Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Snowden Says He Won't Use an iPhone

What's Jailbreak? Michael Essany's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,491 Times in 577 Posts

Default Snowden Says He Won't Use an iPhone

He's a traitor to some and a hero to others. Whichever camp you fall into, the world famous whistleblower has an indirect message for you: proceed with caution if you use an iPhone.

Sputnik News reports that the ex-NSA contractor won't use the Apple device. Why? The device "has software able to collect personal information regarding its owner."

Snowden's lawyer, Anatoly Kucherena, made the case this week according to published reports.

“Edward never uses an IPhone, he’s got a simple phone… The iPhone has special software that can activate itself without the owner, having to press a button and gather information about him, that’s why on security grounds he refused to have this phone,” Kucherena argues.

Snowden and his representatives call his decision to not use an iPhone a "personal choice" and was careful not to defame Apple in the process of explanation.

Source: Sputnik News

Is there a solution to this? Or maybe a JB tweak or modification that protects the user or encrypts iPhone traffic?

It can be turned off but yes ios 7 and 8 will track your movements if you dont turn it off.

Sent from space

iPhone? More like MyPhone jackbauerctu's Avatar
    Thanks

And how does one turn it off? It doesn't sound like it's a simple location services issue...

If you're going to be spied on and/or accessing your personal data, they're going to access your info regardless of what device or service or what not... I have no clue why everyone freaks out like this is new information... Technology will never be "fully" secure.

7. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to mazzanic For This Useful Post:

bk4life (2015-01-22), novadam (2015-01-22), Silverado1987 (2015-01-21)

Well yeah but you can do simple things like turn off thing like that to help protect your privacy and info

Sent from space

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    Unless they want to see a picture of my shlong, I got nothing else to hide.

10. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Nickaaahh For This Useful Post:

Jokadaking (2015-01-23), jsuddu0109 (2015-01-23), novadam (2015-01-22), Silverado1987 (2015-01-21)

Quote Originally Posted by Nickaaahh View Post
    Unless they want to see a picture of my shlong, I got nothing else to hide.
    Exactly

Like what kind of information. Go to my Facebook. There's my info. Macy's has my info for crying out loud. Macy's knows where I live. You can turn on my camera. Your gonna see my face or my awesome region. There choice. Lol. A lot of places have my credit card info. Going to my iPhone is the last place to look.
    The government is who you shouldn't worry about only because it's not like it's hard. They have everything about you already.

If there was a way, be it jailbreak or so, i am sure an expert like Snowden would have known (and used) it. Don't you think ?

My iPhone is a Part of Me
    Thanks

Pssssssh...the Russians made him say this because of Apple raising the price of good in the app store because the rubble is shite!

My iPhone is a Part of Me hitman10's Avatar
    Thanks

im sure if its as easy as disabling location services then snowden would buy an iphone... mhmm.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to hitman10 For This Useful Post:

HovikGas (2015-01-22)

Who gives a poop about him??!!

I wonder if he stays away from all smartphones, or if it's just the iPhone.

The lawyer said simple phone. Is that the polite way to say dumbphone?

Livin' the SPIDEY Life SpiderManAPV's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Jahooba View Post
    I wonder if he stays away from all smartphones, or if it's just the iPhone.

The lawyer said simple phone. Is that the polite way to say dumbphone?
    It sounds like he has a phone with calling and 0 else, so yeah.

......beware......
    Just your friendly neighborhood Spider-Man!

Thanks

If you are the target of any government security agency.

No matter what you do your phone, you will still be track. Unless the phone is damage.

With NFC nowadays, even you turn off location you can still be track using relay network such as walking pass any NFC enable device because every phone have a unique identifier.
    Last edited by kelkel5313; 2015-01-22 at 03:04 AM.
    Kelvin Ong

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Silverado1987 View Post
    Exactly

Like what kind of information. Go to my Facebook. There's my info. Macy's has my info for crying out loud. Macy's knows where I live. You can turn on my camera. Your gonna see my face or my awesome region. There choice. Lol. A lot of places have my credit card info. Going to my iPhone is the last place to look.
    The government is who you shouldn't worry about only because it's not like it's hard. They have everything about you already.
    I used to think this way too, but you should really read this post. It will change how you view this topic.

For those of you wondering, no, there really is no way to stop this. iOS is a closed up and locked down platform, so you really never know what's there. Sure, you can use a decompiler, but you're still never getting all of the real code behind your OS. The same applies to Android, unless you're using a ROM based on the Android Open Source Project (AOSP) (Android, not AOSP, is a modified version of AOSP that is used by manufacturers for their phones. It is closed source, but since the AOSP source code is out, and Android is based on AOSP, we know most of the code there, but we really don't know what else is hidden there that isn't in AOSP since it's closed source).

TL;DR: don't let your government spy on you, and if you have the option, switching ROMs is a good start. For iPhone users, jailbreak and find whatever privacy tweaks you can find.

21. The Following User Says Thank You to H4CK3R For This Useful Post:

se23 (2015-01-22)

Quote Originally Posted by H4CK3R View Post
    I used to think this way too, but you should really read this post. It will change how you view this topic.

For those of you wondering, no, there really is no way to stop this. iOS is a closed up and locked down platform, so you really never know what's there. Sure, you can use a decompiler, but you're still never getting all of the real code behind your OS. The same applies to Android, unless you're using a ROM based on the Android Open Source Project (AOSP) (Android, not AOSP, is a modified version of AOSP that is used by manufacturers for their phones. It is closed source, but since the AOSP source code is out, and Android is based on AOSP, we know most of the code there, but we really don't know what else is hidden there that isn't in AOSP since it's closed source).

TL;DR: don't let your government spy on you, and if you have the option, switching ROMs is a good start. For iPhone users, jailbreak and find whatever privacy tweaks you can find.
    I haven't read the link yet and I will but the bottom part of your post. You think a privacy tweak or a rom is gonna stop the government?

Quote Originally Posted by H4CK3R View Post

I've read that post and still am of the opinion that I have nothing to hide. I suspect that many of the people that are paranoid are breaking the law in some way and are scared of being discovered. If spying on my activities eliminates me from their suspect list and helps put a child molestor, thief, terrorist, murderer, drug dealer, or some other criminal behind bars, I'm all for it. I want peace of mind so I can sleep better at night.

Oh and for those that sympathize for Snowden read this article. China denies suggestions it stole designs for new U.S. fighter - CNN.com
    Because of his data leaks we've got China and who knows what other country (North Korea, Iran, etc) with blueprints for our latest stealth technology. Why anyone would consider him a hero is beyond me.
    Last edited by Mr-sandman; 2015-01-22 at 03:46 AM.

My iPhone is a Part of Me
    Thanks

Any "GPS" is a tracker. ROMs or tweaks won't matter when your car is tracked via built in GPS. Best way to be safe, is to be SAFE. Don't do chit that's illegal or stupid and you'll be fine. If you break the law they'll find you. Regardless of how "secure" you think you are with your technology.
    Here's a comment a chick left on that first link;

"Welp, that just got turned off. Imagine what this could do to relationships. Now they know how to find out where you've been and how long you were there. That ****'s scary."

Apple is just catching cheaters guys. They'd never sell us out :-)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast