Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: How to Invoke Siri's Song Recognition With an Activator Gesture

Default How to Invoke Siri's Song Recognition With an Activator Gesture

Every once in a while, you might find yourself wanting to tag a song that you hear in the background and like. iOS 8 gives you Siri integration with Shazam so that you can simply ask Siri what the song is, and then she'll listen and let you know. Unfortunately, sometimes the music is too loud to ask Siri this question and it would be better if you didn't have to ask.

A new free jailbreak tweak called What's this song, Siri? by iOS developer Mohammad Abu-Garbeyyeh is now available in Cydia that makes it so that instead of having to ask Siri what a song is, you can just invoke an Activator action of your choice in order to invoke Siri and have her start listening to the song to figure out what it is for you.

The tweak simply adds a new function to the Activator options so that you can assign it to a gesture, but apart from this, the tweak comes with no options to configure:

Now once you assign this gesture, just invoke it when you're ready and Siri will begin listening for music before tagging the song for you and letting you know what's playing. It's that easy.

If you want to give What's this song, Siri? a try, it's available for free right now in Cydia's BigBoss repository. Because the tweak relies on Activator, you need to have Activator installed to use it and it will be installed automatically with What's this song, Siri? if you don't already have it installed. The tweak also requires iOS 8.

What's this song, Siri? is an open source jailbreak tweak and this means that the source code is available for all to view. You can head over to GitHub at this link to check it out.

Name: What's this song, Siri?
    Price: FREE
    Version: 1.0.0-8
    Requirements: iOS 8.0-8.1.2, Activator
    Tested on: iPhone 5 running iOS 8.1.2
    Repo: BigBoss
    Developer: Mohammad Abu-Garbeyyeh
    Editor's Rating:  5/5

In case this doesn't work for anyone for any reason, I actually set this up a bit ago with just simple Activator alone (because my carrier sucks and asking Siri anything takes longer than it should).

To do this with just Activator, simply choose your desired Activator action, tap "More," tap "Ask Siri," and then type "What song is this?" Then boom. Now you can click that Activator action and she'll get right down to business.
    Last edited by Christophxr; 2015-01-04 at 10:13 PM.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Christophxr For This Useful Post:

buggsy2 (2015-01-06)

Quote Originally Posted by Christophxr View Post
    In case this doesn't work for anyone for any reason, I actually set this up with just simple Activator because my carrier sucks and asking Siri anything takes longer than it should.

Simply choose your desired Activator action, tap "More," tap "Ask Siri," and then type "What song is this?" Then boom.
    I did the same thing. About 3 months ago.

Quote Originally Posted by Werty12 View Post
    I did the same thing. About 3 months ago.
    Yep, the moment I saw that iOS 8 would have Shazam integrated into Siri, I knew exactly what I was going to do.

Quote Originally Posted by Christophxr View Post
    Yep, the moment I saw that iOS 8 would have Shazam integrated into Siri, I knew exactly what I was going to do.
    Hmmm...maybe I'm doing something wrong but I can't seem to get your method working from the lockscreen (it does work from the homescreen). When I'm on the lockscreen the assigned (via Activator) gesture starts Siri just fine, however, instead of listening for music it brings up the tutorial of things I can ask Siri to do. Being able to start Siri in 'music listening' mode from the lockscreen is preferred since, invariably, I find myself trying to figure out the title/artist of a song at (or near) the song's end.

This "What's This Song, Siri" tweak works, oddly enough, from the lockscreen. Do you have any idea how to get your method working from the lockscreen without having to install this tweak? I prefer to keep my installed tweaks to a minimum.