Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: How to Keep Yourself From Randomly Being Redirected to the App Store All the Time

Default How to Keep Yourself From Randomly Being Redirected to the App Store All the Time

One of the very incredibly frustrating things of iOS is that if you tap on an App Store link by accident, or some auto-re-directing link gets opened on your device, you are re-directed to the App Store application whether you want to be or not.

It becomes a nuisance because sometimes you're finding yourself in the middle of something and then completely interrupted by the App Store as the applications make the switch on your device. Whether it was by accident or just a completely random bait-and-switch by a Web site link, there's no arguing that these auto-redirects are anything less than annoying.

If you want to change this for good, you can install a new free jailbreak tweak called NoAppStoreRedirect by iOS developer James Tanner. This tweak prompts you on whether or not you should be re-directed to the App Store application instead of just letting iOS re-directing you automatically.

Shown above, you can see the prompt that appears when iOS attempts to re-direct you to the App Store application. You now have the power to either say yes or no to being re-directed, so that if it wasn't intentional, you can get back to whatever you were doing.

The tweak adds a preferences pane to the Settings application where you can not only enable or disable the tweak on demand, but also view how many times that App Store re-directs have been blocked:

If you want to add this tweak to your jailbroken device arsenal, the good news is that it can be had absolutely free of charge right now from Cydia's BigBoss repository. the tweak works with both iOS 7 and iOS 8. Check it out!

Name: NoAppStoreRedirect
    Price: FREE
    Version: 0.3-1
    Requirements: iOS 7.0-8.1.2
    Tested on: iPhone 5 running iOS 8.1.2
    Repo: BigBoss
    Developer: James Tanner
    Editor's Rating:  5/5

Cydia is the worst for this

3. The Following User Says Thank You to scroogelives For This Useful Post:

Sage I (2015-01-23)

Thanks
    Thanked 3,891 Times in 1,567 Posts

Absolutely

I'm getting this same message offering to decide on redirect though the pop up looks slightly different. It only pops up in Cydia. Did Saurik implement something like this in Cydia?

Saurik implemented a redirect popup within Cydia.

My tweak also blocks MovieBox specifically without confirmation popups as that app is a nightmare for redirects.

iOS6 support coming shortly (Will work with iOS6, iOS7.x, iOS8.x)

Sidenote: Developer is supposed to show as IAmOrion - I use that as my dev nickname. Not sure why Optimo placed my full name this time. Meh.
    Last edited by jtanner; 2015-01-23 at 03:28 PM.
    do'h

Question Auto Option?
    Quote Originally Posted by jtanner View Post
    Saurik implemented a redirect popup within Cydia.

My tweak also blocks MovieBox specifically without confirmation popups as that app is a nightmare for redirects.

iOS6 support coming shortly (Will work with iOS6, iOS7.x, iOS8.x)

Sidenote: Developer is supposed to show as IAmOrion - I use that as my dev nickname. Not sure why Optimo placed my full name this time. Meh.
    Is it possible for an option to exist where the tweak acts on its own without having to press 'yes' or 'no'? Pressing no several times on some things in Cydia could take just as long as going to the App Store, swearing, then going back to where you were. 😳

Quote Originally Posted by tattoohead View Post
    Is it possible for an option to exist where the tweak acts on its own without having to press 'yes' or 'no'? Pressing no several times on some things in Cydia could take just as long as going to the App Store, swearing, then going back to where you were. ��
    The thing here is that Saurik, by design, implemented his own AppStore Redirect Prompt within Cydia. Are you sure it's not his popup you're seeing?

I will consider making the prompt optional. The problem is people (I'm terrible for doing this) forget it's turned on, then get annoyed wondering why a link pressed to the appstore, say from an article on MMI like the top 5 apps this week or whatever, does nothing. It appears "broken" as nothing happens ... after 10mins of getting annoyed, then remembering AppStore Redirects are blocked with no prompt. I will see if there's much demand for it. (email me via cydia to request this if it's of interest so I can gauge how many want it)
    do'h

It's about time. I've had some pages open it up as many as 4 times per page, and it's been extremely annoying. Glad someone finally made this tweak.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by tattoohead View Post
    Is it possible for an option to exist where the tweak acts on its own without having to press 'yes' or 'no'? Pressing no several times on some things in Cydia could take just as long as going to the App Store, swearing, then going back to where you were. 😳
    How about some settings of making it app specific? I know for a fact I don't want to go to the app store from Cydia but I might want to from say Chrome or Safari..

Just a thought.

Thanks for this tho....

DLW

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by scroogelives View Post
    Cydia is the worst for this
    The only place I that I get directed towards the App Store from is Cydia...

Thanks

Things in Cydia are much nicer since Saurik added his App Store redirect prompt...

It would be great if you could block this per-site in the settings.

Does this stop the annoying ads from redirecting like in trivia crack when you miss the x button?

Well.. this worked for a little while and I was pleased.. Then this evening, I got appSTORE redirected!! LOL.. time to delete.

Default How to Keep Yourself From Randomly Being Redirected to the App Store All the ...
    Mazzanic: or better yet - be helpful, tell me for what app it didn't work with or what it didn't block so I can replicate it then fix.

Don't just delete and not say anything as that's not productive. Please contact me via Cydia and I will then try to replicate and release a fix

DQEight: please use the contact via Cydia giving me an App Store link to the app in question (I feel a slight sense of irony there) and also explain to me what it does etc and if my tweak doesn't already work in that app I will try to fix and update

Raptor2213: per site or per app!? I'm not convinced per site would be ideal but may consider looking into it at a later date
    Last edited by jtanner; 2015-01-24 at 11:43 AM.
    do'h

I got this specifically for movie box as adblocker didn't work for me, afraid this didn't work too.

Quote Originally Posted by blagger69 View Post
    I got this specifically for movie box as adblocker didn't work for me, afraid this didn't work too.
    Can you give me more specifics? Did you respring first? Do you have any other "app store redirect" style apps installed. It's possible they may be attempting to hook the same function and be causing an anomaly. Please, contact me via Cydia so I can try and see why it is not working for you and then I can attempt a fix.

IF you have a mac I can also talk you through viewing the console log (using xcode) to look for 'live' data (I wrote some NSLogs in my code along the way to aid in debugging)
    do'h

I did respring... Also rebooted. I did have adblocker installed too so uninstalled and rebooted again. I uninstalled this app too and rebooted and reinstalled but that moviebox tries to direct me almost every 10
    Seconds.

Quote Originally Posted by blagger69 View Post
    I did respring... Also rebooted. I did have adblocker installed too so uninstalled and rebooted again. I uninstalled this app too and rebooted and reinstalled but that moviebox tries to direct me almost every 10
    Seconds.
    Do you have a Mac?
    do'h

Default How to Keep Yourself From Randomly Being Redirected to the App Store All the ...
    Sorry I forgot to mention... No I'm using iPhone 5s on 8.1.2

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast