Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Chinese Manufacturer Oppo Makes Sapphire Phone Before Apple

What's Jailbreak? Akshay Masand's Avatar
    Thanks

Default Chinese Manufacturer Oppo Makes Sapphire Phone Before Apple

Before Apple unveiled the iPhone 6 and 6 Plus devices, rumors circulated the web claiming that the new iPhones would have a sapphire glass display. Rumors were going around for a long time coming that Apple wanted their phones to have incorporate sapphire glass. But it seems like a Chinese manufacturer Oppo got to it before the Cupertino-based company did. Oppo released a new mobile device, the RC1, and it sports a 5-inch display and a sapphire back panel.

The RC1 definitely looks familiar as it probably got its inspiration from Apple devices. Like Apple’s iPhone 4s, the RC1 has a metallic band around the edge and speaker and microphone holes on the bottom like Apple’s iPhone 5s. The sapphire glass is on the back of the device, which Oppo calls the ‘Diamond Mirror.’ On the inside, the RC1 sports 16GB of storage, 2GB of RAM, a 5-megapixel front camera, a 13-megapixel rear camera with a Sony IMX214 sensor, dual SIM card slots, a Qualcomm 64-bit Snapdragon 615 processor, and a 2,420 mAh battery.

Oppo’s RC1 retails at $400 and is available to preorder in India currently. It is unclear whether the RC1 will be made available in other countries after the launch. But hopefully, Apple will have sapphire display devices soon.

Source: Oppo

Twitter: @AkshayMasand

Livin the iPhone Life Carvensno's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,820 Times in 798 Posts

Who cares about a Sapphire back panel LOL? Going to be covered up by a case anyways. Might be news if it was the front panel display! So again? Why is this news?

3. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Carvensno For This Useful Post:

aceestes (2015-01-14), buggsy2 (2015-01-15), docmagoo2 (2015-01-14), Eonhpi (2015-01-15), NSXrebel (2015-01-15), oldskoolsk8r (2015-01-14), SpiderManAPV (2015-01-14)

Exactly. It's not a sapphire display..... Duh

5. The Following User Says Thank You to docmagoo2 For This Useful Post:

Carvensno (2015-01-15)

Fail device. Fail article by MMi.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to NSXrebel For This Useful Post:

Carvensno (2015-01-15)

I'm not convinced that sapphire is the best material to make a phone out of.

Sapphire is brittle and can still shatter when dropped and smudge-resistant coatings won't stick to it.

And the cost, ugh. I don't think it's worth it. I'd rather that money go into more RAM or a better battery or camera.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Jahooba For This Useful Post:

SpiderManAPV (2015-01-15)

iPhone? More like MyPhone doogee's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by NSXrebel View Post
    Fail device. Fail article by MMi.
    I'm sorry have you personally used this device? What makes it so "fail"? Because it doesn't have an apple on it?

The purpose of the article was to show another company beat Apple to the punch.

Quote Originally Posted by Carvensno View Post
    Who cares about a Sapphire back panel LOL? Going to be covered up by a case anyways. Might be news if it was the front panel display! So again? Why is this news?
    not everyone requires a case. I understand being young and at times clumsy, but not everyone is like you. why aesthetically ruin the look of such a beautiful device?

Quote Originally Posted by doogee View Post
    I'm sorry have you personally used this device? What makes it so "fail"? Because it doesn't have an apple on it?

The purpose of the article was to show another company beat Apple to the punch.
    Fail because this phone uses sapphire glass on the back panel, NOT the display panel. So it didn't beat Apple to any punch.

iPhone? More like MyPhone doogee's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by NSXrebel View Post
    Fail because this phone uses sapphire glass on the back panel, NOT the display panel. So it didn't beat Apple to any punch.
    As far as getting sapphire into production for a phone, yes they beat them. Which is impressive for a much smaller Chinese company. That's why it's news.

Quote Originally Posted by doogee View Post
    As far as getting sapphire into production for a phone, yes they beat them. Which is impressive for a much smaller Chinese company. That's why it's news.
    Wanna take a stab at the numbers they'll be producing?

I bet this company couldn't produce phones in the quantity Apple does AND include the same sapphire back panel, let alone the display panel.

Thanks
    Thanked 5,057 Times in 2,011 Posts

I understand what Doogee's point is and what NSXrebel is saying. I've gotta lean towards NSX's comments because 'technically' this didn't fulfill the rumors of what Apple was supposedly going to do.

A glass back panel is not the same as a touchscreen nor is it a good idea (as proven w/ the ip4/4S). I applaud the company for bringing sapphire to the market, first, but it doesn't mean that it's a game changer.

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to thazsar For This Useful Post:

NSXrebel (2015-01-15), SpiderManAPV (2015-01-15)

Well Quality issues seem to be a big concern with Apple in the production of the Sapphire Display. This is why Apple did not include the Sapphire Display an iPhone 6 and iPhone 6+. Consequently, I'm sure a clone phone is not going to have the same concerns or quality.