Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Average Selling Price of Android Devices Drops to $254 while iPhones Surges to $687

What's Jailbreak? Akshay Masand's Avatar
    Thanks

Default Average Selling Price of Android Devices Drops to $254 while iPhones Surges to $687

New data from ABI Research highlights the large disparity between the iPhone and the rest of the mobile market by comparing the average selling price. When it comes to Apple’s smartphone lineup, the average selling price is now 2.7 times that of devices that are running Android. This is largely attributed to the $100 premium for the larger iPhone 6 Plus as well as the upsell incentives of higher capacity 64- and 128-GB models which have helped the average selling price of the iPhone increase to $687. In contrast, the average selling price of Android devices in the same quarter was just $254, a number which has fallen by more than $100 from the year prior.

The lower average selling price showcases how its leading manufacturer, Samsung, saw its profits drop 64.2% last quarter. In particular, sales of Samsung’s Galaxy lineup were demolished by sales of Apple’s larger iPhone 6 and 6 Plus which debuted last fall. Leading the way at the low end of the market has been the electronics manufacturer, Xiaomi, which had an estimated average selling price of $220 for its handsets last quarter.

On the other hand, Apple has steadily been increasing the average selling price of the iPhone while the rest of the smartphone market seems to struggle. The $687 average selling price was up from the sub $600 average selling price in the third quarter of fiscal 2014 as well. The blockbuster holiday quarter that Apple recorded was a testament to how wrong some market watchers were about claiming that the company should compete with low-cost Android devices to gain market share. Apple seems to have established itself as a luxury brand and has given up market share in favor of high margins on premium products that customers seem to want.

How do you feel about the situation as a whole?

Source: ABI Research via The Wall Street Journal

Twitter: @AkshayMasand

Which is why I don't buy Android devices. That devaluation is disgusting

I would love to see iPhones for $400! Let's be honest they are too expensive right now for a gadgets.. Market is full.. It's time for Apple to realize they are not that special.. After all we are (users) winners from all this

4. The Following User Says Thank You to sladyrko For This Useful Post:

Leolion311 (2015-02-09)

Quote Originally Posted by sladyrko View Post
    I would love to see iPhones for $400! Let's be honest they are too expensive right now for a gadgets.. Market is full.. It's time for Apple to realize they are not that special.. After all we are (users) winners from all this
    If you saw that, then you'd have cheap plastic iPhones. NO THANKS!!!

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sheltons.iphone For This Useful Post:

buggsy2 (2015-02-03), charliebordelon84 (2015-02-03)

Quote Originally Posted by sladyrko View Post
    The data in this article and from Apple's earnings say the opposite of what you're saying.

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Scotty Manley Silberhorn For This Useful Post:

buggsy2 (2015-02-03), charliebordelon84 (2015-02-03)

Let the android bashing begin....

Of course. Have you seen the plethora of cheap android phones all over in supermarkets and gas stations? There are plenty under $100, even $50. They're total junk, but if you really have to have a smartphone on the cheap it's your only option. So who cares. To each their own.

What a stupid comparison, that's all I have to say.

Thanks

Exactly same view I have,I will be paying for my upgrade in feb-2015 €499.00 for iPhone 6plus 64gb on a 2 year contract(eMobile).its too much as I can get Note 4 for €299 with bigger screen and more Ram and a QHD screen and I am contemplating which will be my next smartphone as I have iPhone 4 and Note 2 and iPad 3.But I would love to get a Nexus 6 but it's sold out.