

Me too. I’m also wondering how they’ll get around accidental unlocks and handle security, it’s gotta be harder than with the current system.

Me too. Iím also wondering how theyíll get around accidental unlocks and handle security, itís gotta be harder than with the current system.

Okay, start your clocks and calendars... Samsung and Google will be announcing sometime soon, they will be developing something similar..... "We have to assure our Android users they can get that here too" (or some part of it)..... Haha, just saying "Monkey see, monkey do"

8. The Following User Says Thank You to psxcancer For This Useful Post:

TDH Advocate (2015-02-06)