Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Google Announces World Lens Instant Translation for Google Translate App for iOS

Default Google Announces World Lens Instant Translation for Google Translate App for iOS

On Wendesday, Google took to its public blog to announce a major new update to its Google Translate application for mobile devices, including the iOS platform.

Later today, the update will be available. Among some of the more important features is the ability to use the new World Lens feature, which can take advantage of the iOS device's camera in order to take in information from a different language and then display it on the screen in English, as shown in the animated GIF image above.

For example, if you can only speak English, and you're in Spain looking at a sign that you don't understand, you can whip out your handy dandy Google Translate application, open the World Lens camera option, and instantly you'll be looking at the sign from a Spaniard's eyes – making you fully capable of understanding the sign.

Google notes that World Lens only works in the following languages currently (although support for more languages is coming soon):

• English
    • French
    • German
    • Italian
    • Portuguese
    • Russian
    • Spanish

The update also makes it easier to translate text in real time while you're in the middle of a conversation. The application offers the ability to tap on a microphone button while someone is talking, and the language of the person talking will automatically be detected and translated for you in real time:

For more information about the update, you can head over to Google's blog at this link. The update will be rolling out over the next few days to all users for free for both iOS and Android users.

The Google Translate application for iOS can be downloaded for free from this App Store link.

Sources: Google

My iPhone is a Part of Me buggsy2's Avatar
    Thanks

Add Chinese and Japanese and this would be really useful.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to buggsy2 For This Useful Post:

SpiderManAPV (2015-01-14)

Default Google Announces World Lens Instant Translation for Google Translate App for iOS
    WordLens does this... will be interesting to compare the two.

EDIT - Nvm... I see that Google BOUGHT WordLens. And it's "Word", not "World".
    Last edited by ChicagoV; 2015-01-14 at 06:39 PM.
    Reminding you all that YOU'RE YOUR

Livin the iPhone Life vinaygoel2000's Avatar
    Thanks

I hope it'll support iPhone 6 & 6+ resolution.

Livin' the SPIDEY Life SpiderManAPV's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by buggsy2 View Post
    Add Chinese and Japanese and this would be really useful.
    I'm taking a Japanese class and have to look up words in the text fairly often. This would make my life.

......beware......
    Just your friendly neighborhood Spider-Man!

Tried several different languages and did NOT work. Said I needed to zoom, so I zoomed (no dice). Then said choose language, I have done so, and still no dice. App is very buggy and doesn't work as well as video shows.

*** Update, iPhone 6 plus user *** palm in face.